Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Which resonator to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Which resonator to get?

Right now I am running Megan-Racing Headers, stock-mid pipe and s-pipe, and HKS Hi-Power axle back.

By now you probably guessed my problem. Rasp.

Immedietaly someone is going to say loose the headers. Well, i don't want to do that, what would be the point of getting them in the first place?

So I'm looking for a the cheapest way to reduce rasp and maybe even a little bit of loudness. I was thinking of buying an s-pipe + midpipe, and then welding a resonator and a high flow cat. But my question is what brand and how much? Also, is there any aftermarket midpipes that come with a resonator or a catalytic converter?

All right, all of the above was basically answered, so what/which brand/model resonator should i get. Someone mentioned this one on a different thread.
http://moesperformance.com/index.php...7476ae637d3015
Any good?

But i think it may be too short.

Thanks in advance SL guys.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Megan makes a mid pipe. From what I hear the megan full exhaust isn't raspy I haven't heard one yet so I dont know the truth to this. I know tho you need resinators to help reduce the rasp... But yet again I dont know to much about this car and only go by what I want and like... Hope it helps out a little bit
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you want louder, go for a full headerback exhaust system. if not, keep the stock midpipe and s-pipe, and weld more and bigger resonators on your stocker.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get an s-pipe and keep the stock mid-pipe and weld the resonators to it. getting a new midpipe(brand name) and cutting it to weld a resonator is a waste when you can just go custom with less of the cost but then cops will be all over you because of how loud it is going to be.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yup yup agreed
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcidDrop
get an s-pipe and keep the stock mid-pipe and weld the resonators to it. getting a new midpipe(brand name) and cutting it to weld a resonator is a waste when you can just go custom with less of the cost but then cops will be all over you because of how loud it is going to be.
Well the whole point of me wanting to get an aftermarket one is because doesn't it have better flow, and with the bottle neck in the middle does my header/exhaust setup bring any power? If i'm gonna get an s-pipe and weld in a hi flow cat and a resonator in the stock midpipe, you think that's going to reduce rasp and not increase (maybe even lower?) the loudness?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reduce rasp..yes, lower the loudness..it should but not like alot. there's alot of people who have the midpipe as well and it loud enough that a cop doesn't even need to think twice about pulling you over.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reduce rasp..yes, lower the loudness..it should but not like alot. there's alot of people who have the midpipe as well and it loud enough that a cop doesn't even need to think twice about pulling you over.
As long as it doens't go louder than i'm already at....So how long of a resoantor and what brand should i be looking at? also what diameter is the stock piping?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the stock pipe is 2.25, go for one that is 16" and give that a try to reduce most of the rasp depending on how much you have. if you have alot then 2 resonators will do the trick but if you have very little then 1 will be fine. the s-pipe will barely make it louder because that is where most of the restricted air gets jammed. you won't notice it much from the outside but more from the inside.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All right for now, i'm just going for eliminating the rasp, so i think i'll just stick with the resonator...what about the catalytic converter? is that need it/worth it if don't have a CEL with my headers?

Also, when cutting my stock midpipe, where should i cut it to weld in the resonator, after the o2 sensor right?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't remember if the mid-pipe even has an o2 sensor which i doubt it does but whoever is welding it for you will know exactly where to put it. as for putting another CAT just forget about it, you lost the one from the headers and that is the main one that counts and can't be replaced unless you go back to stock headers which you don't want to but it's not needed which is why you feel more of a push when you step on it because nothing is holding back that exhaust air.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah, o2 sensors are only on the s-pipe and the header.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't remember if the mid-pipe even has an o2 sensor which i doubt it does but whoever is welding it for you will know exactly where to put it. as for putting another CAT just forget about it, you lost the one from the headers and that is the main one that counts and can't be replaced unless you go back to stock headers which you don't want to but it's not needed which is why you feel more of a push when you step on it because nothing is holding back that exhaust air.
Well, that's the problem, he won't know where exactly to put it. I have someone whois good at welding is going to do this for me, but he knows nothing about exhausts....
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw 02 sensor is in the s-pipe, the sensor in the exhaust manifold is an AFR sensor, not the same.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what's a good brand for resonators?