Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion S/C easily upgraded (MY THOUGHTS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did anyone check out that videos on scionspeed.com? God that is sick.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats good potential to hear
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

our car is limited b/c it's a FF... I will bow down to whoever rips out our fwd chassis and puts in a rwd...

Originally Posted by scionspeed
In an attempt to break our previous 12.5sec ј mile record, we attended the NHRA Import racing event in Palm Beach Florida on April 3, 2005. Due to the new found HP and very high grip of the track, our passenger side axle sheared in half during qualifing rounds, ending our day at the track. We have sourced a new axle and will make another attempt in the next coming weeks. STAY TUNED!

RWD + power =

FWD + power =
Old 04-25-2005, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^
Please
why did you buy a scion, and not a gto or some other supreme rwd vehicle?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
^^^^^
Please
If you've noticed... I didn't buy my tC for speed...

Yes it's nice to make it go fast--let alone tune it on your own (rather than buying a car that's already fast).
But there's still a limit.
Horsepower can be attained no problem, but speed does not just mean horsepower. If you really want to customize and tune, hey why not convert to rwd (besides lack of money)?
When you put too much power to the front, you can really mess up your car, and it is definately not a daily driver. You will wear out your front tires very quickly (and gassing a little too much into/out of turns), very unevenly.
If you've read my other posts I am definately not one to bash on Scions. You shouldn't get defensive just because I say we are limited as FWD cars. It's true and you should very well know it.

I tell my friends about the new turbo and s/c specs all the time... I get very excited about it... I'd love to tune my car, but if I do I probably won't until it's middle aged. I don't want it to have to deal w/ constant oil changes, constant tires changes, etc in its youth. Maybe I have a bad philosophy, but that's my opinion. The home stretch, after all, is when you're supposed to push the hardest...

[Sorry if I've offended anyone, this is merely my opinion. Do with it what you will, but you can't take it from me.]
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't imagine this car with 300hp, I'de go through new tires every month!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
^^^ don't be calling people "nobbies" What ever that means. With out mentioning what kind of internals a stock EVO has. 2-4 psi on the 2az as a daily driver is safe. and the US stock evo's don't run boost in the teens.
I have been readin these forums for about a month now but this is my first post, However I am NOT NEW to the import scene. I got my start with Hondas and recently I bought a Tc. First off US Evos do run 19lbs of boost you can read it on Road and Tracks website. But you are right about metioning the difference of internals.

This is my opinion. Toyota built this engine with the intent of Boosting it. So it should hold up long term to some degree under boost. How much boost is the real question. Yes Scionspeed has in fact at least according to themsleves boosted very high on stock internals, but there is a real concearn as far as how long it will stay running in those conditions. We won't honestly know until these turbo kits hit the streets and its been a year or so down the road.

But from what Ive seen personally , most stock engines will hold up under a mild amount of boost for some time before you run into problems. But if your worried about it, either stick with Trd, stay stock, build the bottem end for an extra couple g's ( your already spending quite a bit anyhow), or be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
^^^^^
Please
If you've noticed... I didn't buy my tC for speed...

Yes it's nice to make it go fast--let alone tune it on your own (rather than buying a car that's already fast).
But there's still a limit.
Horsepower can be attained no problem, but speed does not just mean horsepower. If you really want to customize and tune, hey why not convert to rwd (besides lack of money)?
When you put too much power to the front, you can really mess up your car, and it is definately not a daily driver. You will wear out your front tires very quickly (and gassing a little too much into/out of turns), very unevenly.
If you've read my other posts I am definately not one to bash on Scions. You shouldn't get defensive just because I say we are limited as FWD cars. It's true and you should very well know it.

I tell my friends about the new turbo and s/c specs all the time... I get very excited about it... I'd love to tune my car, but if I do I probably won't until it's middle aged. I don't want it to have to deal w/ constant oil changes, constant tires changes, etc in its youth. Maybe I have a bad philosophy, but that's my opinion. The home stretch, after all, is when you're supposed to push the hardest...

[Sorry if I've offended anyone, this is merely my opinion. Do with it what you will, but you can't take it from me.]
Wait, don't apologize for your opinion. I agree. I love my baby, and while it would be fun to tune it senseless, it still has other purposes for me, and I'll do my best to protect it while still increasing the performance. I would also think that suspension and braking should take precedence over power right now, but I guess I'll take me and my opnions back to Corner Carvers =p
Old 04-26-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

if you look at most of the kits from TRD they boost around 7.5psi.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly the tC's front wheel driveedness wont give u problem
if u buy reel swide and sticky tires, ull have all the grip u need and with 300HP ur gonna be able to spare a lil speed for the wider heavier wheels that give you an overall better performance
Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If everyone is concerned about the engine having problems just buy the SC and you still have the warrantee plus an extra 12000 miles added on for the SC from vortech.
Most likely the sc will be running 5 to 6 psi, if this caused problems then trd wouldnt be offering it for the tc, they dont want a bunch of warrantee claims, also if you put a new pully on for like 70-100$ youll be running at like 9 psi and that probably wont void the warrantee, my dealer is pretty cool though, i guess it depends on each dealer.

The other issue with switching out fwd for rwd, you should just throw an LSD on there, and if youre going to switch out for rwd drive just go with AWD then youll be moving.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my opinion an SC would be a waste of money if your not gonna put it in any show's or use it for racing events. I turbo my Del Sol, kinda like the fact it's fast and enjoy the sound of the BOV going off. But then soon realize it was a waste of money since i won't be using it for show or race or what not. But that's just what i think.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ del sol was fast?

Sorry

Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ del sol was fast?

Sorry

well my del sol is pretty fast for 1.6 dohc the last time i took it to the tracks i ran low 13's in a quarter mile
a stock tc can't really compare to that
but it is good as a daily driver.
since i'm saving so much in gas
Old 04-26-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 619AKIRA619
^ del sol was fast?

Sorry

well my del sol is pretty fast for 1.6 dohc the last time i took it to the tracks i ran low 13's in a quarter mile
So you knocked between 2 and 3 seconds off of its stock time? That is hardly even close to stock then, so there is no comparison between it and a tC. I have already seen tCs run in the upper 12s, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Another comparison between stock and turboed-to-hell cars again
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by 619AKIRA619
^ del sol was fast?

Sorry

So you knocked between 2 and 3 seconds off of its stock time? That is hardly even close to stock then, so there is no comparison between it and a tC. I have already seen tCs run in the upper 12s, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Another comparison between stock and turboed-to-hell cars again

i wasn't comparing turbo to stock i was just making a point that my del sol is not slow that's all . And i believe boosting at just 5psi and cutting 3 sec of my time is pretty good.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

3 secs of your time with just 5 psi from a turbo, what else did u have done to the car?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by JakeMafia
3 secs of your time with just 5 psi from a turbo, what else did u have done to the car?
Exactly what I thought. He is going to be well under 200 HP with only 5psi of boost on a del sol. There is no way he is turning 13s with only that done to the car.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its possible, that car weighs pretty close to nothing.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but remember... it's a del sol

Quick Reply: Scion S/C easily upgraded (MY THOUGHTS)