Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Problem after Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Problem after Transmission Flush

Hey all,

So i was having a problem with putting my car into gear. From a cold start the car would go into gear with no problem but if it accelerated hard then i would have to force it into gear. So I decided that I would flush the transmission. I ordered went to the local auto parts and picked up some royal purple 75w-90 oil.

Did the oil change and now the car will not go into gear at all. I have pedal pressure and the car will go into gear when it is off. If i start the car in gear, the car inches forward as if the clutch is not fully disengaged with the clutch pedal pressed all the way. Any thoughts as to whether my clutch is done or could it be another problem? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a classic classic classic, even more classic case of doing a manual transmission flush. There is a very low success rate with this. I say it every one of these threads (There's millions, nice that you searched), manual transmissions do not do not do not need to be flushed, ever. They are lifetime, like lifetime lifetime. Not like 60,000 miles lifetime, like lifetime lifetime. Everyone that does a flush has big problems. Transmission doesn't take it welcomingly.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i change my transmission oil every 30K miles i'm at 90K now and its on its 3rd oil change and all is well
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual fluid doesn't ever need a flush? I think you're thinking of automatics, which have a much more stretched out maintenance schedule (like 100k+). I can only imagine how jet black and full of metal and contaminates a manual fluid would look like at those service intervals. I've changed mine maybe 4 times already (114k miles) with no problems. It's almost foolproof...drain from the drain plug and fill up to the fill plug. All I can think of is that there was a bigger problem and flushing all the fluid just exacerbated it.

Sounds like one of the cylinders (master or slave) could have been running dry and after the flush there's no fluid getting to it at all. Have them checked out.

And just fwiw, I think Royal Purple sucks. I've used it and think the Red Line MT90 is far superior. Some guys swear by Amsoil too but I've never used it. Both of them are hard to find unless you order them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PRODIGY3000; 11-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Naw, automatics are the ones that do need the flush. Not manuals. I haven't heard of a successful flush ever until right now by you two, but honestly, that could be because no comes on here to say "Hey, I flushed my tranny today, and everything is great!", they only come on here to say "WTF". So that' could be, but yeah, there's a lot of things going wrong after flushes and they are all the same, so it seems like they are all related in the same aspect. And yeah, manuals are lifetime. Notchiness or whatever it is that you are trying to fix is due to a lot of jimmin and jammin over the miles, not your fluid, naw mean?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i changed mine out with eneos GL-5 75w-90

Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are not lifetime friend. I really don't know why anyone would say 'lifetime' when it comes to auto maintenance. Even the service schedule says 100k, and I suggest ppl do it sooner. Look up any of the half-dozen DIY threads, most of the success stories are in there.

It also sounds like most of the people resort to flushing the tranny when they notice something wrong. Like this thread, it's not the flush itself, it's probably the slave cylinder that could have been ready to go. Improper diagnoses and a rush to judgement are the real culprits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PRODIGY3000
Improper diagnoses and a rush to judgement are the real culprits
Yes, 100%.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Sounds like a classic classic classic, even more classic case of doing a manual transmission flush. There is a very low success rate with this. I say it every one of these threads (There's millions, nice that you searched), manual transmissions do not do not do not need to be flushed, ever. They are lifetime, like lifetime lifetime. Not like 60,000 miles lifetime, like lifetime lifetime. Everyone that does a flush has big problems. Transmission doesn't take it welcomingly.
WTF are you talking about?

People don't take anything this guy has said as truth.

Since you brought up searching maybe you should search through the owners manual.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Regardless the transmission type...

If you do a transmission "flush" and now things aren't working correctly, then there was already something wrong.

Let's use logic here...

You're car brand new has brand new, clean transmission fluid in there. There is no reason that putting all new, clean fluid in would cause issues.

For automatics, issues that arise from using clean fluid could possibly (unlikely though) be attributed to the fact that the clutch packs are worn and new friction plates (clutch packs) are needed.