Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Was ripped off on install of TRD short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member

Default Was ripped off on install of TRD short throw shifter

I went the the Mall of Ga Toyota dealer and had my TRD short throw shifter install, the grand total was 670 bucks including 340 in labor, I just checked the price of a dealer in tn who does the entire job with the parts for 365. What if anything can I do to correct this problem with the gross overcharge
Old 04-08-2006, 06:45 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

... omg.... i dunno what you can do to fix that... i mean.. you already paid and signed the paperwork.. right? research man.... gotta do research first.... daymn.... i'd be really ____ed if i were you.... maybe go back to the guys and yell at them for your money back?? i don't know what other option you have...

geez... i would've installed that thing in yourself..
Old 04-08-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could cry?... but it wont solve anything...
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member

yeah I just got the car two weeks ago last week, i'm use to installin parts on my old del sol and my blazer not a brand new car. I love the difference in the shifter but i'm really ____ed, and the reason i didn't do the install is I broke two bones in my left and and since i'm left handed it would have been really hard and I haven't found anyone in the local area that could have helped. But my hand is better and i'm going to do the install on the intake and rear sway bar
Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know why you even wanted the TRD shifter. I bought my car and never added anything on, just the base tC...cuz i know it is rip off price. for example, their freakin' factory TINT...it cost $300+ -->for a fucl<in tint?!!! my dark tint cost $150 from a local tint shop and its a genuine product that blocks UV rays and all that!! anyways, I have B&M shifter for $150 shipped and i installed it myself, it was easy dude. Learn from your mistake.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:59 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

uhh.. factory tint? seems to me more like dealer accessory to make some money option..
Old 04-08-2006, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for that price you could have bought a used tranny.

you could complain to scion corporate or complain to guest relations manager for that dealer
Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ouch, damn. my dealer quoted me 671 for a spring install. the trd springs, but that was labor only.

hell, i could buy the springs for 150, and camber kit, and do it at home in a few hours.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like it was stated earlier: RESEARCH!! Exhaust all your options before committing to a dealer for installs. Since you signed the paper(s) giving the dealership permission to do the install, I would think that you're S.O.L.! At least your shifter works. Good luck with your battle.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you got taken. At least you know now that it is more worthwhile to shop around. Maybe that lesson is what you bought!

BrianH
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch, can you walk okay?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call the number in my signature, tell them what happened.

As far as I know, MOST if not ALL TRD parts INCLUDE the cost of installation in their purchase price.

You obviously won't be told the same depending on who you ask at the dealership, and for some parts you will have to pay labor fees in addition to the part cost.

Call Scion Customer Service and get the specifics on that. Even if you have to have a Toyota Service Representative come out to your dealership, inspect your car and talk to the Service Department, it's worth it to get your money back, and show the dealership you expect to pay the fair, posted Pure Pricing Scion offers.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i said before and ill say it again...

NERVER go to the dealer to get anything installed! NEVER!

Crazy fools quoted me $500 for labor on springs! WTF!
The only thing i would go to the dealer is for supercharger install and FREE oil changes, and of course warranty things!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
Call the number in my signature, tell them what happened.

As far as I know, MOST if not ALL TRD parts INCLUDE the cost of installation in their purchase price.

You obviously won't be told the same depending on who you ask at the dealership, and for some parts you will have to pay labor fees in addition to the part cost.

Call Scion Customer Service and get the specifics on that. Even if you have to have a Toyota Service Representative come out to your dealership, inspect your car and talk to the Service Department, it's worth it to get your money back, and show the dealership you expect to pay the fair, posted Pure Pricing Scion offers.
Exactly. If the dealership tells you otherwise, go somewhere else. The prices they give if you build a car on www.scion.com include installation and shouldn't cost any more, anywhere.
At the same time, the prices I got for mine installed at the dealership were cheaper than say, buying the parts from www.trdsparks.com and having them installed. Some dealerships are just true pieces of garbage that have certain employess that will rot in hell for their injustices to mankind.
But, never say never.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm.. you could have bought the shifter for what 150 and then since you came down to mall of ga you could have came to athens ga where i am and i would have installed it for 100... 250 total.. oh well like they said above research... next time you know... ask people on this forum because a lot of us live close to you..
plus... i went to mall of ga to see about getting my tc there but they quoted me so high.. their admin fees were 400 dollars more than anywhere else..
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yeah... i would've installed it free for you if i lived close by... and maybe suggested a better (and cheaper) short shifter (in my opinion and what i have.. TWM stage 2)
Old 04-09-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could go beat owner? that is like highway robbery...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Damn, that sucks man.

I paid for my TRD shifter when I got the car. I'm going to ask how much they'll charge for the install and if I don't like the price I'll just do it myself.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go to Scion.com and look at the accessories (tC), then "Performance", you will see the "TRD Short Shifter" listed. Click on it. After a brief description it states "Installation not included". Will be kind of hard to fight that.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was suppose 2 be .5 on labor u could go back and get some money back

Quick Reply: Was ripped off on install of TRD short throw shifter