Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM
SL Member

Default scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3

Wow, didn't know those mazda's were so damn fast. I knew they were turbo but If I get the basic greddy, turbonetics, or dezod s1 kit will I be able to beat a lightly modded mazdaspeed3? Right now I have I/H/E/P setup and just got my ___ kicked by a mazda. little disappointed

Although my friend has a mustang shelby gt350 and I can keep up with it because he has so much weight. system, dynamat, 20in rims, etc.

Thinkin about going turbo but not sure what kit yet.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the new speed 3 is faster than an evo. with a turbo kit you should beat it though
Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 AM
SL Member

ya, that thing was fast as hell
Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

man i know how u feel! all i had was i/h/e and i went up against one and i didnt know! i thought it was a regular mazda 3, i had no idea they made a special one called mazdaspeed.. i was extremely confused afterwards as to what had happened
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 AM
SL Member

hahaha. ya. he goes to my school and I told him i'd race him after I got mine turbo'd so I have to make sure i can beat him. Trying to see what kit to go with. Turbonetics, TT, Greddy, or Dezod.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're 17.

Wait. Enjoy your car for what it is. Get into college, get a degree, make lots of money...

Then buy an STi.

People who throw turbo kits onto their cars have a LOT more money and resources than a typical 17 year old. I'm sorry, but chances are, you're just not in the position to do all these things with your vehicle.

Don't worry, your time will come
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM
SL Member

hahaha, yea thats true. Just got accepted into Auburn, Alabama, waiting to hear from UCF, UF, and NYU. hopefully if all goes well i'll buy the new GTR!! lol

its just the fact that all my friends have nice ___ cars like shelby gt, evo x, and they're 16! spoiled as hell. and they talk down about my tc so want to show them wats up. a dezod s1 or TT kit should do it =) Just want to have a fun ride but not drive like an idiot. My friend over the summer this year was driving his brand new lexus is250 going about a 100 and lost control n crashed n lost his life and almost took my other best friend's life in the passenger seat. (RIP) so i try not to drive dumb but we all know as scion drivers there are times when a civic si, mazda3 or whatever pulls up next to you or speeds by you we have to show them whats up. so I'm just saving up selling my dirtbike and what not to get a turbo kit that is reliable and something that'll give me enough hp to win some races. =D
Old 11-07-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You've got to recenter on what's important... getting a turbo kit so you can street race, and potentially end up like your Lexus friend is NOT important. Even with a turbo kit, you still drive a tc, and they still drive a car MUCH nicer than yours.

Your friends are lucky, sure. But the things is, there is NOTHING like EARNING your car.

BE PATIENT. Good things will come, and you'll appreciate the fact you didn't have the badass car right out. You've already got a fun ride (plenty of 17 year olds with 8 year old corollas)... but keep things in perspective. I drove a hand-me-down toyota avalon when I was 17, and I felt lucky to have that granny car.

In fact, if you start autocrossing, you'll find it's easier to push the tC to it's limit... than it is to successfully reach the limits of an Evo, etc.... and be able to recover and push forward. With a shelby, once that back end gets out of your control, it's totally game over.

You'll grow out of street racing, just don't kill yourself first
Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by arhim22
its just the fact that all my friends have nice butt cars like shelby gt, evo x, and they're 16! spoiled as hell. and they talk down about my tc so want to show them wats up. a dezod s1 or TT kit should do it =) Just want to have a fun ride but not drive like an idiot. My friend over the summer this year was driving his brand new lexus is250 going about a 100 and lost control n crashed n lost his life and almost took my other best friend's life in the passenger seat. (RIP) so i try not to drive dumb but we all know as scion drivers there are times when a civic si, mazda3 or whatever pulls up next to you or speeds by you we have to show them whats up. so I'm just saving up selling my dirtbike and what not to get a turbo kit that is reliable and something that'll give me enough hp to win some races. =D
I live in a nice area, and about half the kids in my grade got nice cars. One had an audi r8, crashed it and his parents got him an escalde. another one of my friends drove his brothers 2005 acura tsx but didnt like it, and his parents got him a brand new mercedes c class.....but this is besides the point.

Of course everyone likes to show off, but it's only acceptable to a certain extent. Driving 100 and losing control is an example of that combined with stupidity. If you want to drive fast, do it on a track and with no one else in the car. Dont race on the roads. it is plain stupid. I've been challenged to race by my friends, but I dont race. I know they have a faster car (most of them, at least) and there's no point to it. I don't want to risk losing control, and possibly hurting myself or others. Not to mention a hefty ticket for the consequences.

So be the better man. You dont need "to show up" anyone. Whatever your choice, just be smart about it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

in the end what does a street race prove??
absoutly nothing..
but it could take everything
Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im more worried about the mustang on 20's what year is it and why 20's?

this doesn't make sense to me (muscle car guy here)
Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by datdude1119
man i know how u feel! all i had was i/h/e and i went up against one and i didnt know! i thought it was a regular mazda 3, i had no idea they made a special one called mazdaspeed.. i was extremely confused afterwards as to what had happened
please take it to the track......so much safer for everyone........enough shunning form me about it.

Yes the Speed 3 is an impressive car.My friend jsut did a baseline dyno and it was 243hp if I remember at the wheels.Once a speed 3 gets a proper exhaust,intake,and the usual bolt on's and a minor tune it is very productive.

Speed 3 is very well balanced onthe road and geared very well.and can easily get in the 400hp range with minor work.

I watched my friend pull up on another one of our friends at 70....the lead car was a slightly tuned WRX....when the WRX pulled away the speed 3 was right on his butt and had to let off and drop back or drive over it.....they are nice cars.....and yes they were on a track.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I went on a ride in a white MS3 that one of my co-workers just got (since his xA was totalled - other party's fault) and all I could say was "Holy Shyt!!!"

Jealousy reared it's ugly head...

I'm thinkin' turbo is in the cards soon...
Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare

honestly this is messing me up. i need help on my question!
a pic of this "ride" would help too
Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 AM
SL Member

lol ya thanks guys. all good advices.

and for the shelby gt. he's got 20in rims lol. and a full system with dynamat and everything to weigh it down even more. hahaha. just likes to show off his car with sound and not what the car was made for. I always tell him how stupid he is for doing it but its his car and he can do whatever he wants. I'll try to get some pics.

Whats a good upgrade to put on thats cheap for handling. rear sway? I have a front strut bar already.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i owned 2 mazdasped 3 before my tc.... everything is great on the car besides the tranny mount breaking..... great power i ran a 13.87 stock in a quarter
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and for the shelby gt. he's got 20in rims lol. and a full system with dynamat and everything to weigh it down even more. hahaha. just likes to show off his car with sound and not what the car was made for. I always tell him how stupid he is for doing it but its his car and he can do whatever he wants. I'll try to get some pics.

Whats a good upgrade to put on thats cheap for handling. rear sway? I have a front strut bar already.
rear sway is probably the most worthy suspension upgrade.

trd sway=good difference
progress=even less body roll
hotchkis f/r sway= even less body roll, mostly for track but is streetable

i have the trd sway now im ready for endlinks then coilovers.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

honestly this is messing me up. i need help on my question!
a pic of this "ride" would help too

lol what do you mean? my friend has a 06 mustang gt on 20's and it looks nice, it fits the car.. let me find a picture and thread jack for a second..
Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

the picture doesnt do it justice, and it looks different now, got ride of the amber, lowered a little and different antenna etc

but it looks good to me
Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

what year mustang does your friend have? lol

Quick Reply: scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3