Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

s/c tC vs Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default s/c tC vs Acura TSX

Hi all,
What are tC( with s/c) chances competing with Acura TSX performance wise?
Both have 200 hp/ 166 tq. tC curbweight is much less than TSX.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.modernracer.com/acuratsx.html

curb weight for the TSX is about 3300 LBS and 2950 for the tC. I'd saya supercharged tC would probably beat the TSX but it would be close...if you factor in the driver, it can go either way i guess.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

The sc tc could be a bit faster, but you never know since the acura has a 6speed close ratio gearbox and a really long powerband. In terms of handling that's a tossup. Really would not be able to tell until the tc comes out, in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Handling on the accor...I mean TSX, will probably be better on the TSX. Whe I drove one, the handling was amazing - the car stayed firmly planted with hardly any body roll. Power/Speedwise, I'd say it all depends on the driver - the cars are pretty much neck and neck with engine specs, but the Acura does have a better transmission, as stated above.

Also, why are you compairing these two cars?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
jjp
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default torque

The sc 2.4 should have similar hp/torque numbers, within 10-15 of each other. So, you are looking at at least 200/185... most likeley closer to 200/200 for the tC.

Straight line I'd bet on the tC. Add suspension upgrades with some of the amount of money uou save versus buying a tsx, and tC anytime, anywhere.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member

Excellent reply, jjp!

because both are Euro-Asian products (Avensis, Euro Accord), almost same dimensions, same HP/Tq. All the websites and forums about tC say it is a competitor for Civic Si and RSX. I just wanted to know why tC can't be a potential competitor to TSX(minus luxury) ? I am also assuming that a $7000 price difference can't be attributed just to luxury.

From unrealii and rbloedow replies, i think i've got some info i need.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionfan
Excellent reply, jjp!

because both are Euro-Asian products (Avensis, Euro Accord), almost same dimensions, same HP/Tq. All the websites and forums about tC say it is a competitor for Civic Si and RSX. I just wanted to know why tC can't be a potential competitor to TSX(minus luxury) ? I am also assuming that a $7000 price difference can't be attributed just to luxury.

From unrealii and rbloedow replies, i think i've got some info i need.
I don't know, if I had the money to buy a TSX, I wouldn't even consider the tC. The TSX's interior is godly, rivaling any interior from VAG (Volkswagon Auto Group). The transmission is perfect, smooth, and it makes a solidfying "snick" as it enters each gate for each gear. The leather is soft and supple, and the whole interior design is great! The optional navigation system is one of the best in the industry, and the largest screen from ANY manufacturer. Everything about the car is in a cabiler above the rest.

That said, I just don't understand why these two cars would be compaired to each other. They are different cars in different classes. Not to put down the tC - it's a great car for the money, but it's like comparing a Corolla to a Lexus ES300.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i own a scion, and i dont have anything against the car, but i am personsally a honda person. without a doubt, the tc honestly would not meet up to the standards of the tsx. one might wiegh less than the other but hondas simply are all out better performers. 200 hp from a 2.4L stock is amazing. especially for a honda. the tc is better compared to a civic si or rsx. they have more incommon. but undoubtedly, the tc would probably be best compared to those two cars since they will all be considered in the same class.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default article about tC and TSX

http://thehollywoodextra.com/Scion/scion.html

The all new Scion Tc is based on the Japanese mid size, Avensis. A car smaller than the Camry, but larger than the Corolla. The Avensis is available in sedan or wagon, but not as a coupe. It has been engineered for the European market. Which means the sC should feel very much like a European car. Much like the Acura TSX, which is a European Accord.

It looks a lot from the Acura competition, the TSX. And it is almost the same size.
The guy who wrote that on his site may not be the best car expert as some people are in this forum, but still he thinks the same.

I still think my argument cannot be outrightly eliminated.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member

What's up tc'ers? I'm a megamod on a tsx forum and just wanted to weigh in on the topic and say the respect is reciprocated. Most of us really dig the looks of the tc and think it is a great car for the money with lots of potential for customizing.

I think most people that drive tsx's realizes it's not a drag car(a little to heavy) but handles well and is quite well rounded. WE dont' have many people take them to the track, but with the ones that have we have seen a best stock time of about 15.3 in the 1/4. But those are all stock including the crap michelin tires and I think 2.4 60' times. WE all figure with good tires we can drop those down a tenth or two narrrowing in on a 15.1 or 15 flat for a stock tsx with upgraded tires.

What do stock tcs run? Realize you are down on hp but also weigh a good 8-10 percent less. I have no doubt a sc tc will probably hit high 14s which would make it marginally quicker than a stock tsx!

Does anyone have a good dyno of a tc stock or with i/h/e? I'm interested in how tunable the 2.4 in it is.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I killed a few TSX with my Jetta, I do agree they seem to handle well, but in a straight line street fight um, they are not very fast.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...mid=-1&src=vip

Says here mid 16 to 17s which is NOT good

http://acura.jbcarpages.com/TSX/2004/index3.php

OK we have one at 15.6 I've seen times from here to 16s. The ones that I've raced seem slow enough on a straight line.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

Looks like R&T got only .78 g out of a TSX, dunno, I like the car but what is base price for a TSX vs a TC?

I mean sure the TSX is nice but it ain't like there is a blow out here stock vs stock and give the TC a new set of tires and a supercharger. Um TC baby....

here too:
http://www.matrixowners.com/forum/about32107.html

So the TSX may have 40 more HP but it only has 3 ft-lbs more torque and people buy HP but drive torque.

Like I said I like the TSX but for the $$$ I can have a lot of TC and a lot of toys car and other types.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

haha. Dont' believe magazines, believe timeslips from users. Weve had 3 hit 15.3 all stock including tires. also why i noted it's not a drag car, but it's silly to think it's that slow.

I dind't write to start ____ing match but don't be ludicrious about the handling. It's a very good setup, multilink at all wheels. G ratings have very little do with handling ability and lots to do with the width/grip of stock tires. (other wise explain a boaty gto getting a higher G rating than an is300)The tsx stockers are terrible all seasons. Much more telling is slalom/lane change numbers which the tsx excel at. All magazines praise it for it's balance and neutral handling.

Now if you ant to talk about power output you need to start including dynos and gear ratios so you can get an accuate picture of what a car is putting down to the pavement. Stock tsxs put down 175 hp and 155lbft at the wheels. Makes it seem the hp and torque figures were alittle underrated. With just an intkae we have one user making 183hp and 162lbft of torque at the wheels.

Your statement about hp and toque is too simplistic. You need to know hp, toue, where they occur and the gearing involved to know what a car puts to the ground.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agree on the tires, same goes for the TC, Magazine times are tested without Banzai launches and power shifts etc I'm sure there will be some fast TC when the weather clears a little. It is safe to say they are stock for stock these cars are in the same performance range, based on independent test. Meaning a SC TC is going to put a major smack down on a TSX.

Come now we are talking base TSX MSRP at 27,500 vs TC MSRP or 16,400 base, $11100 can buy a lot of toys.... tires, supercharger, 100,000 mile warranty, dates, TV, gamebody, computer, xbox, trip for two to Vegas, more dates,

Also I'd take the boat GTO over a TSX anyday. FYI.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

Good for you! I for one like tcs and would buy one if I was looking for a car in that price range. Just like if I wanted to spend a few k more in the gtos price range I'd be in a g35c most likely. I was just pointing out a phallacy with taking mag numbers too literally. I don't think anyone would say a gto out handles an is300. It's obvious no one bought a tsx because it's fast or to race it. If we wanted to do that we could have saved money and bought a srt4! The "i could put on this mod and save this money" arguement i played out. I could buy a 85 previa supercharged tune it up and blow the doors off either car. for probably 2 grand. haha.

I never made any claims to the speed of the two cars vs eachotehr other than we have timeslips of the tsx hitting 15.3 as opposed to the numbers you saw in a mag and was questioning what stock tcs run. It will undoubtedly be faster with the sc. But just remember, even being 1 second faster in the 1/4(which is a little optimistic I think for a tc running a 14.3) that's only about 10 car lengths. If it wasnt a bit faster(in fact, alot faster!) having the same displacement, a sc and 200 less pounds it would be laughable. I think mor erealistically it would hit about 14.5 or so...or 8 car lenghts over a stock tsx.

Feel free to resond to any of the technical points I made earlier concerning timeslips of actual cars, dynos, gear ratios. I was actually interested in that information which is why I posted in the first place.(note: it won't be found in any car magazines)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by oldman
agree on the tires, same goes for the TC, Magazine times are tested without Banzai launches and power shifts etc I'm sure there will be some fast TC when the weather clears a little.
I disagree with that statement. I think most magazine launch whatever way they think will get them the best times. FYI tsxs get their best times launched at about 3krpms slipping the clutch, not dumping. (stock torque peak is 2700rpms and again at 4500) If it was rwd car maybe a "banzai" dump would be beneficial but with the tsx it would just get you an ugly burnout without going anywhere.

Now as I said before i'm not much for mag racing -- dont' think it tells the whole story - but they have another stat which is more useful for gauging day to day driving, the 5-60 test. It takes launching/tires out of the equation. While tests conducted on different days in different conditions aren't directly applicable c&d managed a 5-60 of 8 seconds with the tc and 7.7 with the tsx. That's alot of time to put on a car in a short sprint. And if it continued to a full 1/4 mile the tsx would continue to walk away with it's much stronger top end. I think that shows if anyone is benefitting from a burning launch in that comparison of 1/4 miles times it would be the tc.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Originally Posted by oldman
agree on the tires, same goes for the TC, Magazine times are tested without Banzai launches and power shifts etc I'm sure there will be some fast TC when the weather clears a little.
I disagree with that statement. I think most magazine launch whatever way they think will get them the best times. FYI tsxs get their best times launched at about 3krpms slipping the clutch, not dumping. (stock torque peak is 2700rpms and again at 4500) If it was rwd car maybe a "banzai" dump would be beneficial but with the tsx it would just get you an ugly burnout without going anywhere.

Now as I said before i'm not much for mag racing -- dont' think it tells the whole story - but they have another stat which is more useful for gauging day to day driving, the 5-60 test. It takes launching/tires out of the equation. While tests conducted on different days in different conditions aren't directly applicable c&d managed a 5-60 of 8 seconds with the tc and 7.7 with the tsx. That's alot of time to put on a car in a short sprint. And if it continued to a full 1/4 mile the tsx would continue to walk away with it's much stronger top end. I think that shows if anyone is benefitting from a burning launch in that comparison of 1/4 miles times it would be the tc.

Lol this post is hilarious! Look according to Motor Trend and Car and Driver the tsx 6-spd manual runs a 16.0 flat. We run a 15.7 do the math.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member

mag racing = teh coolest thing evaaaar! FOr every magazine you can find another that says something different. What matters is what real people do at real tracks.

I come here praising the tc and trolls come out of the wood work because I say mag racing doesn't tell the whole story and back it up with timeslips and dynos from actual users along with analysis as to why. A guy talks about mag races and cluth dropping starts so I say why I think that was incorrect, and again back it up with facts and analysis.

Best iv'e seen in the timeslips thread is 16.3 . Granted taht's a good time for an auto, but you all need to be a little less defensive about your cars or people might start thinking you are insecure about them not being fast. (and before anyone chimes in from my first post I noted the tsx is not fast nor a drag car by any means and just wanted to talk about them in reference to eachother per the thread topic)
Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would a tsx and a toyota solara be a better comparo? I'm debating whether to get the TSX or SOLARA. they're both in the same price range (well, the SOLARA SLE is) and i just wanted to know, since we're in the topic of the TSX, which car you guys prefer in terms of value, longevity, quality and overall likeliness for each car.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member

I say it depends on what you really care for in your car. Are there certain features you need to have? xenons? I can't comment on things like resale or value since it depends on the deal you get. You won't know what's right for you until you take a test drive. No doubt the solara is a good bit quicker, that 330 is nic emotor! But I personally would put handling, exterior, interior and features in the tsx side, subjectively of course.

I personally think the tc is not a bad comparison for the tsx either if people are really cross shopping those two cars.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the TSX's ride quality as smooth as a Solara? When i test drove the Solara, it felt like i was driving a Lexus.

Quick Reply: s/c tC vs Acura TSX