Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it used

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by NB_tC06
Clean your MAF sensor on the intake. Than might be the problem cause it might be clogged with dirt and stuff. Trust me on this...disconnect it and spray the two wires with carborator cleaner or electric parts cleaner. u will notice a difference if u never done this!!! spray the s*** out of the sensor and let it air dry. make sure u spray everything on the sensor. make sure the one wire sticking out is cleaned too. dont touch any of the wires just spray them clean and let it air dry. there's two little wires inside it and when u clean it out they will shine like new...u will notice a difference!!!! also disconnect the battery cable to let it reset.
really? where is this sensor? and what cleaner do you recommend?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad

SL Member

did u change ur air filter yet???
Old 10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not yet, i will most likely get it today after work and picking my girl up from school. I will do that before I try to clean the sensor.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, definitely change the air filter. if the milage you log is anywhere near average, then after a year and a half it's probably pretty dirty. as for the spark plugs, it doesn't hurt to check them. i've read on this very forum of people who checked them at 30k miles and were surprised at the amount of deterioration on them. it's also a good habit to get into because it can tell you if anything abnormal has been going on with your engine.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my tC is almost 18k. I didnt get a new air filter yet. but I will have the time tomarrow. should i change them now since its 18k?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NightShade
Clean your MAF sensor on the intake. Than might be the problem cause it might be clogged with dirt and stuff. Trust me on this...disconnect it and spray the two wires with carborator cleaner or electric parts cleaner. u will notice a difference if u never done this!!! spray the s*** out of the sensor and let it air dry. make sure u spray everything on the sensor. make sure the one wire sticking out is cleaned too. dont touch any of the wires just spray them clean and let it air dry. there's two little wires inside it and when u clean it out they will shine like new...u will notice a difference!!!! also disconnect the battery cable to let it reset.

the sensor is on the intake if u cant see it good in this pic. i recommend any good carborator cleaner that u can find at autozone, checkers, walmart, advance auto, etc. also, u should clean this sensor everytime u change your oil to help maintain good performance. let me know if u need anymore info!!!

josh
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the sensor is on the intake if u cant see it good in this pic. i recommend any good carborator cleaner that u can find at autozone, checkers, walmart, advance auto, etc. also, u should clean this sensor everytime u change your oil to help maintain good performance. let me know if u need anymore info!!!

josh
thanks, I'll be sure to do this and change my filter also tommarrow.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

can u give me a more detailed procedure on cleaning this thing out? do I need to disconnect the batt? but wont it reset me radio?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya it will reset your radio, driver and passanger windows, and the sunroof too. here's a post on how to reset your windows and sunroof...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...etting+windows

with your radio, just write down the settings that you have on them and when you connect your battery up, just look for those setting you wrote down and put the settings back on your radio! Simple as that!

Hope this helps out...

Josh
Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are the two DIY's that I read up on when I had a 98 corolla. This simple 10 min. job helped me out ALOT in the corolla and it helps me out ALOT to in the tC....EVERYBODY SHOULD CLEAN THIS SENSOR ON EVERY OIL CHANGE OR SOONER!!! Especially if you have a K&N filter since there all oiled up and the oil from the filter will clogg up this sensor....Hope this helps you out with your problem!!! Let me know if you have any other questions...

http://vvt-i.net/forum//showthread.php?t=1952

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/M.../maf_clean.htm

it does say that you have to disconnect your negative battery terminal so that your ECU can start off with new readings from the MAF Sensor, and your results will be more dramatic if you reset your ECU...
Old 10-11-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, thanks. but what cleaner product is best? wont leave residue, or kill plastic and safe for the MAF and electrical componets?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get your fuel injectors cleaned out, new sparks & dont use mobile & Arco gas!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well my sensor looked pretty clean, it was silver shiny, so I changed just my air filter, it was dirty. SO hopefully I can notice some sort of improvment.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriveEuro
Check the air filter. I would suggest cleaning the air filter before the fuel filter...
I agree with this..

I have 28k on mine, just changed the air filter on my K&N CAI and it feels so much better.

I went 20k without cleaning it at all, so it was pretty dirty.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16

I have 28k on mine, just changed the air filter on my K&N CAI and it feels so much better.

I went 20k without cleaning it at all, so it was pretty dirty.
yeah, i just changed it and hopefully tonight on my way to pick up my gf it drives better. Yeah mine was dirty too at almost 18k. I say some bugs in there, like mosqitoes and some of those seed fans thingy from maple trees?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are the two DIY's that I read up on when I had a 98 corolla. This simple 10 min. job helped me out ALOT in the corolla and it helps me out ALOT to in the tC....EVERYBODY SHOULD CLEAN THIS SENSOR ON EVERY OIL CHANGE OR SOONER!!! Especially if you have a K&N filter since there all oiled up and the oil from the filter will clogg up this sensor....Hope this helps you out with your problem!!! Let me know if you have any other questions...

http://vvt-i.net/forum//showthread.php?t=1952

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/M.../maf_clean.htm

it does say that you have to disconnect your negative battery terminal so that your ECU can start off with new readings from the MAF Sensor, and your results will be more dramatic if you reset your ECU...
I haven't ever cleaned mine and I have 28k miles.. I'm going to try this out tomorrow. I'll see if it improves my track time at all. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well i drove for like an hour on the highway and on the street. What I did was remove the sensor and looked to see if it was dirty. I couldnt see anything to make me think it was dirty. pretty silver so I put it back in and plugged it in. then I changed my air filter (it was a bit dirty) and took the neg connector on my bat off and then reconnected it and started my engine. I resetted my pass window and sunroof.

So I drove and I noticed that its taking more gas at the pedal to accelerate from idle or 0. And it took a bid of more gas from 40 to 60+.

What in the world is going on?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

time to go forced induction! but yea just check/change all the fluids and such.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i drove for like an hour on the highway and on the street. What I did was remove the sensor and looked to see if it was dirty. I couldnt see anything to make me think it was dirty. pretty silver so I put it back in and plugged it in. then I changed my air filter (it was a bit dirty) and took the neg connector on my bat off and then reconnected it and started my engine. I resetted my pass window and sunroof.

So I drove and I noticed that its taking more gas at the pedal to accelerate from idle or 0. And it took a bid of more gas from 40 to 60+.

What in the world is going on?
After a few miles it should seem the same again.. When I reset my ECU it feels kind of slow at first, then I drive 10-20 miles and it feels great.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

how is the ecu reseted?

Quick Reply: Power loss? My car doesnt pick up or doesnt accel as it used