Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hell i disagree... turbo ur tc dude..i was just like you.. but my passion has always been cars and doing work on them. i got my tc and realized how slow i was lmao.. turbo'd it for the heck of it. (im 19 now but got turbo when 1. i do rolls with ppl all the time no lie, a street race does prove something.. whos car is faster. and the look on peoples faces when they lose to a tc is priceless. especially the rich kids in there m3's. but once u go turbo, it doesnt stop.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
You've got to recenter on what's important... getting a turbo kit so you can street race, and potentially end up like your Lexus friend is NOT important. Even with a turbo kit, you still drive a tc, and they still drive a car MUCH nicer than yours.

Your friends are lucky, sure. But the things is, there is NOTHING like EARNING your car.

BE PATIENT. Good things will come, and you'll appreciate the fact you didn't have the badass car right out. You've already got a fun ride (plenty of 17 year olds with 8 year old corollas)... but keep things in perspective. I drove a hand-me-down toyota avalon when I was 17, and I felt lucky to have that granny car.

In fact, if you start autocrossing, you'll find it's easier to push the tC to it's limit... than it is to successfully reach the limits of an Evo, etc.... and be able to recover and push forward. With a shelby, once that back end gets out of your control, it's totally game over.

You'll grow out of street racing, just don't kill yourself first
Yup listen to this guy. I used to street race back when I was 16-17. I ended up paying over 3g's in tickets and fines. I was stupid, drove like an ___ clown, ragged on my car so much that it was always breaking. Because of that I lost my license my senior year which was the worst thing ever. Since then I bought my Tc and have been auto xing for a year now. Its fantastic, just imagine that adrenaline rush you get from street racing but lasting a whole lot longer.

The Mazda Speed 3 is an awesome car, and a much better car than the Tc is. It has a gobs of torque and an LSD which helps you put it down. The suspension is tuned great (OEM Bilsteins ftw) and it stops on the dime. My friend owns one, a GT Spec Package to be specific and he Auto X's his with me. Definitely a fun car to drive.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDChargedtC
i owned 2 mazdasped 3 before my tc.... everything is great on the car besides the tranny mount breaking..... great power i ran a 13.87 stock in a quarter
How the heck did you own 2 mazdaspeed3's already? They have been out what like 1.5-2yrs now.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by datdude1119

the picture doesnt do it justice, and it looks different now, got ride of the amber, lowered a little and different antenna etc

but it looks good to me
why did you say Shelby GT350? you scared the hell out of me. i was about to fly over and hit someone for putting 20's on a Shelby GT350. looks like a regular GT to me.

the Shelby GT's have a stripe on them. and their is no "350" on them anywhere.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 AM
SL Member

lol, its a 07 shelby gt350
Old 11-09-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly it looks nothign like the shelby gt350 package. But looks can be decieving.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 AM
SL Member

guys. i didn't put that picture up. lol. My friend has a black w/ silver stripes 07 shelby gt with black rims with chrome lip. 20in rims. =)

when I get a pic of his car ill put it up.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Your right you didnt. Damn imposters. Somebody gonna make the broccoli smack a biscuit. ROFL
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont worry man its all good just wait till later and make more money i hate those spoiled rich kids too and i hate it when they when look down on people that actually PAY for their rides and not powered by moms and dads.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

LOLL i never said my friends was a shelby.. i said my friend has a regular gt with 20's and it looks fine.. buttt my friend is getting the supercharger. so it will basically be a shelby haha
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by datdude1119
Originally Posted by firesquare
Originally Posted by firesquare
im more worried about the mustang on 20's what year is it and why 20's?

this doesn't make sense to me (muscle car guy here)
honestly this is messing me up. i need help on my question!
a pic of this "ride" would help too

lol what do you mean? my friend has a 06 mustang gt on 20's and it looks nice, it fits the car.. let me find a picture and thread jack for a second..
This is why i posted a picture
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
i do rolls with ppl all the time no lie, a street race does prove something.. whos car is faster.

Also, that's a good looking Mustang GT. Not a Shelby, though, so I'm confused at the OP.

Why don't you save up and trade in your tC for an MS3?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've raped 3 Speed3's so far.. and they were all "modded" in some way or another.

That car has lots of potential - but so does ours. The only advantage they have is already having a stronger motor for more boost... but most Speed3 guys don't put too much money into their cars (ie: larger turbo, better fuel management, etc).

I have a basic Turbonetics Kit. Click my "Powered by Turbonetics" in my sig to see the setup.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220303168675

does that seem like a good kit to buy?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the bidding is closed. But there was a reserve and biddign started at 2500. It couldve been a good deal possibly depending on where the reserve was and how many miles and or problems were on the kit.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

it had a 3000 reserve.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
hell i disagree... turbo ur tc dude..i was just like you.. but my passion has always been cars and doing work on them. i got my tc and realized how slow i was lmao.. turbo'd it for the heck of it. (im 19 now but got turbo when 1. i do rolls with ppl all the time no lie, a street race does prove something.. whos car is faster. and the look on peoples faces when they lose to a tc is priceless. especially the rich kids in there m3's. but once u go turbo, it doesnt stop.
You will feel differently when you're older.... or, when you end up in any combination of the following:

1) Dead
2) Walking b/c your car was impounded
3) Walking b/c your license was suspended for a year or more.
4) Thousands of dollars in the hole from wrecking your investment.
5) Thousands of dollars in the hole from fines and attorney's fees
6) Sitting in jail for second degree manslaughter because you rammed into innocent traffic, OR, because you hit a tree and killed your passenger.

etc. etc.

If you want to intelligently see who's car is better, you will:

1) Do it as safely as possible.
2) Do it in controlled conditions, so you cant blame your loss on a pothole.
3) Do it where you don't have to worry about legal issues.
4) Do it where you can get a better analysis of the race itself, on a timeslip.
5) Do it where friends can watch from the grandstands.
6) Do it where your tires can benefit from VHT, instead of throwing rocks around.

etc. etc.

--------- Now, to get back on topic -------------

If you turbo your car because you've got a massive chip on your shoulder, got something to prove, or are trying to compensate for some sort of "wealth insecurity".. then you will never be happy. I like to compare it to mid-life crisis, just having it at 20 years old. If you turbo it because you want to learn, or you're involved in actual sanctioned racing or shows, then the situation is completely different.

Wise man once said... "If you've got enough money to turbo, you've got enough money to replace your engine." If you've got enough money to replace your car after you destroy it (because insurance won't), then by all means, have fun!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
You're 17.

Wait. Enjoy your car for what it is. Get into college, get a degree, make lots of money...

Then buy an STi.

People who throw turbo kits onto their cars have a LOT more money and resources than a typical 17 year old. I'm sorry, but chances are, you're just not in the position to do all these things with your vehicle.

Don't worry, your time will come
sorry but i have to call you out on that, you could always have the "mommy/daddy" mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9g6b7IJVY
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted to get an MS3 for the longest time. Then I saw a dyno run of it. 15 psi and 220 whp. I was VERY disappointed.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 AM
SL Member

guys I'm getting all good responses whether to get turbo or not. I guess its just up to me to decide. I won't be an idiot driving around. Thinking about doing autox. Where and What should i do my car to make it the best in handling and speed? hotchkis sway or progress sway in terms of street n track? and turbo kit. Dezod or TT or Turbonetics?

Quick Reply: scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3