Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Possible drive train problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Question Possible drive train problem?

First off, my car is a 06 tc (Automatic) with no modifications to the drive train.

I noticed a while back that there was a humming noise coming from the rear/underneath of the car while driving my car faster than 30-35 mph. Also, the humming noise increases the faster I go. A while back I wasn't driving my car very often so I didn't pay much attention to it early on. Well now that I'm using it more often that same noise is back and is gradually getting worse! I can't pin point exactly where the noise is coming but it's definitely coming somewhere from the behind the back seats. I was wondering if anyone's ran into this issue also? I'm thinking it's a bearing (wheel) going bad somewhere back there? If it's not a bearing what might else could it possibly be? My car is now out of warranty so I thought I'd get some input from you guys/gals instead of the dealer after not seeing a related post already in the power train section. If you can help out it is much appreciated in advance!

Last edited by tC-N-TC; 02-25-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car makes the same noise but i dont think the wheel bearing is going out cause on my previous car, that would go out about every 3 months or so and it would sound nasty as if the whole wheel itself was going to snap off.... im thinking it might be tire noise?? i recently changed my front tires back in july and ever since then ive noticed that same or similar noise that you hear coming from the front end...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Question

Originally Posted by NB_tC06
my car makes the same noise but i dont think the wheel bearing is going out cause on my previous car, that would go out about every 3 months or so and it would sound nasty as if the whole wheel itself was going to snap off.... im thinking it might be tire noise?? i recently changed my front tires back in july and ever since then ive noticed that same or similar noise that you hear coming from the front end...
Sounds plausible however I changed from my stock rims and tires to 18's (Falkens) with Crosshairs over 1 & 1/2 years ago and am just now noticing that noise unlike yours who you stated began immediately every since making the change. I can give the rotating of tires a shot but I'm not really sure that would fix my problem but hey, I should try the less expensive route 1st eh? I did a little research here and found some threads with bearings going out and someone suggested I jack the car up, spin the tires manually and if I still hear or feel that same noise then the bearing is faulty. Thank you for your input though as all help is much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first step would be rotating the tires and see if the noise moves to a different corner or tire, also check for unusual tire wear while doing it, and air pressure in the tires. i know we have TPMS but it never hurts to guess.

if the noise stays in the rear, it could maybe be a bearing, or something with the brakes, might even take a look at the brakes and such while rotating the tires too.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC-N-TC
Sounds plausible however I changed from my stock rims and tires to 18's (Falkens) with Crosshairs over 1 & 1/2 years ago and am just now noticing that noise unlike yours who you stated began immediately every since making the change. I can give the rotating of tires a shot but I'm not really sure that would fix my problem but hey, I should try the less expensive route 1st eh? I did a little research here and found some threads with bearings going out and someone suggested I jack the car up, spin the tires manually and if I still hear or feel that same noise then the bearing is faulty. Thank you for your input though as all help is much appreciated!

well actually i didn't notice it immediately, just about a couple weeks ago i noticed that noise. i know it's not bearing failure cause i know how that sounds and this tire sound is no where near to what a faulty bearing sounds like, but ya rotate the tires and see if the noise is still in the same place and another way you can check bearing failure is jack up the car and rock the tire as if you are trying to take the tire off and if you notice a lot of slack, then the bearing is out and needs to be changed ASAP....