Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pulley Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pulley Problems

I Just installed the NST underdrive set and now my battery icon is popping on and off. Anybody had this problem or know what it is?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

remove the negative terminal and reconnect it to restart the ecu. should clear it. see what happens thats what i would do
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enrique9876
remove the negative terminal and reconnect it to restart the ecu. should clear it. see what happens thats what i would do
I dont know about this 1....... it's not a CEL.
I'm not too familiar w/ the NST set, does it include underdriving the alternator?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like its underdriving the alternator.. which is causing the battery problems.. does it only do it on idle? or when the A/C is on?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nst offers an OVERdrive alt. pulley. as far as my suggestion just try it to see what happens thats all i was saying. either way get on AIM and talk to mike he is online pretty regularly. NSTonAIM is their sn i believe.

but double check me its on their site
good luck
Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

if you have an older car with afew miles on it, the alt has been running at a certain rpm at idle and has gotten use to producing a charge at that speed, however everytime in the past on my older cars, when i installed underdrive pulleys, about a month later i was installing a new alt. its slows the alt down therefore causing it to not run like its use too, sometimes upgradingthe alt pulley helps, but it never has with me, i always had to come out of pocket and buy a new alt from the local parts store
Old 11-03-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My alt. pulley is an overdrive. So shouldnt it technically be better for my electrical system?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

not always, like i said i know with most systems they dont start charging til the motor hits a certain rpm, once that happens then its charging from that moment on, when you slow it down its having to work harder to produce what its use to producing when it was spun up to a higher rpm. thats why once i installed a new alt along with the pulleys, i was good to go with no further problems, you can always run it by a local shop or parts store, and they can show you on a voltmeter how low the numbers are with the pulley installed, the regulator is use to one thing and now its not sure how to react to the new setup, like i said though, im going by what i have had happen to me in the past, im not saying to go out and buy a new alt, but i would get it checked out before it damages the batt also
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or grab yourself a optima yellow top (deep cycle) cause chances are your gonna go through that battery fairly quick..

i got customers that run these batteries for their hot rods, when they run the alternator of the drive shaft.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got an optima but thanx. I guess my main concern is there any damage being done to my electrical system?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by weeloTC
not always, like i said i know with most systems they dont start charging til the motor hits a certain rpm, once that happens then its charging from that moment on, when you slow it down its having to work harder to produce what its use to producing when it was spun up to a higher rpm. thats why once i installed a new alt along with the pulleys, i was good to go with no further problems, you can always run it by a local shop or parts store, and they can show you on a voltmeter how low the numbers are with the pulley installed, the regulator is use to one thing and now its not sure how to react to the new setup, like i said though, im going by what i have had happen to me in the past, im not saying to go out and buy a new alt, but i would get it checked out before it damages the batt also
You're missing what he's saying. His alternator is being overdriven, not underdriven. He's putting out optimal voltage at a lower RPM. Second, how do metal components become used to anything?

What I would recommend doing, is getting a voltmeter and a friend, and measuring the voltage at idle, and at 2.5-4k rpms. If it is above 14.8 or below 13, your alternator is probably not putting out sufficient voltage.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^^^^ i see what your saying, but i know when i use to run march kits on my mustangs, even putting the overdriven pulley on the alt still didnt make up for the decrease in size of the crank pulley, which in turn makes everything spin. but i do agree with the way to test it,
Old 11-03-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman

What I would recommend doing, is getting a voltmeter and a friend, and measuring the voltage at idle, and at 2.5-4k rpms. If it is above 14.8 or below 13, your alternator is probably not putting out sufficient voltage.
At idle my voltmeter is reading 13.8-14 at full AC blast. When I turn the AC off it drops to 12.0. What does this mean?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^^^^i didnt even reconize your name on here, i met you at the show last weekend at northpoint toyota, i had the sw tC, anyways how long have you been running them, its normal for the volts to drop alittle from the ac being on, and at 14 at idle is around about right. so to be honest i dont know what it is, unless now your ststem is getting a different amp reading, not only does it produce volts, but amps as well, for that you would need to stop by a alt shop, or somewhere like autozone and see whats up, i know you have that crazy system, have you upgraded to a bigger amp alt? might be something to think about with all the power that your pushing through the car, 14 volts means that the reg is working right, but it doesnt mean the the system is working properly
Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL -- whats up! My amps drop with the AC OFF. Thats what has me confused. Ill probably take it by my friends shop on Mon. if I havnt got it solved by then. You think a Big 3 upgrade might help?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi everyone,

I won't try to diagnose your problem over the internet, because making a judgment while not having seen your complete setup would be only a partial opinion, and would be only theory.

So I will only share some basic info with you all...

The three piece NST set includes the following pulleys...
NST02020 Underdrive Crank Pulley
NST02025K Overdrive Alternator Pulley AND WP-Lite Water Pump Pulley

This is what is of important note here. We realize that many of our customers are using our pulleys in daily driven setups and that many also have extra audio/video equipment. So we design all of our kits with this in mind.

NST02020 is a 20% Underdrive Pulley
NST02022 is a 20% Overdrive Pulley
-20% +20% = ZERO
This means that your electrical system is working JUST LIKE the OEM setup when you use NST pulleys.
NO SLOWER, NO FASTER. Same as the OEM setup at every RPM.

All of that aside, all of your NST pulleys are roughly 70% lighter than the OEM pulleys and your crank pulley is turning your OTHER accessories such as the a/c, the wp, and the ps at a slightly slower rate. NO, nothing will happen to your other accessories either, so please dont get paranoid! Hundreds of SL members have been running NST pulleys for the past few years with no issues of any kind.

I can offer you just a general checklist. You may want to check all your battery and ground connections, if something is loose you may lose some of your charging ability. Make sure the tension on your belt is correct, and even more important, be sure you are using the correct belt. We list proper belt numbers for our kits on our website. Using the wrong belt will cause belt slip and potential problems.

Finally, please feel free to look for me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM should you ever have any questions of any kind. I am online on a daily basis for this particular reason. I would be more than happy to chat with any of you regarding any pulley questions of any kind. Even on Sundays

Thanks again for the support everyone, we certainly do appreciate it.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you installed the alternator pulley did you remove the alternator like the diy suggests? if so, did you reconnect it correctly?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

would getting the nst underdrive pulley alone? cause any battery lights or problems? because i dont wanna get the whole set.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
would getting the nst underdrive pulley alone? cause any battery lights or problems? because i dont wanna get the whole set.
Absolutely NOT! Roughly 75% of our customers use the Underdrive Crank Pulley (NST02020) alone, keeping their OEM alternator and water pump pulleys.

Ofcourse all NST pulleys are roughly 70% lighter than the OEM pulleys they replace, and we all know that more weight reduction leads to better throttle response.

Using the Overdrive Alternator Pulley also leads to better electrical output... very good for those customers running large audio/video systems, extra lights, etc.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmmm i do not want to post same question in multiple threads but this is gettin annoying, i wanted to know if any of you guys are suffering from loss of mpg? My needle goes wayyy down muchh fasterrr.

Quick Reply: Pulley Problems