Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Royal Purple or Amsoil or ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been using Royal Purple for the last 4 oil changes. Roughly 5k per change. They say it can run up higher then 5k but i notice that it will get sluggish if you push more than 5K. I did notice an increase in millage just as Yanki01 did but I think that I am getting between 285 to almost 300. Usually average 29 miles per gallon.

HP for sure went up as well as the engine runs smoother as well. Easier starts in the cold as well.

For filter I use Mobil 1. From what I have heard the K&N filters are not worth it because they will clog before or around 3k miles of use.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Pennzoil..Really?? I always heard it was not so good. I have Royal Purple and honestly i dont feel any gain but i seem to get a lil bit better mpg. I think I am gonna take my car in though it seems to be idling a lil rough. I used to not hear my engine at idle it was so quite now i do and i know the intake dont do it cause it was quite when i had my CAI on before. It kinda has a lub-lub lub-lub not to loud but if you listen you can hear it.
I was kidding. I would rather use cow urine than Pennzoil.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

do you guys check your old oil when you do change oil? if not, then i suggest you guys do it.. many use mileage as basis for the next change oil, but one thing you should consider is that cars experience different driving conditions like driving habits, loads, city or highway driving and such.. Even though you are on time with 5k oil change when you see that your oil is so dirty then you might wanna change it earlier next time, and just because you got full synthetic doesnt mean you will change you oil for extended miles, thats ok if your oil is still clean and your driving condition is not that heavy that requires you a more frequent change.. Synthetic oils are only more stable oils that burns less but doesnt mean you change oil every 8k miles coz they say its fine.. 5k miles oil change should only be an estimate (ballpark) you should adjust it depends on use
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm What should i use for my first oil change in 2 months? Im deciding between Mobil1 and Royal Purple. For my last tc i just went to jiffy lube but idk what kind of oil they use.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Jiffy Lube uses Pennzoil, aka tar.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Oh crap! Well thats good to know Thanks!.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what i figured Carbon but one of those really good oil websites the one i found threw one of the threads about oil on here says that the Pennzoil Full Synthetic is actually better than Mobil1. But I think I should be fine with my Royal Purple. Although I need to have my engine looked at by Toyota for my rough idle.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i use royal purple n yea i can fell da difference in da engine it runs more smoth n my mpg is been a lil better since i started using it n it doesnt burn as quick like da other ones i had
Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been using Royal Purple 5w20 for the last 50k miles or so on my 07 tc - yes I drive *alot* - and I am averaging roughly 27-28 miles per gallon consistently. thats with the sunroof open all the time.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yet again MOBIL 1
Old 10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic after my first oil change and it ran about as good as it did with the regular oil. After switching to Royal Purple I noticed a nice difference in how smooth the car ran. The main difference was after shifting. It felt like the motor was experiencing less stress under all conditions. I will forever use Royal Purple!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump bump ;)

I think Royal Purple might be the oil to buy ;)

like I stated before I did notice a small HP & MPG gain in the Honda CR-V ;) I can only hope & prey that I will see the same gains in the tC

bump bump
Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

hm i know people that use/used royal purple they liked it i personally never tried it. i use to run castrol syntec on all my cars and then i went to mobil1 never goin bak to any other type of oil i guess i gotta give the royal a shot
Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 PM

royal purple ftw
Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by EDDIEA123
Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Oh crap! Well thats good to know Thanks!.
Actually, let me rephrase that. Jiffy Lube pushes to sell Pennzoil because it's their highest profiting oil. You can request a better oil or bring your own oil. However, with the way Jiffy Lube does things, I wouldn't doubt that they'd keep your good oil and put the Pennzoil in your car. Actually, they would probably not do the oil change all together.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to the brands I am sure all have pros and cons. To break it down simply switch to a synthetic if you are not already running one, they help to clean out the goop, and leave a nice film promoting less friction and more mpg. If you are NA stretch the oil change out till 7000 miles or so but change the filter at around 3500 as they start to loose the ability to do thier job around 4000 miles or so and this is all filters not just K&N, FRAM or OEM. Don't forget to top off after a filter change! If you are boosted go with a standard oil change interval. I notice a smoother running motor and 2mpg increase about 6000 miles into my switch over, btw I only ran the first oil change to 4000 and dumped it to get what ever oil was left from before the swap and contaminants out.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i was also wondering which oil to use...and now i am leanning towards Royal Purple since so many people find its good to use!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

warren, let me know if u want amsoil, i get all there stuff at wholesale, even the ngk plugs, wipers, and mothers stuff, basically anything on there site.

ive been running amsoil in all my cars and gf car and all family cars for about 3 years and its awesome stuff, u can feel the difference, especially tranny fluid, man that ____ is awesome, we did curtis's xb bout 3 months ago too and he loves it...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 365Motorwerks
In regards to the brands I am sure all have pros and cons. To break it down simply switch to a synthetic if you are not already running one, they help to clean out the goop, and leave a nice film promoting less friction and more mpg. If you are NA stretch the oil change out till 7000 miles or so but change the filter at around 3500 as they start to loose the ability to do thier job around 4000 miles or so and this is all filters not just K&N, FRAM or OEM. Don't forget to top off after a filter change! If you are boosted go with a standard oil change interval. I notice a smoother running motor and 2mpg increase about 6000 miles into my switch over, btw I only ran the first oil change to 4000 and dumped it to get what ever oil was left from before the swap and contaminants out.
Um how do you change your oil filter without losing oil. You pull that bad boy off and all that wonderful oil spills. Is there a secret I dotn know about.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I dont think you will lose a lot of oil, most of the oil are in the oil pan, may a lil spill and the oil on the filter is all that you will lose

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Amsoil or ???