Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default Quaife LSD

I just emailed Quaife about a LSD for the TC and they're already working on one they said it would come out later this year.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is a lsd.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LSD is a drug.... primarilly used in the 60's...

just kidding.. however.. LSD IS a drug.. but the LSD we speak of here is a Limited Slip Differential.. it applies power to both front tires instead of just one...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

= better grip during acceleration and cornering
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Petem

just kidding.. however.. LSD IS a drug.. but the LSD we speak of here is a Limited Slip Differential.. it applies power to both front tires instead of just one...
Actually, LSDs do the opposite. They apply more power to the one wheel that IS getting traction, not both. That way the car keeps the power on the ground on launches (w/ torque steer) and around turns.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

any details on what kind of LSD?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
Originally Posted by Petem

Actually, LSDs do the opposite. They apply more power to the one wheel that IS getting traction, not both. That way the car keeps the power on the ground on launches (w/ torque steer) and around turns.
Wrong! An LSD still supplies more power to the wheel with the most slip, but still transfers a percentage of that power to the other wheel. NO LSD has 100% lockup, usually it's around 30% or so (not sure though) but on a 30% lsd, the wheel with the least traction (least friction) has 70% of the power and the one with the most friction has 30%. Only vehicles with very sophisticated 4 wheel drive systems have what you're talking about, and that's because they apply the brakes to the wheels which are slipping, forcing the other wheel to get the power.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
Wrong!
Well actually he is 100% correct but admittedly could have explained it better.

An LSD still supplies more power to the wheel with the most slip, but still transfers a percentage of that power to the other wheel.
Depends on the LSD, the quafe has about a 2:1 spin limit between the two tires and is a torque bias to the wheel that has the MOST traction in a preset ratio. A Detriot locker is 50/50, a clutch base has a ft-lbs of torque bias that increase with RPM, this setup applies more torque to the wheel with the least spin. The phantom works both as a minimal torque bias and as a locker.

NO LSD has 100% lockup, usually it's around 30% or so (not sure though) but on a 30% lsd, the wheel with the least traction (least friction) has 70% of the power and the one with the most friction has 30%.
No such thing as a general rule of thumb as there are many different type of LSD, posi-tracs, lockers, torsens, air lockers, clutch lockers, centrifical lockers. A locker will lock 100%.

Only vehicles with very sophisticated 4 wheel drive systems have what you're talking about, and that's because they apply the brakes to the wheels which are slipping, forcing the other wheel to get the power.
um this type of AntiSlipRegulator is not a LSDifferntial and serves only to confuse the post not prove you are correct.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential10.htm
Old 07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've installed a quaife LSD on my friend's '03 SRT-4 (before they came standard). I know for a fact that it transfers most of the available power to the wheel that does have traction. I know that other types of differentials work on different principles, but in the case of quaife (which this thread is about), the power goes to the wheel that is hooking up to the ground.Thanks oldman, I know my explanation could have been worded much better
Old 07-03-2005, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="oldman"]
Only vehicles with very sophisticated 4 wheel drive systems have what you're talking about, and that's because they apply the brakes to the wheels which are slipping, forcing the other wheel to get the power.
um this type of AntiSlipRegulator is not a LSDifferntial and serves only to confuse the post not prove you are correct.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential10.htm
This part of my post was obviously not talking about LSDs, thanks.
Originally Posted by petem
the LSD we speak of here is a Limited Slip Differential.. it applies power to both front tires instead of just one...
Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
Actually, LSDs do the opposite. They apply more power to the one wheel that IS getting traction, not both. That way the car keeps the power on the ground on launches (w/ torque steer) and around turns
Oldman, you must admit LSDs do apply power to both tires instead of just one (open differential) so BreakTheStatic would be wrong to say LSDs do the opposite of applying power to both tires, which would be apply power to only 1 wheel. BTW torque steer would be around corners not on launches, unless you have the wheel turned on the launch, which technically would be around a "turn"

And 33% locking is a 2:1 Ratio!

Also, manual lockers, air lockers, and cable operated lockers are not LSDs and serves to confuse the post not prove you are correct!

