Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rear wheel conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
Originally Posted by poke
Why instead of critisising someone, just answer their question without insulting them. And if you don't know the answer just don't leave a post. This is the very reason why some people would become discoraged to ask for advise on these forums. I mean havn't you people ever thought maybe it's a little easier to post a question out to a lot of people at once instead of just going around garage to garage.
I thought this was a site where people who like scions could share ideas and get advise from other enthusiusts like them. Not a place where people insult your intelligence for asking a question.
as a member of quite a few "tuner" sites I can tell you this RWD conversion thread exists multiple times on every FWD forum. it gets old and if they were really interested in doing something like this, they would know to contact a shop that CAN do something like this. Even if its just to get advise most shops would gladly give pointers.

and as I always say.... if you ask a stupid question.. expect a stupid answer.
Now if I knew the answer...would I ask the question??

and if I really don't know...why would I ask in the first place...

and no question is a stupid question if the person asking "really" does not know the answer...
again, that's why people ASK questions...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc8
Originally Posted by ZPIracing
I don't have any pics of the 240sx on my home computer,
be sure to post up from the work computer or wherever, I've never seen a LS1 240SX, just people talk about doing it.
The LT1 is a larger engine anyway. Im sure an LS1 conversion wouldn't be that hard.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Other than ZPI, how could anyone really give you actual numbers to custom fab things you don't even know you need yet?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcsciontist
Originally Posted by poke
Why instead of critisising someone, just answer their question without insulting them. And if you don't know the answer just don't leave a post. This is the very reason why some people would become discoraged to ask for advise on these forums. I mean havn't you people ever thought maybe it's a little easier to post a question out to a lot of people at once instead of just going around garage to garage.
I thought this was a site where people who like scions could share ideas and get advise from other enthusiusts like them. Not a place where people insult your intelligence for asking a question.
as a member of quite a few "tuner" sites I can tell you this RWD conversion thread exists multiple times on every FWD forum. it gets old and if they were really interested in doing something like this, they would know to contact a shop that CAN do something like this. Even if its just to get advise most shops would gladly give pointers.

and as I always say.... if you ask a stupid question.. expect a stupid answer.
Now if I knew the answer...would I ask the question??

and if I really don't know...why would I ask in the first place...

and no question is a stupid question if the person asking "really" does not know the answer...
again, that's why people ASK questions...

i could have sworn it was in the faq to search first.. guess i'm wrong
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
tC would haul ___ if it was RWD than FWD
How exactly would the tC be faster if it was RWD? If anything it would be slower because of the extra weight a RWD system would add. Its not as if a RWD car gives you more hp.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would be faster in the corners
Old 06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im still curious about an awd turbo tC. not that it would cost effective or simple, or that i would even do it. but the idea of a tC evo killer makes me smile.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i totally agree with whippedcracker.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RWD is better than FWD when it comes to racing/ launching...

your pushing your car instead of pulling! only problem with RWD is danger hazards with turning and braking... for the tC 60-0 braking distance : 125 ft, if it was rwd the distance would increase.. braking with the RWD is like dragging your car to stop. RWD you can spin out out of control easier than fwd.

Race a 240sx (155hp) against your tC, lets see who has the better launch...

AWD is the safest for driving tho more expensive to put in.. overall turning and braking is better then both RWD and FWD. from 0-30 AWD would take the lead at launch then comes RWD and FWD last.

check the times for Subaru 2.5 RS (new model)? from 0-30 it can launch better than the tC but after that its too heavy to go further. grab a turbo (wrx) and itll haul ___.

check this when comes to safety driving conditions
1.AWD 2.FWD 3.RWD
launching
1.AWD 2.RWD 3.FWD
pricing
1.AWD 2.RWD 3 FWD

when i meant spin out of control i mean take hrad turn at high speed! not doing a donut. RWD can do donuts easily but FWD you gotta be a good driver and not spin out of control
Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and it makes so much sense... what would you rather do? push or pull???
Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The bottom line is the car is front wheel drive. It will never be rear wheel drive. It is highly unlikely that anyone on this forum will ever sucussfully convert one to rear wheel drive. These are pipe dreams. Not gonna happen. If you want a rear wheel drive car, go buy one. They're out there. The TC was not designed to be a race car. If you want a race car, go buy or build one. There are so many more cost-effective ways to go racing than a TC. Don't fool yourself.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea.. i know but im talkin about if tC was originally rwd as stock...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
The bottom line is the car is front wheel drive. It will never be rear wheel drive. It is highly unlikely that anyone on this forum will ever sucussfully convert one to rear wheel drive. These are pipe dreams. Not gonna happen. If you want a rear wheel drive car, go buy one. They're out there. The TC was not designed to be a race car. If you want a race car, go buy or build one. There are so many more cost-effective ways to go racing than a TC. Don't fool yourself.
hmmm...or maybe have the one and only rear wheel drive tC...

If I can have my question answered about a price...I can do even more research locally as to who is qualified to do it...

I love my car, and I'll do whatever I want to it...stop replying to this post if you're not going to answer my question!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The way I see it, the only way you're going to get ball-park prices is by going to someone who IS qualified to do it. What are you going to do if a shop quotes you more? Tell them that "the guys on SL said it should only cost $XX,XXX.xx" If you did find someone who would take it on, I'd bet they wouldn't give you an actual number, but an estimate of the time and materials envisioned but with an open ended hourly rate for the unknown problems and like ZPI mentioned, No time limit.

IMO, this isn't the kind of project that is done on a tight budget. It's like the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Old 06-09-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
IMO, this isn't the kind of project that is done on a tight budget. It's like the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Thats probably the truth, your going to end up spending more than the car is worth in the end. With all of the custom fabrication that will have to be done.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know what? DIY! Take some metal tubing and weld some little loops onto the under body, stick the tubes into it. Put some gears onto the tube (both sides) and link one side to the tranny and the other to a series of more tubes, loops, and gears, all the way to the rear wheels.

AWD. For RWD... disconnect the front wheels to the tranny.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it is a grand idea, not all things are done becaue they are easy, cost effective, etc, etc.

We will probaly go for RWD or AWD in our tC in a couple of years, why??? Because we want to and could care less about it being cost effective, etc, the challenge is the real reward;)
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the times for Subaru 2.5 RS (new model)? from 0-30 it can launch better than the tC but after that its too heavy to go further. grab a turbo (wrx) and itll haul ___.
it's not that it's too heavy it's that there's to much power loss from crank->wheels. you get about 18-20% drivetrain loss.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's not that it's too heavy it's that there's to much power loss from crank->wheels. you get about 18-20% drivetrain loss.
Yea, it'd end up just like the WRX and STi - fast at the launch, but they lose steam at freeway speeds. For example, a stock SRT-4 is faster than a WRX on the freeway.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have worked on STI's and Evo's and driven them both a fair amount, I love them both for what they are. Anything above a 20 MPH roll on start and my turbo Matrix would stomp them to 120, speed gov limited, the owners agreed as well. A mildly moded Evo tried to play one day from 75 on the freeway(very short and to the point as I generally do not race on public roads;)

But, we are only mentioning one narrow aspect of performance, all the power in the world is useless on a street driven car if your suspension and brakes are not up to same level, at least for those of us that like to go around corners, stop well, etc, etc.

I have to disagree abit, those AWD cars are very very heavy and that is a huge performance hit.

Rick

Quick Reply: Rear wheel conversion??