Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

problems with my 08 tc's 3rd gear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i had the clutch to the floor until i could finally get it into gear x[ hopefully tomorrow they can find what's wrong if it isn't me haha
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just go to the dealership, have a tech take a ride with you and try to duplicate the problem, if you can do it, then let the tech try and duplicate the problem so he can see what the problem might be, then, expect to be out of a car for a while because it might need a transmission replacement or rebuild.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 AM
SL Member

its happened to me once too. it didnt lock you out you just hit the gate between 1st and 3rd gear. my engine revved up to 6k too but i just kept the clutch engaged and put it into neutral released clutch, engaged clutch and then put it back into gear. not really a huge problem just make sure you have 3rd gear in all the way before you release clutch. 3rd's kinda tricky like that haha.

L2AIM! lol j/k
Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member

i've had the same problem with my tc. but its not just third. my first gear, third gear and reverse gear get stuck. even with the clutch pinned. im not down shifting either. i'll drive normally and my gears get stuck. and i'll be at a full stop and my first gear dosn't budge and same with my rev. tried taking it to the dealer but no luck. all they put was "couldn't replicate at this time" and sent me home. i've taken it 2 or 3 times and they still don't feel like opening it up and checking it out. they rather take my car on a joy ride.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by urchin
i've had the same problem with my tc. but its not just third. my first gear, third gear and reverse gear get stuck. even with the clutch pinned. im not down shifting either. i'll drive normally and my gears get stuck. and i'll be at a full stop and my first gear dosn't budge and same with my rev. tried taking it to the dealer but no luck. all they put was "couldn't replicate at this time" and sent me home. i've taken it 2 or 3 times and they still don't feel like opening it up and checking it out. they rather take my car on a joy ride.
That's just the synchros not lining up. If you can't put it into first from a stand still, just put it into second, then it will slide right into first.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 AM

I have the same problem with my reverse. it seems like there is something blocking it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

There is. The synchro isn't lining up, just put it into another gear and try again. This is not a problem.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

so this is normal? what kinda damage can you expect if it happends once in a while. i've tried the second to first gear before. it worked, but sometimes it didn't. it took a while but it did go in gear.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, in that incredibly useful little book that came with your scion called the OWNER'S MANUAL!!!! it specifically outlines the working of the manual transmission.

there it states that if you have a problem engaging 1st gear or reverse from a stand still, return the shifter to neutral, let the clutch all the way out, and try again. this works everytime for me, or if you want, just shift to any other gear, and then go to 1st or reverse.

reverse gear is a square cut unsynchronized gear, so it can ONLY be engaged while the car is completely stopped without the gear grinding upon engagement.

1st gear has a guard on it to prevent you from accidentally engaging it while in driving too fast and blowing up your engine.

also, to urchin, a transmission overhaul is a big deal, they cost about $1500 dollars, and take a lot of time to do. it isn't something you just do unless you can actually manifest a symptom justify doing.

when i had my transmission overhauled, it was a very easy problem to replicated, my transmission was grinding fifth gear anytime it was engaged, even at a standstill, they immediately got to overhauling it, but for some kind of grinding problem that they can't replicate, no, they aren't going to do it unless you want to pony up the $$$ to pay them to open up your transmission and find nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk if i'd be able to replicate it though. i've had the car since the 2nd and i've been driving it everyday and it's only happened about 4 times. And to scionkidd, i sit in my car all the time and go through the gears just for fun like when i'm bored with a friend or waiting and parked and 3rd gear has locked up! X[
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before I drive off anywhere, at idle I will run through the gears which helps out with lining the synchros up as stated above. There are quite a bit of threads on this and some have had minor bearings/synchros issues and others it's been a headache. If a dealer won't work with you, I suggest going to a different one. Our transmission fluid is supposedly thin as water so some have done fluid swaps right away.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xroad2oblivionx
idk if i'd be able to replicate it though. i've had the car since the 2nd and i've been driving it everyday and it's only happened about 4 times. And to scionkidd, i sit in my car all the time and go through the gears just for fun like when i'm bored with a friend or waiting and parked and 3rd gear has locked up! X[
if you or the tech can't replicate it, they aren't going to do anything. and yeah, sometimes just sitting at a long light, the car won't go into a gear unless i release and re-engage the clutc in neutral. if your really 16, then chances are you haven't been (legally) driving very long, and your still getting used to driving a manual and the service advisor will assume that your not driving it properly.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, i am 16 ahha but i've been driving a manual car consistently for a year, driving altogether for 2 years. Not much, but i know my gear layout very well. Usually with the car off i run through the gears and maybe with a tech i'll be able to replicate it out of luck. Hopefully i can just see the sales rep and see if he can help me out because he seemed nice [shrugs]
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend you take a parent/guardian with you. It might help your case become a little more stern.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea of course. Sucks that I'm not taken seriously just for being younger. [sigh] Though my mom gets all her cars from the same toyota dealer and they have pretty good customer service so i hope they take it seriously. If not i know a mechanic
Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe a guy by the name of 'nuke' had some work done on his transmission. PM him and he might be able to fax/email you reciepts that "might" help your case. Depending on the description of what the mechanics left on the service notes, it could help you out.
Eventually the problem will become more frequent which is what mine is beginning to do. 1, 3, and 5 gears will give me problems in hot/'cold' operating temperatures. It has yet to settle at a specific time but it will do it a little here and there. Join das clubz.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agh dammit lol wouldn't warranty just cover it? i've had the car less than a month. and thanks alot for the info i'll try and get in contact with him
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well see, like drax has said until they can replicate it, nothing will be done. I took my car in and they said it shifted fine(even though I saw him struggle in the gears I do) and it sounded normal while engaging/disengaged, but I didn't agree. Changed my fluid which helped a bit for 150 miles but not much really changed b/c it's just a transmission fluid change.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grrr i'm pretty sure i'll be able to replicate it because whenever i go through gears 1-5 over and over again 3rd gear locks up at least once. If i changed the trans. fluid and left it alone would it really damage my car alot? Because 3rd gear rarely locks up when i'm actually driving