Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it used

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it used

Ok, well my car now is about 1.5 years old. and Ive noticed some power loss or accel doesnt pick up as fast as it used to. I changed oil and then it seemed to be like new again, but now its been a week and its back to what it used to, taking some time to accel at the pedal. Does octane boosters really help? O is it just that my car is now "broken into." Yeah, i just dont feel as fast anymore
Old 10-06-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm "doesn't pick up like it use to," you've been pushin' it pretty hard haven't cha? missed an oilchange? check ALL the fluids?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Octane boosters aren't what you want to run... you want to keep the stoke octane rating, as that is what the car was engineered for... running some injector cleaner, possibly changing the fuel filter as well may help a bit, if you haven't already...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've noticed the same thing over the past couple of months. my tc is a little over 2 yrs old, and the odometer is approaching 30k. once it hits i'm going to change the spark plugs and get the fuel system cleaning that they offer at my dealership. i'm hoping that will take it back to how it was just after i broke in the intake and exhaust. wheeeeee!!! :D
Old 10-06-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah my suggestion is fuel filter, fuel related stuff.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the air filter. I would suggest cleaning the air filter before the fuel filter...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it

Originally Posted by NightShade
Ok, well my car now is about 1.5 years old. and Ive noticed some power loss or accel doesnt pick up as fast as it used to. I changed oil and then it seemed to be like new again, but now its been a week and its back to what it used to, taking some time to accel at the pedal. Does octane boosters really help? O is it just that my car is now "broken into." Yeah, i just dont feel as fast anymore
You're probably just getting used to it.

Octane boosters that you buy in the bottles cannot add enough octane to make any real change in the total average octane of your gas tank. You're adding ounces of 120-octane stuff to GALLONS of 87 octane. At best, you might get 88 avg octane.

If you had I/H/E, I'd suggest maybe trying 89 octane. Most people will agree that it probably doesn't do anything, but it can theoretically reduce any little bits of knock you're getting, and allow a further ignition advancement by VVTi. This would give a little more kick, theoretically. ... Don't waste your money on the 91/93, this is overkill.

Your fuel injectors might be getting clogged, which is possible. Try some fuel injector cleaner for a few tanks successively (techron is the best, has the most stuff in it), and this might help to clear things up.

If these don't help, then it's probably just you getting used to it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by bencott
i've noticed the same thing over the past couple of months. my tc is a little over 2 yrs old, and the odometer is approaching 30k. once it hits i'm going to change the spark plugs and get the fuel system cleaning that they offer at my dealership. i'm hoping that will take it back to how it was just after i broke in the intake and exhaust. wheeeeee!!! :D
Why would u need to change yer spark plugs?? The tC is equipped with Iridiums that can go for 100k miles w/out changing. Dont drop money on sh*t that you think u need.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the spark plugs are the best on the market.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
Why would u need to change yer spark plugs?? The tC is equipped with Iridiums that can go for 100k miles w/out changing. Dont drop money on sh*t that you think u need.
Isn't it actually 120k miles? I don't recall the recommended 100k mile maintenance listing spark plugs, but could be mistaken.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

At any rate, spark plugs aren't a killer on the wallet, but I do believe that it is b/w 100 and 120k depending on how hard you run the car. A fuel system cleaning as well as the filter cleanings would probably yield the best results afik.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of transmission? i'm approaching 2 years too... auto tranny... i think my tranny feels kinda worn in/out...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ok, i will probably get a new air filter, and run some injector cleaners for 4 tank fulls, but what about the fuel filter? where is it and how would I go about changing it?

Because of my tC ive been wanting to tune it with aftermarket stuff. Ive already got some body kit parts on it.

yeah I have been driving it hard once in a while, and I did just change the oil and added an oil additive to promote longer oil life. Thanks all.

"so octane boosters are a waste of $ huh? "

But can they show a little more performance on lets say a 1/4 tank?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have no need to change the fuel filter. Unless its a lemon or something. Fuel filters usually go for 100K miles easily.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"so octane boosters are a waste of $ huh? "

But can they show a little more performance on lets say a 1/4 tank?
Well, let's do a little math.

Let's say we get 16 oz of octane booster, which itself runs about 120 octane or so... and add it to a SINGLE gallon of gasoline and average the numbers.

16oz (120 oct) + 128oz (87 oct) = 1920 + 11136 = 13056

13056/144 = 90.6 octane.

So sure... on ONE gallon of gas, it'll show a 3 oct difference... but you can buy better than that right out of the pump !

2 gallons = 24192/272 = 88.9 octane.... (and you can buy 89oct anywhere)

3 gallons = 35328/400 = 88.32

So there ya go... think what it'd do on a full tank.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol, thanks for the math, its good to see the numbers prove the facts.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats funny, Ive had my car for 1 month and it never felt fast...

Try doing some mods. Just read in import tuner that I/H/E can net 15fwhp and that is with an axle back exhaust.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by chazm
Thats funny, Ive had my car for 1 month and it never felt fast...

Try doing some mods. Just read in import tuner that I/H/E can net 15fwhp and that is with an axle back exhaust.
its faster than my old truck. lol.

Well I did get a new exhaust but I've only installed the muffler and its cat back.

and i dont know if an injen intake is legal for inspection in maine. A header Im wanting to save for a dc sports 4-1 ceramic header. right now im just concerned with the legal inspection with all the mods ive done and wanting to do. but yeah I hope to get a new injen intake and 4-1 header. I;ve read just about all the articles about the tC from all the major mags.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iridium spark plugs are not cheap. 4 of them generally run $45 or more. A fuel filter would not be your issue. If that was your issue then you would be having serious starting issues. Clogged fuel injectors are also doubtful. If you want to run fuel injector cleaner use BG 44k it is pretty much the only cleaner that actually works. All your other $2.50 bottles of gumout and what not are just like octane booster. You are just getting used to your car. Unfortunately it happens so your choices come down to either live with it, buy a new car, or buy something to make it more fun. Whenever i get bored with my car I change something. Even if it is just going out and giving it a really good detail. Sometimes something little will make your car "feel" different.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clean your MAF sensor on the intake. Than might be the problem cause it might be clogged with dirt and stuff. Trust me on this...disconnect it and spray the two wires with carborator cleaner or electric parts cleaner. u will notice a difference if u never done this!!! spray the s*** out of the sensor and let it air dry. make sure u spray everything on the sensor. make sure the one wire sticking out is cleaned too. dont touch any of the wires just spray them clean and let it air dry. there's two little wires inside it and when u clean it out they will shine like new...u will notice a difference!!!! also disconnect the battery cable to let it reset.

Quick Reply: Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it used