Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

question with headers/intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 AM

Default question with headers/intake

I just got a 07 tc auto from my older bro..and yes i know its auto but since im paying for it and keeping it for a while so i might as well add a few mods to it to get a lil bit more hp and the exhaust is great i love the way it sounds....TRD factory i believe....

im new to this car stuff so i was just wondering if

1)if an injen cold air intake for $259 is good...or should i say what it rank from a scale from 1-10 being that it is pretty cheap and affordable for me

2)i believe headers and intake is unbolting and bolting...i was wondering if i am correct

3)whats a good brand for headers....say under $300?

thanks alot...and I've been looking around the forum...and i havent been able to find anything about it........

again thanks...it would help out alot[/img]
Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you put a header on your car, it will sound like poop with any exhaust that isn't OEM. just add the injen intake. adding the header will just make it sound horrible.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
if you put a header on your car, it will sound like poop with any exhaust that isn't OEM. just add the injen intake. adding the header will just make it sound horrible.
Actually your wrong.

not every header will make it sounds like poop.

just depends on the TYPE of header.

For Example

if you get a 4-1 header, your car will sound like crap with the OEM exhaust or even with an after market exhaust it will still sound like crap ((i am speaking from experience)

but if u purchase a 4-2-1 header then your car will sound great..

but the only problem is finding a 4-2-1 header for under 300 dollars brand new...

ur best bet is to buy one used...

and YES to the Injen intake, its proven to be the best CAI for a TC.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mrsanchez925
Actually your wrong.

For Example

if you get a 4-1 header, your car will sound like crap with the OEM exhaust or even with an after market exhaust it will still sound like crap ((i am speaking from experience)

but the only problem is finding a 4-2-1 header for under 300 dollars brand new...

What's the difference between 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers?

And thanks for the intake info
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cantutellimlong
Actually your wrong.

For Example

well a 4-1 header is made to give u more top end power. and the 4-2-1 header is made to give u more low end power...

if ya got any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yeah I think it completely depends on the setup I have a stock oem axleback and have a header back except the acleback and my car sounds awesome.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even a 4-2-1 header will sound like crap. just look up youtube vids.

just get an intake and enjoy your nice sounding tc.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I have a Fujita CAI, a Megan 4-1 header, a custom midpipe with a long resonator (don't know how long, its the glass pack style), and an Injen SES catback. I really like the way the car sounds. It isn't stupid loud, but it can be heard. Not ricey sounding at all. The resonator is what makes all the difference. Don't shy away from a good deal on a used 4-1 header.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your right a 4-1 just has alot rasp untill your car warms up....you
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im actually selling my Injen intake and megan header within the next couple weeks since i am going boost... if your interested PM me and ill send u the prices.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well a 4-1 header is made to give u more top end power. and the 4-2-1 header is made to give u more low end power...
uh, how? a 4-2-1 gives you less backpressure, thus giving it a loss in low end torque but more top end power, 4-1 gets more back pressure, with more low end torque and less top end power.
honestly it all doesn't matter, b/c they'll all sound like crap, just to different degrees, and will differ in gains by like 2 whp.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
SL Member

personally i don't like the way the car sounds with a loud exhaust/headers setup but everyone has different opinions. I'd get the injen first (looks, sounds and performs great) but keep looking around for the setup that you want on youtube because a lot of people have similar parts installed.

also on k2motor.com they (allegedly) have DC headers for $115 but i'd still look around for an injen first because i'm not sure if i trust that site.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Ok so after installing like 5 differant headers on tCs now,done strup,megan,MMW,OBX,and generic from ebay,I can say they all sounded like crap,did not matter what exhaust was on any of them they all sound like weekwackers on crack.

To make any header setup sound good a new resonator installed to mid pipe is a must.

I have MMW with high flow cat and 2 12"resonators and it sounded bad even then,now I have APEXi can on it and it finally sounds good.

It is a pain to find a good combo that is gonna sound good,right now I am getting a HKS can for cheap and will see how it sounds,my guess is loud and raspy again.....lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually your wrong.

For Example

hey dude, read my signature, i have a 4-2-1 header, first i had it with trd exhaust, and now i have it with full 3 inch exhaust, it sounds awful. i sound like a world war 2 prop plane coming down the road.

they all sound like crap because they all get rid of the primary catalytic convertor which gets rid of a huge restrictive portion of the exhaust system, leading to a very loud raspy exhaust.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
SL Member

haha this thread has just turned into a big conversation thats only semi on topic

but OP what do you really want to do with your car? i can tell you want an intake/headers/exhaust setup but in the long run what do you want out of your car? if you want a street racer you're definitely not going the right route (need to go forced induction). Or something for autocross? (Suspension should be come next). Or are you just looking to have a nice performance car that you want to enjoy driving? (You're kind of on track for this)

It really makes a difference in what you want to do with your car to help out
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Yea I only wanted basics for now I/h/e
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM

And thanks for pointing out that it has been off topic I didn't wanna be new and demand too much
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 AM

Default Re: question with headers/intake

1)if an injen cold air intake for $259 is good...or should i say what it rank from a scale from 1-10 being that it is pretty cheap and affordable for me

2)i believe headers and intake is unbolting and bolting...i was wondering if i am correct

3)whats a good brand for headers....say under $300?

thanks alot...and I've been looking around the forum...and i havent been able to find anything about it........

again thanks...it would help out alot[/img]
Here, I don't know if this actually got answered by anyone, even I skipped it.

1. Injen in expensive, but people like to run it. Get what you get a good deal on. I would look into a Tenzo R CAI and add an AEM Dry Flow filter. I just put a Fujita on and like it, but I got a killer deal on it. The Tenzo R is like $130-$140, and the AEM filter is about $50.

2. Yes, the header and intake is all bolt on.

3. Can't really answer this, but if you wait, you can find a good deal. I picked up a used Meagan off Craigslist for $100.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

^^yes like he said headers are bolt-on but you have to keep in mind that since you are eliminating the first cat in the stock header you will have to put some sort of CEL fixer on the s-pipe to avoid havind the CEL light come on.

I personally have headers and a tanabe touring medallion axle-back. S-pipe midpie is stock and other than a bit of rasp when its cold it sounds great.

I will tell you that doing the TRD axleback with only headers will sound horrible!

Quick Reply: question with headers/intake