Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pulley Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member

I keep seeing all these threads about pulleys being bad, then some that say their good.

I don't think i'll even think about getting one.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well the guys saying they are bad, are just spreading the word, they got it off of other people that think the pulley is bad and it just spreads. The people that say it is good, actually have it and so far nobody really reported anything badthat was caused by the pulley. So itz your call. Pretty cheap mod though.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:39 AM

Trust me.
if NST or any company was running malfunctioning pulleys they wouldnt be in buisness.
when somebody has a problem there going to post about it to see possible causes and solutions, so those are the ones your seeing.
nobody really posts threads saying WOW I JUST INSTALLED MY PULLEYS TODAY AND I HAVE NOOOOOOOO PROBLEMS, and that is why you think that your seeing so many people with problems
but compared to how many people have pulleys on there cars only a fraction of them have seen any problems at all, good luck trying to find a post where the definite cause of something was from the pulley
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldnt have said it better. I've never met a person who blew a motor due to a pulley. Yet eveyone and their Grandma says they are bad.... doesnt make sense to me.
That's like a little over a year ago dozens said the 1.5l (sorry i know this is a tC topic) would never handle over like 7psi... this coming from people who didnt even have a turbo, LOL.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since I started the thread I thought Id chime in.

My problem turned out to be a loose wire on the alternator. Since I tightened it I havnt had anymore problems. Just sayin'
Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks for the update on the problem, now im going to buy those pulleys.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another bit of info... there are many debates on the advantages of the lightwieght pulley. Some say it doesnt read on the dyno (people who say what others say, and those people say what they read... an so on) well it does read on the dyno. Some here may have seen it also, same car before and after a lightweight crank pulley install read 12whp more with it. Same dyno, 30 minutes later, read 12whp increase, that's huge. And I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, not read about it, or hear-say crap.
I think i've said this many many times... but be carful what u read on here, most people on here just post for the heck of it to get their post count up, but never experienced the real benefit or disadvantage themselves... it's just here-say.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Some here may have seen it also, same car before and after a lightweight crank pulley install read 12whp more with it. Same dyno, 30 minutes later, read 12whp increase, that's huge. And I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, not read about it, or hear-say crap.
I think i've said this many many times... but be carful what u read on here, most people on here just post for the heck of it to get their post count up, but never experienced the real benefit or disadvantage themselves... it's just here-say.
I'm not disagreeing with your point about here-say about pulleys, but dyno numbers can be fudged. Look at the torque numbers:

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
Thought I'd post this so you can see what we really do before you factor in the gear ratio.

Regards-

Todd
Even engifineer, whom is a opponent of crank pulleys on the tC, and professional engine builders that use lightweight crank pulleys will both tell you they don't actually add horsepower, it just reduces rotational mass and drag on the engine. It's not affecting the combustion or exhaust strokes like forced induction or exhaust modifications.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep that's correct. It doesnt directly add hp (to the motor). But it allows the motor to accelerate faster therefore accelerating the wheels faster... therefore spin the dyno-rollers quicker... which on some types of dynos reads as more whp. If you are load testing then it won't show.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

energy conservation. hope that makes sense.
Adding a lightweight crank pulley, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight wheels can be equivalent to adding 20 hp in a way. Reducing cenrtifical force reduces drag during acceleration and in effect is the same as adding power... but not.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by TonyhasaRS1
Trust me.
if NST or any company was running malfunctioning pulleys they wouldnt be in buisness....
1. Never trust people who say "trust me."
2. The company that makes Turbonators is still in bussiness. All kinds of companies sell all kinds of stuff that doesn't do what they claim or, worse yet, has a negative impact and they are still in business.

I'd say do your own research on the subject (whatever it may be), check many different sources, and then make your own decision.