Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

port matching (gasket match) your intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Default port matching (gasket match) your intake manifold

just wondering if anybody has read anything on this or performed it before. it sounds like a really interesting DIY. Import Tuner had this to say:

"Intake Manifold Gasket Matching:As they come from the factory, the ports on most intake manifolds don't line up perfectly with the ports on the head. This is because of loose manufacturing tolerances to keep machining and tooling costs low. As a result, there is often a lip or bump where the head and manifold meet, causing a significant restriction and reduction in airflow. Gasket matching removes this restriction and can increase power-all for free! All you have to do is place the gasket on the head, then bust out the Dremel and hog out the ports until they perfectly match the gasket. Repeat on the intake manifold and, viola, you're done!"
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind trying as long as it yeilded some sort of positive outcome.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you can do that on the head, but the manifold itself is plastic so i dont think grinding it down would be good, might make the plastic weak... also, i did this to my previous car (corolla) and it helps a little but not much...
Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm
Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

MY take on it is that with the way the tC is set up its not really worth the effort. If you are going to work on the head might as well go ahead and at least PnP it. The IM is plastic and I wouldnt really care to see it messed with. If you say no to the head then there is the World Racing IM that you can get for about $700. that "should" clear up any flow issues.

But thats just my $.02
Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope I dont get flamed for asking but.. What would a port and polish do for a n/a tc. I mean obviously I plan/hope for boost but money isn't exactly flowing at the moment. Would it be worth having it done by itself?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

No.. I wouldnt PnP a tC head by itself.

If you are certain that you are going boost and not N/A then I wouldnt sweat it at all... at least not until you start {if ever} hunting BIG numbers.

The gains for a PnP that has full supporting bolt ons and a tune will get you between 185-195whp if you work it rite. But alone you wont see the kinds of gains you would want.. and its by far more costly then your basic bolt ons. {numbers are based on a N/A setup}

Boost .. if thats how you want to go not alot of what you do before then will carry over. You can carry over a 2.5 in exhaust.. but a 3' is better for boost.. and 3 is to much for N/A setup.

So either accept up front that you are going to spend some money that you will lose with bolt ons before bost.. or leave her stock till you boost her.

The only break in that rule is your suspension/wheel&tire package etc.

But thats just my take on it.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you very well explained! I've come to terms with spending 4-5k on a reliable boost set up. At the moment I'm trying to decide if its better for me to buy as a package or just design a kit myself and buy the parts as I go.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

In the final discussion of it all.. it really depends on what kind of power you want and what your driving/tuning goals are. I am by FAR a bigger fan or custom kits.... Boost... unlike a snuggy is not one size fits all.
I would say talk to Paul at Dezod.. He can help get you pointed and they can fab up. set you up with.. or guide you into ANYTHING your heart desires and your pocket book can carry.

As for me.. I am doing an N/A build... after I break 215 whp I will then go boost.. and head for 450whp .... but thats a different story.

hope it helps.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im useing a s/c for my set up ported and polished head and port match, BC stage 2 cams, full exhaust, intercooler and meth inject, and im hitting 345hp
Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the advice I will talk to Paul. I have the same views. I just think that if I/we designed my own kit to fit my needs I would be much much happier. I very quietly troll the Forced Induction section to one day post my own pictures! I have 60k on my 08 right now and reliability is my number one concern. When I do go boost I think I would rather upgrade the internals as needed. I'd be satisfied with 300whp on low PSI. So far for internals I really only plan on going cams and maybe a PnP. Would I really need anything else to reliably run 300whp?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

cmc dynosheet of said 345hp?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i couldn't find the 345hp but i found the 325hp im headed back to next month, i need a retune. ill get an updated dyno then. or sooner
Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok im posting dyno at 325hp, this still running rich and no intercooler i hit 345hp with intercooler and leaner tune Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  102.3 KB
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionSnowman
Thanks for the advice I will talk to Paul. I have the same views. I just think that if I/we designed my own kit to fit my needs I would be much much happier. I very quietly troll the Forced Induction section to one day post my own pictures! I have 60k on my 08 right now and reliability is my number one concern. When I do go boost I think I would rather upgrade the internals as needed. I'd be satisfied with 300whp on low PSI. So far for internals I really only plan on going cams and maybe a PnP. Would I really need anything else to reliably run 300whp?

With a custom kit and a good tune you can hit 300 whp and matching tq figures on the stock block and guts. There are a couple of guys on here that are doing so.. and I know at least 3 guys Here in Dallas that are as well.