Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

PLEASE HELP on Clutch/flywheel problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default PLEASE HELP on Clutch/flywheel problem!

I recently had the clutchmasters stage 4 (FX400) and clutchmasters lightweight flywheel on my car. Today when on the highway, I heard a grinding type noise so i decided to try figuring out what was going on. It seems to only make this grinding noise at speeds of 50mph or higher in 4th or 5th gear and its only when you release the throttle. Also if I put the car in neutral and rev it , you can hear the same grind when I release the throttle when its over 3k rpm. This is not the grinding noise you hear when you switch gears without putting the clutch pedal all the way in. Its more along the lines of going 20mph and being in 5th gear and you hear this weird type of grinding noise. Other than the noise, the car seems to drive fine, but it seems a tad bit slower, even though that might be because I just upgraded to some larger, heavier wheels. Anyone know what the problem might be? When first installing a clutch/flywheel are you supposed to wait a while to break it in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it more of a loud grinding or light chattering?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its not a loud grinding. Sounds more like there is some friction between something which causes it to make this very light grinding/chattering noise. Can be this a serious problem or is some noise ok?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simez2003
Its not a loud grinding. Sounds more like there is some friction between something which causes it to make this very light grinding/chattering noise. Can be this a serious problem or is some noise ok?
Did you reuse the factory throw out bearing, or did you use the one that came with the clutch? I bet it's the throw out bearing. The metal bearing that comes with aftermarket clutch kits always makes noise when not properly lubbed up. Sometimes they make the noise regardless of what you do. I always use a brand new factory throw out bearing when I replace a clutch. I would look into that first. Only bad part about it is, to get rid of the noise the tranny will have to come out again
Old 06-25-2005, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ yea I was thinking throwout bearing or perhaps pilot bearing but they should come with new ones with the clutch kit...talk to draven..I think he was having that same problem and it could just be clutch chatter
Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

y would u get a stage 4, r u on the track everyday?
Old 06-26-2005, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is the stage IV clutch? How many puck disc did you get, 4 or 6? How does it drive compared to stock? Does it light up, stop or go? I was considering between stage 3 or 4 and like to get more info about each!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

puck with nonsprung hub? If so you are hearing gear shift fork rattle, it goes away when you push on the clutch or at least changes noise. can be very loud at idle in neutral too. Why are you running a racing clutch on the street?
Old 06-26-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a 4 puck stage 4 in our gray car and there is no chatter. Until some of the above questions are answered I will leave there suggestions as the first to check.

By the noise only being at engine speeds of over 3k I would assume that this is not normal chatter and their is a problem. When the car is making the noise in 4th and the what is the engine speed? what is the tps % approx...

-zpi
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chatter happends during engagement due to the lack of marcel as well as harder facings. Gear / shift fork rattle happends while clutch is OUT, it is a NORMAL thing hence the OEM uses springs in the hub to obsorbe the the noise. IMO of course..
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldman
chatter happends during engagement due to the lack of marcel as well as harder facings. Gear / shift fork rattle happends while clutch is OUT, it is a NORMAL thing hence the OEM uses springs in the hub to obsorbe the the noise. IMO of course..
ah..learn something new everyday
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how is the flywheel doing for you? in very intrested in getting one
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member

i have the same problem simez2003 is having. long story short, i went thru the stock clutch before i hit 20,000 miles. dealership wouldn't cover it under warranty so i had them put in a clutchmasters stage 3 clutch. i didn't notice the grinding sound until about 6 months after the install. it's exactly what simez was talking about though. i don't hear it at ANY time other then on a deaccel between 70-60 mph. any other time it's smooth and no sounds on accel or deaccel. i took it into another scion dealership to see if they could tell me what it was and cover it under warranty (since i was there for cam shafts put into the car covered under warranty) but they gave me an idea of what it might be and told me to go back to the dealership that installed it. but the mechanic there that looked at the car had been in the trans business for 15 years or more said that he believes it's a spring rattle and told me that there's not much i can do unless i want to pay for them to take the trans apart.

the sound is like a metal grinding sound along with like a catalytic sheild rattle or marbles in the trans. lol that's the best i can describe it. but again.... only on a deaccel and at specific mph.

any suggestions or ideas or solutions?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i thought with any aftermarket clutch upgrade you need to break in first.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey give me a call this just happened to me too 5419804312 ask for justin
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutchmasters

I have had this problem happened to me before also. Many of my friends have this happened too. Mine was on a prelude though, and my friends had civics. We never found out what was the problem, but one thing that we all had in common was that we all used clutchmasters. So, I think that there is something wrong with the clutchmaster throw out bearings.