Thank you for correcting me on the parts I was wrong about
Old 07-03-2005, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque steer isn't only felt on turns. Even during straight acceleration, one wheel frequently gains more traction than the other and causes the car to pull to one side. And here "Actually, LSDs do the opposite. They apply more power to the one wheel that IS getting traction, not both. " Keyword being MORE. I may have been slightly tired when I posted it, but what I was saying was not that LSDs ONLY powered one wheel, but that it provides a torque bias to the wheel which currently has traction.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the front wheel drive the reason why when i hit the gas the steering jerks around? the fact that the power is going to one front wheel so it wants to pull to the side?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good news for the guys going turbo :D
Old 07-03-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChiTowntC
is the front wheel drive the reason why when i hit the gas the steering jerks around? the fact that the power is going to one front wheel so it wants to pull to the side?
Exactly. On my friend's srt-4, the car would have a lot of wheelspin and it would pull heavily when trying to accelerate hard. With the limited slip installed, there is much less waste and the car actually gets traction much quicker.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now it makes sense... it always freaked me out when id hit the gas and my car would want to pull all over the road
Old 07-03-2005, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This part of my post was obviously not talking about LSDs, thanks.
We are or were and all of a sudden you were um off in lala land. See you said “no LSD is 100%...” and then went onto ASR which are. But sure enough lockers are 100% or nearly so essentially you were WRONG. Yes some people don’t consider a locker a LSD, however 99.99% of the performance dudes don’t know the difference so the point is moot to say the least.

Your post also insisted that LSD apply more power or torque to the wheel with the most slip, see here:” he wheel with the least traction (least friction) has 70% of the power and the one with the most friction has 30%” Which is also WRONG.

the LSD we speak of here is a Limited Slip Differential.. it applies power to both front tires instead of just one...
Nobody posted that power was applied to just one wheel in some sort of static arrangement, BreakTheStatic said ” They apply more power to the one wheel that IS getting traction, not both” which is the opposite of what you are saying hence you are WRONG. He did not imply that the power applied is static and never changing, you just read that in.

BTW torque steer would be around corners not on launches, unless you have the wheel turned on the launch, which technically would be around a "turn"
Obviously you don’t have, and have never driven a performance FWD. When you get to a certain level of torque the car will tend to steer itself down the road depending on a whole host of conditions. My turbo GS-R, a car know for a great two piece drive shaft that prevents torque steer would hop around ½ lane at full boost while in a straight line, I had a clutch based LSD back then, the first in the nation.

And 33% locking is a 2:1 Ratio!
Locking is locking and is nearly 50 /50. A torque bias is a torque bias and it is around 5:1 on a torsen. The 2:1 is the spin ratio between the two tires built into the torsen, as far as I know the spin ratio has nothing to do with the torque bias.

Also, manual lockers, air lockers, and cable operated lockers are not LSDs and serves to confuse the post not prove you are correct!
Most people could not tell the difference between a detriot centrifical locker, a phantom grip psudo locker or a torsen with a spin ratio vs the only true LSD which would be a clutch setup. The only confusion is the guys that think they know more then they do. I call them ALL LSD as is the norm.

Thank you for correcting me on the parts I was wrong about
I have further corrected your mistakes, please do more research then post.

Also a word of caution from a LSD FWD driver. If you get on boost in a turn the car will tend to understeer, (travel in a straight line), this is especially true in limited traction conditions. This is because neither tire has a static coefficient of friction with the pavement hence no steering is possible. Don’t get silly as kids on the street corner can die. Once you make the step up to turbo and LSD, a whole lot of respect is needed.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Enough of the back n forth of no im right no im right...

A price range would be nice to know
Old 07-03-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The phantom grip is going to be way cheaper say $215.00 group buy. The quaife is say $500 to $800 depending on the group buy, the demand etc. Japan based clutch type will be in the same range as the come out...
Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm down for a phantom grip group buy, BTW how well does the phantom grip perform, i've seen it before but have never seen a review of it yet or the phantom grip in action. I was shopping for LSD"s and Phantom Grip looked to be the cheapest but i've always questioned it's performance coming from an a Torsen AWD car.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD