Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will the Phantom Grip work on the automatic trans???
if so i am in
Old 07-03-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Southern California has bumpy-___ intersections. Every time I take off on one of them, I bump all over the place. Question is, with an LSD, wouldn't this cause more problems? What I'm thinking is if one wheel pops up (which is what happens on the intersections), and the LSD sees that wheel has lost traction, it would apply power to the wheel with traction and cause the car to pull even harder to the left or right. That wouldn't be good. I know there are systems like the system introduced on the last generation Preludes. It would examine the car's speed and turning radius to determine how to distribute power to the two front wheels.

Wouldn't that be a better alternative for street driving? I know once you go into forced induction, you really need something to harness all that power, but maybe I'm just wrong in what the LSD will do in different situations.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're driving on roads that get you in 3 wheel motion, you have more to worry about than the LSD
Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh... that's southern cali... I wouldn't say that my tire is literally popping off the road, but if you were to go over a bumpy road and let go of the steering wheel, you would bump all over the place. With this car, it just seems to pull more.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

For Phantomgrip in action videos just watch any of the scionspeed runs, and from what I know they are Spider gears. Since the fastest tC is using the phantomgrip LSD in their 12 second tC I'd say its good enough for street use.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyperZ
Heh... that's southern cali... I wouldn't say that my tire is literally popping off the road, but if you were to go over a bumpy road and let go of the steering wheel, you would bump all over the place. With this car, it just seems to pull more.
wow and i thought florida had it bad... but you know you shouldn't drive without your hands on your steering wheel LOL
Old 07-04-2005, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differentials
Quaife Differential Application Guide
The Quaife torque biasing differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?

By getting the power to the ground!
The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Every Quaife ATB Differential comes with something else other's don't have: a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies even when raced !
Old 08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thx for the info chewy.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.cal-look.com/index2.html

Under "Mark's Quaife Test" in "Audio/Video" there is a nice video of one being "tested" on a Beetle.
Who knows if there the same but cool video nonetheless.
Oh, how I miss rear wheel drive.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stupid real media... can people online just please stop using that crap?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

any new info on the LSD?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChiTowntC
is the front wheel drive the reason why when i hit the gas the steering jerks around? the fact that the power is going to one front wheel so it wants to pull to the side?
The front wheel drive is the reason for the hurky-jerky steering wheel in a straight line start, but not because power is going to only one wheel. The fact that your car has unequal length drive shafts is what is causing a disproportionate amount of power to get to one wheel. One side drive axle is shorter resulting in less power loss and making the car pull to the other side.

Anyway, LSDs freakin' rule...had one (Peloquin brand) in my GTI...if pricing is consistent then expect $800-1000 and a _____ of an install that could cost equal to what you spend on the part...the entire tranny has to come out and be taken apart to remove the open diff that is already installed in the car. I did my GTI's myself, and it took me at least 6 hours with power tools and a lift.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 250WHP SM class, R compound tired, turbo Matrix greatly improved it's lap times by 2-4 seconds, depending on the course design, with a Phantom Grip installed. Very smooth operation, never once felt it kick in out out.

We went from a low mid pack car to 1/100th out of second place a few times, running against M3's, WRX's and other AWD cars. First place was always an 8 time national champ in his M3, he was a very gifted driver to say the least.

Rick
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I will probably go with phantom grip LSD, just cause of availability. and the Scion Speed seems to be just fine with that LSD.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where has oldman been the last few months??
Old 09-22-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Working on a Volvo. A nice S40 T5.

I think.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

torsen > *
Old 09-22-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

No doubt quafie is a high quality LSD, but all I am saying is the Phantom Grip is out now. and Is more than enough for anything short of SCCA
Old 09-22-2005, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a lot to know about Torsen limited slip and gear drive limited slip (like Quaife) in general. One of the big drawbacks is they work on torque bias ratio. See that word ratio? It's critical to understanding why if one wheel loses ALL traction, you lose everything. If one wheel completely loses traction the torque ratio is multiplying by zero, so the whole thing stops working. You have to have SOME traction on the low grip wheel for it to work.

Supra owners figured this out pretty quickly when autocrossing, since the manual gearbox turbos all had a Torsen diff in them. Torsen came out with a special differential carrier to solve this problem, the T2R, but unfortunately it isn't available for JZA80s.

Here's a link to Torsen's FAQ so you can get a better understanding of how it works and what it really does. There's also a link for the hardcore math and physics guys that explains in great detail how it works complete with the mathematical models, how they figured it all out, and how to modify it.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can we order the phatom LSD from ? any links would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD