Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
I wanted to get an MS3 for the longest time. Then I saw a dyno run of it. 15 psi and 220 whp. I was VERY disappointed.
That would be about right for an inertia dyno, and nothing to be ashamed of. A stock tC on the same dyno would run 130s, at best.

Must remember that dynojets read much higher, due to an adjustable, arbitrary "factor" that the user can adjust as they see fit.

Also, remember that comparing dyno numbers in different cities, with different dyno manufacturers, and different times of the year can vary WIDELY and should not be used for comparison. The proper use of a dyno is a before/after on the same car, preferably in a single day, after some changes have been applied.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but still. 15 psi and what? 268 at the crank. That doesn't sound weak to you?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 6-speed pushing 263/280? Doesn't sound weak, that sounds about the limit for a FWD on RE050A's. It can run 13's and push 0.9g on the skidpad with some minor modding.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are torque monsters I love them
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds normal.

EVOs, depending on model, typically run 19psi, tapers to 17/16 -- and make up to 280ish hp, depending on model.

02-05 WRX -- 13.5 PSI (22x hp models)

And there are tons of other examples... stock SRT-4's run about 11ish psi, etc. etc.

But the original comparison isn't fair since we're comparing stock, low-compression motors to aftermarket-managed, NA-level compression motors. It's all in the tuning... factories tune for 100k miles, but your off the shelf turbo kit tunes for best power-per-psi.

Seems like a waste, sure... but if you start turning up the boost, a scion or otherwise NA-converted-turbo would go nuclear FAR before one of these factory turbos would.

In the end, it's apples/oranges.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Compared to what? You can't compare to a car with just a similar pressure output, because that car probably has a different size turbo that moves different airflow numbers.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk. but for example a tc could push close to 300whp at like 8.5. I'm just kinda baffled that the MS3 pushes 268 at the crank with almost double the PSI.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1440552

Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ I understand that. Idk. I was just kinda disappointed.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still don't understand why. It makes almost as much power as an Evo 9 (and will with some mild exhaust work). It has a limited slip. It comes with nice Potenza's. It puts up great stock numbers.

What's so disappointing about it?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
I still don't understand why. It makes almost as much power as an Evo 9 (and will with some mild exhaust work). It has a limited slip. It comes with nice Potenza's. It puts up great stock numbers.

What's so disappointing about it?
the only thing disapointing to me about it is that i dont own one
Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know somethng? given all the inaccuracies with dynos, maybe we should relegate them to being strictly engine tuning tools and use a more consistent measure of vehicle performance? something like kN of force.

this way, all you really need to know is how quickly your engine can spin up the tire/rim combo to max rpm in a given gear. of course under real world conditions this number would be lower due to traction and vehicle mass issues, but it would certainly be consistent.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I say we measure power in hwp. Hamster wheel power!!

MS3's are sweet!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shaka_Z
you know somethng? given all the inaccuracies with dynos, maybe we should relegate them to being strictly engine tuning tools and use a more consistent measure of vehicle performance? something like kN of force.

this way, all you really need to know is how quickly your engine can spin up the tire/rim combo to max rpm in a given gear. of course under real world conditions this number would be lower due to traction and vehicle mass issues, but it would certainly be consistent.

But then, how would ricers say their intake is better than the other? How would they bench race 2 cars over 800 miles away? How could they justify pulling imaginary numbers out of their **** and claim their cars make 15 more HP due to the intake?

Such logic destroys the natural order of idiocracy. We can't have it!

Inertia-based dynos are becoming more common, and are much more useful, if trying to accomplish some sort of one-run-estimate... in order to compare vehicles one after another, such as in a dyno day.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ms3's are nice and fast

check the sig for some races against the tC
Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 PM
SL Member

Unless your parents can bail you out money wise, with no questions asked I would not do it. I used to race in high school but where I am from something like a tc in any form wouldn't compete. Most of the guys were running around with 500hp v8 mustangs and DSMs. The most valuable thing I learned is to not seriously mod a car you cannot afford to fix when stuff breaks. Especially with college coming up you may want to rethink your plan. All through high school I drained my money on my 1983 Camaro(yes the ones with the mullet mobile stigma). The body was immaculate but the engine left much to be desired. I built a 355, then that wasn't enough I rebuilt it as a 383 with forged internals and AFR heads. Then when 12's wasn't enough I saved up and got a ATI procharger. I was 18 running around with a 600hp Camaro. By the end of the summer before College I had blown up the motor. Everything was done right, but stuff just happens when you abuse your car all the time with big power mods. Well, I was SOL and had to go through my first 2 years of college with no car. Eventually I got scholarships got a $2000 Jeep Cherokee. Then I started doing engineering internships and can finally afford a car that does not break down every 2 weeks. I now have my tc and couldn't be happier at the moment. I still have the Camaro. As you can see it now supports a 350 goodwrench stock crate motor with about 200hp. My dad bought it for me because he was sad to see the car sit in the garage for those years.

I think what I am trying to say is just be careful with what you think you want, because it may not be what you want at all.

P.S. for the price of a turbo kit you can buy an older performance car and make it just as fast without risk to your DD. Those rich kids will feel much worse if they lose to a rusty DSM or something
Old 11-28-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally purchased my turbo kit about a couple months after I turned 19. Great investment for the car, but not a great investment when it comes to personal income. I recommend doing a lot of research before turbo'ing the car. My original budget to turbo the car with the Greddy Bolt On Turbo Kit was $4,000 and I ended up putting $6,000 to get it running how I wanted it.

As bennyboopy mentioned above, the more mods you do, the more expensive it gets, as well as stuff seems to always come up that you have to fix later down the road. So far within the year of my car being turbo'd, I've had to replace my clutch and flywheel, my throwout bearing is bad after 6 months of replacing the clutch, i've had my radiator hose get cut because replacing my crank pully something went wrong when I was driving and hit a massive pothole. Those are just a couple of things I've had to fix. Nothing major at the moment, but I know that I always have to have a backup plan if something does come up, which usually involves money.

Good luck on the journey of making the car faster!!!! It's a lot of fun being able to keep up with some STI's & EVO's.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 AM

Default mazda

I think the mazda may have more potential
Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: mazda

Originally Posted by s4bones
I think the mazda may have more potential
why
we have the larger motor
everything the mazda has can be put on the tC for less than the cost of the ms3 itself
only thing it really has going for it is its 1st and 2nd gear boost limiter thingy and its a six speed

all cars can be fast with the right amount of money
but the tC can be faster than the MS3 with less money
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ true.. and that considering you got the right people and right parts to work on the car..

Quick Reply: scion tc vs. mazdaspeed3