Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

port and polish scion tc head

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ And to not hit the water jackets..
Old 08-14-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

$475 for the turbotrix port - i wonder how much for labor - also - i doubt they have done any tcs so I dont know if I would be inclinded to go to a place like that
Old 08-15-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ And to not hit the water jackets..
Yeah, I have only ported heads I have cut spares in half to know where the water jackets are. That is something I am very conscious of. It also determines how far you can port the intake/exhaust ports. I also use a burette to confirm combustion chamber volume. :D
Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hPower
Originally Posted by jwaggz82
ha - are you very experienced or are you unexperienced and leading people into believing this can be done by the unexperienced?

PnP should be done via an experienced person that has been in the scene for a while. There are tricks and tips that an experienced person will know. Don't think about doing this yourself guys (unless you know what you are doing).
Absolutely correct. This is NOT something you want to attempt yourself. Big companies that are well known for good P&P jobs actually spend a lot of money on testing to come up with a final design for each head. It's not like you can just take a knife and go at it. Please be careful what you do when getting head and who you get it from
I agree with both of you 100 percent. I spent alot of money at a very good school to learn high performance engine building and have done this before. if you buy a used head you should have it checked out by a machine shop to make sure it is good quality first. and yes it does take some practice but is not as hard or complicated as many of you think. you may not get the same results but can save a lot of money practicing and doeing some research, and just doing it yourself. however if you are not confidant you can do this don't attempt it.

there is alot good info on the web if you take your time to read carefully about the process and using the tools to do it. if you do decide to make this attempt please for your own good find a practice head. this does not have to be true or a perfect cast. you can do it with a cracked head if all you are doing is practicing. this will help you with learning how each stone and paper work and also what you should expect to take off.

I encourage any one who wants a p&p head to go the junk yard, find a used aluminum head for cheap and attempt to do it. if you think you did a moderate job, try agian with another junk head. if you still have no confidance leave it to the pro's.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there really isn't that much engineering into it. the principal is to smooth over any rough surface's and get rid of obstructions to the flow of air. you should not try to go with a big bore, or just make the chambers larger. these heads are designed pretty well and the stock chamber size is really great. all you want to do is smooth over obsructions, and get air to flow through.