Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Quiet Performance v2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default Quiet Performance v2.0

ok since my original thread (v1.0) got locked we shall continue our discussion here in this thread.

it might be a good idead to sift through the old thread to catch up on our progress. you'll have to filter out some garbage and flames but there is good info that's in there.

now continuing on the auto-trans upgrades tangent, i visited one of my old hang-outs: maxima.org ! they had really good info on an upgraded/tweaked "valve body" for their transmissions. when the new valve body is installed in the auto-tranny, faster, more powerful shifting is realized. imagine chirping the tires while shifting into 2nd gear with your auto tC... well you might not chirp the tires in stock or N/A form but with that quiet turbo setup.... you get my drift.

this upgrade is also supposed to reduce the wear on your auto-trans components when used in conjuction with the mandatory in-line aux tranny-cooler. (i'm not sure about this one, but whoever wrote the article seemed to know a lot more about automatics than i did)

so the question is out there now and the gauntlet has been thrown down... who amongst you know of a tuned valve body for the A/T tC? or who will step up and make one!?? if it's possible even!![/url]
Old 06-27-2005, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member

automatic transmission owners rejoice!
i think i found out who will be able to answer the call for the tuned valve bodies. Level 10 Performance out of NJ already does work on Toyotas and Lexus so it should be a no-brainer for them.

so far for quiet performance we have:
-suspension upgrades (easy to forget about these when talking power)
-turbo with stock cat-muffler
-transmission tuning (clutch, flywheel)
-nitrous
-vvti controllers

i know adjustable cam gears are/were popular for honda b-series engine tuning. is this applicable on the 2az-fe?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey you korean. gosu. <---sounds korean to me.
by the way, i yes, auto trans owners rejoice.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quiet Performance v2.0

Originally Posted by gosu
now continuing on the auto-trans upgrades tangent, i visited one of my old hang-outs: maxima.org ! they had really good info on an upgraded/tweaked "valve body" for their transmissions. when the new valve body is installed in the auto-tranny, faster, more powerful shifting is realized. imagine chirping the tires while shifting into 2nd gear with your auto tC... well you might not chirp the tires in stock or N/A form but with that quiet turbo setup.... you get my drift.

this upgrade is also supposed to reduce the wear on your auto-trans components when used in conjuction with the mandatory in-line aux tranny-cooler. (i'm not sure about this one, but whoever wrote the article seemed to know a lot more about automatics than i did)

i already smoke my tires on accident as much as i need to LOL
but a valve body is a serious upgrade and would require a competent shop. nothing a moderate home mechanic would want to attempt. automatics are expen$ive to replace.

as far as the reduction in wear.. i'm not sure about that. do you have a link with this information?

we already hvae a tranny-cooler but an upgraded one should be possible. i'll try to get a grasp on the stock one/upgrading possibilities in my downtime this week.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually those shift kits for the autos require drilling some holes in the valve body, as well as replacing o-rings and gaskets. Like matty said, unless you are very familiar with working on automatic transmissions, I would leave it up to a professional shop. As far as wear is concerned, basically those kits shorten the amount of time between shifts, so "technically" there is less wear on the tranny. All shifts will be harder though, even when you are not gunning it. I would recommend getting an upgraded, higher stall torque converter if you plan on racing your auto. It allows you to launch the car with higher rpms so all your torque is available sonner. Too high stall speeds can result in excess wear, however.

I have a trans-go shift kit and a custom high stall torque converter on my stratus and I definitely did notice a difference in acceleration, although I have never taken it down to the track to confirm it.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lighten flywheel.

Light rims I have OZ Superleggera and they are light, say 3 pounds lighter then stock x 4 of course.

Cone filter with an enclosure should be quite, like a stock 94 up integra filter box which are a dime a dozen should fit just fine, and you can run your own cold air induction to the front.

A replacement muffler like a dynomax turbo with chamber and packing should = almost OEM noise level or maybe even OEM.

Port and polish the head!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just buy some better speakers to cover up the noise LOL
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is sort of on topic, i have a question for oldman. once you install your turbo kit what are you doing for traction? LSD? better wheels/tires? any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by oldman

Light rims I have OZ Superleggera and they are light, say 3 pounds lighter then stock x 4 of course.

Cone filter with an enclosure should be quite, like a stock 94 up integra filter box which are a dime a dozen should fit just fine, and you can run your own cold air induction to the front.

A replacement muffler like a dynomax turbo with chamber and packing should = almost OEM noise level or maybe even OEM.

Port and polish the head!
good points... reducing un-sprung weight is always good for recovering some lost power.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

less unsprung weight = better ride, better accleration, better handling. All good but cost $$$$, a set of OZ rims and tires will set you back say $1500.00

On the turbo, I'm think of LSD, lightweight flywheel, slight upgrade on clutch, and running sticky street tires say 235x45 or 17x8 rims.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

y would suspension upgrade give you better power?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's the counter, bolt on a set of 19 inch heavy rims and large tires, let me know how your MPG suffers, ride, handling, and lastly how much slower the car feels. Try this on a 1.6 liter Civic. It takes lots of energy to spin up large heavy rims and tires. There are guys that get all excited about 2 lbs on a 6 inch pulley, try 10 lbs on a 25 inch rim and tire x4.....
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

what kind of LSD are you going to use?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the quaife, and if you do a search I started a list of drivetrain mods and even part numbers, dunno though I may go with whatever comes out first... along with light flywheel and clutch.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Souljah347
what kind of LSD are you going to use?
Hopefully not the brown ones floating around...I hear theyre bad
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdballer69
y would suspension upgrade give you better power?
helps get the power to the ground
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get speakers to quiet it out? thats funnie
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gets rid of the loud exhaust drone LOL