Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rev my tC to 6800 rpm w/ pix and video, pass rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rev my tC to 6800 rpm w/ pix and video, pass rev limiter

Hello all.

After installing the greddy emanage ultimate, I was able to program the rev limit higher than the factory ~6100rpm! Here is the picture and the video of it reving at the new limit that was set at 6800 rpm! The video is hard to see because it occurred so fast, so I took a pix on another run. I could have set the rev limit to 7000+ rpm, but I didn't want to try that just yet.

There is a Speed limit deactivator with the greddy emanage ultimate. I heard it works. I haven't tried, but after the rev limit increase worked, I am inclined to believe this also works!

Once I get familiar with the emanage ultimate, I'll start installing my turbo.

Pix! Enjoy!

Video! Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

is that a CEL?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, that is "Maintenance Required" ....I need to change my oil. I have been using mobil synthetic, so I change my oil about 7000 miles instead of the 5000 miles recommendation.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

Now your talkin! I hope you can somehow verify if the speed limiter deactivater works. If it does, then I'm buying one!

Good job on the pics!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanna see how much hp u get at dat rpm
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The speed limiter deactivator works as well. Its been tested.

Charles
Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

The speed limiter deactivator works as well. Its been tested.
By who? Not trying to rock the boat, If its 100% true, then I'm buying one!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm a dyno would be nice now to see whats happening with hp and tourque
Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my concern is can the engine take the higher revs? theirs a reason why they dont rev that high
Old 11-16-2005, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard someone say the stock internals can take it but not constantly and not for too long...now i have no idea what too long would be
Old 11-16-2005, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

stock internals? I thought the dome wasnt low.... so they couldnt go any higher....
Old 11-16-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They can. The rev limiter on the 2AZ is set there because after that point there's no power to made without some serious modding.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shouldnt it rev to 8 before that becomes an issue?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
They can. The rev limiter on the 2AZ is set there because after that point there's no power to made without some serious modding.
Peak hp 5700 right
Old 11-16-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the looks of that picture, you hit 56or57mph on 2nd gear at 6800rpm??

i think if you get it at 7000rpm.. maybe youll get 58 or 59mph... if you hit 60 your good to go... thatll make me wanna buy an emanage....

then again you gotta dyno that thing and see wats goin on at redline....
Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Peak hp occurs at 5700 RPM. After that, the torque curve drops right off so at 8000 RPM you're looking at a pretty low HP curve. At these engine speeds, the stock motor runs out of breath and can't properly draw in enough air. Modding has to be done to ease breathing at such high speeds to continue creating torque and therefore HP.

Such efficiency at high engine speeds often comes at the cost of efficiency at low engine speeds. With a high-flow set up the engine can breathe easily at high RPM but suffer some turbulence at lower RPM (think of the loss from an exhaust or intake that is too large.) Honda has managed to combat this on a wide scale and Toyota has really only done it with the GT-S by adding a new cam lobe that will have excessive intake at high engine speeds to feed more air into the combustion when it's needed. When less air is needed, the regular cam comes back in for regular application.

The tC's FE head is purpose built for passenger car duty without the race cam and thus reaches peak efficiency much faster and much lower than a purpose built race car.

Now, the reason for my discussion on this..

So, you know that rumor about a new Scion coming out this summer? The performance Scion? Edmunds said it was gonna be a 2.4 liter performance engine put in either a coupe or a sedan. Is anyone seeing a 2AZ-GE? You N/A guys might be able to finally make some progress with VVTL-i! Can you say head swap? Tranny swap perhaps? swap this, swap that, pretty soon we may be as swap happy as Honda people! A few years from now a new scion will come out and every week, instead of a supercharger thread, a new "What engine will fit" thread will come out! Huh.. maybe it's not such a good thing..
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Peak hp occurs at 5700 RPM. After that, the torque curve drops right off so at 8000 RPM you're looking at a pretty low HP curve. At these engine speeds, the stock motor runs out of breath and can't properly draw in enough air. Modding has to be done to ease breathing at such high speeds to continue creating torque and therefore HP.

Such efficiency at high engine speeds often comes at the cost of efficiency at low engine speeds. With a high-flow set up the engine can breathe easily at high RPM but suffer some turbulence at lower RPM (think of the loss from an exhaust or intake that is too large.) Honda has managed to combat this on a wide scale and Toyota has really only done it with the GT-S by adding a new cam lobe that will have excessive intake at high engine speeds to feed more air into the combustion when it's needed. When less air is needed, the regular cam comes back in for regular application.

The tC's FE head is purpose built for passenger car duty without the race cam and thus reaches peak efficiency much faster and much lower than a purpose built race car.

Now, the reason for my discussion on this..

So, you know that rumor about a new Scion coming out this summer? The performance Scion? Edmunds said it was gonna be a 2.4 liter performance engine put in either a coupe or a sedan. Is anyone seeing a 2AZ-GE? You N/A guys might be able to finally make some progress with VVTL-i! Can you say head swap? Tranny swap perhaps? swap this, swap that, pretty soon we may be as swap happy as Honda people! A few years from now a new scion will come out and every week, instead of a supercharger thread, a new "What engine will fit" thread will come out! Huh.. maybe it's not such a good thing..

Haha Honda forums come to mind
Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honda forums...haha.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome, great vid
Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I don't think the block is going to have any problems. . . I'm no expert on the 2.4, but if memory serves me right, the stroke isn't too bad.

What I would be concerned with is the valvetrain. They're are going to be workin extra extra hard at that RPM, and I'm not sure if there are substantial power gains to justify the added stres.

Nice upgrades would be custom cams and valve springs. Along with FI, you'd be able to extract the most of that added rev range.

Quick Reply: Rev my tC to 6800 rpm w/ pix and video, pass rev limiter