Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

RASP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the megans mid pipe is not big enough and its a tiny lil res
Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

ok, I've been reading everyone's posts here... now, when you say adding that resonator to your exhaust system.... is that cutting out the orig. stock resonator and replacing it with the new one? I've been building cars for years... and just a little fyi if you're adding more than 1 resonator... think about this, most performance headers translate into about 8-10hp gain at the wheels... if you go adding more restriction then you are counterbalancing the hp that you gained in the first place by installing a performance header.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

oh and here's an option... who cares about the amount of sound OUTSIDE of the car... really? ... I think a better option would be to take out your spare tire and dynamat the entire truck area. this significantly cuts down on the droning interior noise levels.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Mr. Mouse if you have been building cars for years then can you explain how a adding more than 1 straight through free flowing unidirectional perforated core(no baffles or louvers) magna pack resonator kills hp?

also most people don't simply want to kill in cabin resonation but actually mellow out the sharp harsh resonance of the header on the exhaust tone it self.

now don't get all bent outta shape i was just being a smart a$$. LOL
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
... who cares about the amount of sound OUTSIDE of the car... really?
Your neighbors. And maybe the cops.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

not bent out of shape here.... and you have a good point... there are different types of resonators... a free flowing one like you mentioned will allow you to keep most of that hp. however, they dont have quite as much noise reduction as one that has those pieces in it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I'm currently running a Megan header, s-pipe, midpipe, and an HKS axleback. I replaced the first resonator (smaller one) on the midpipe with a Magnaflow hiflow cat and it helpd the rasp a lot but it's still not to my liking... however, the larger resonator takes up a lot of room so in order to get a 20" or so Magnaflow resonator I'd have to take off the old one, have the mounting stuff relocated, etc. ... so since these Aero ones are smaller I may have room for them and then I'd also have another resonator to help even more. I'll have to think on it...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^About those aero resonators... I just checked my invoice cuz thats the only place it said it, but the resonator is only 10" and with the flanges it's 14". Very small and very effective
Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i would need a custom midpipe if i want to add 2 Aero Resonators correct? so will the cat be eliminated?

Originally Posted by tCizzler
^^About those aero resonators... I just checked my invoice cuz thats the only place it said it, but the resonator is only 10" and with the flanges it's 14". Very small and very effective
Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no cat in the midpipe.
The cat would be deleted if you change the header.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought there were two cats in the tC, one in the header and one in the midpipe, right after the S-pipe. At least, if you're stock.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^That's correct, 2 cats stock.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm currently running with the Megan Racing Header which eliminates the 1st Cat.

How will I be able to fit 2 14" Aero Resonators into a stock midpipe?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bad.
I thought the first was in the header and the second was in the s-pipe.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BionicJuic3
Well I'm currently running with the Megan Racing Header which eliminates the 1st Cat.

How will I be able to fit 2 14" Aero Resonators into a stock midpipe?
You won't be able to. There are too many bends. To fit 2, you will need to have some pipe bent. And also, the aero resonator itself is only 10 inches. The flanges on the side make it 14 inches. Don't know if that really matters.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
SL Member

Are any of you guys running high perfomance cats with your headers? Or are you just straight up runnin the headers wit no cat? The reason I ask is because I thought you needed the cat otherwise it can damage the engine over time. Is that true or no?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by terror81
Are any of you guys running high perfomance cats with your headers? Or are you just straight up runnin the headers wit no cat? The reason I ask is because I thought you needed the cat otherwise it can damage the engine over time. Is that true or no?
Thats completely false. Small motors run better with some backpressure but it can be attained by any form of restriction. It does not have to come by means of a cat.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tCizzler, what's your current setup exactly? How is your whole exhaust system running?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
SL Member

tCizzler correct me if I'm wrong here. So its ok to say run a Megan header, Megan S-Pipe and Megan Midpipe to my TRD exhaust with no cat? No engine problems whatsoever? The reason I ask is because I'm highly considering doin that this month.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some say that over time( a few years?) your rings will burn out from loss of compression from running small displacement engines with very highflow exhaust systems with no restrictions.

some thing about your engine having to work twice as hard in the low end to make the same power you were making with the back pressure from the stock exhaust.

I'v had 2 people tell me this...is it true? i can't really say, it doesn't really make sense to me, but i'm no expert...

Any who regarding your set up, the lack of cats won't have any negative effects (immediate that i know off) from the lack of cats. Your exhaust may have a stronger smell and your low end TQ will take a dive but you will get some good gains to your high end power.

by the way with no cats and just the resonators the megan mid-pipe comes with PLUS your TRD axleback...no offense but your car will SOUND..."hideous"...

Quick Reply: RASP