Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

SERIOUS exhaust folly! Suggestions? UPDATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SERIOUS exhaust folly! Suggestions? UPDATED!!!

Ok, so against my better judgement and what everyone had talked about on here, I installed a Megan racing header, downpipe, and mid-pipe with my TRD exhaust. I thought an AR25 resonator would be enough to cut down the rasp but I see (hear) now that it is not.

I have the AR25 welded between the two resonators already in the Megan mid-pipe so I am running the big one and the small one that the Megan come with, plus my AR25.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to help my TRD exhaust? I loved the way it sounded with factory header-back equipment, but if it can not be helped I will go ahead and buy a different one.

I have a friend who will sell me a Greddy Evo 2 for cheap. Will that exhaust sound good with my current setup?

Any help is VERY welcome (and much appreciated), even flame if you wish, but please tell me where I went wrong...
Old 03-21-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you would have to put on bigger resonators on the mid-pipe, or replace the trd exhaust with the precision muffler exhaust, which is better at supressing sound.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

correct me if im wrong but from what ive seen the ar25 is fairly large as is(meaning i havnt seen larger as of yet).Devin do you have a sound clip?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will go get one in a couple minutes and post it on youtube. Gimme like 10 minutes.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Took a while to reset youtube password here is the car at a casual take off from a second gear roll. I gave it no extra gas, but between 2500 and 3000 RPM it acts like im gouging the pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7zxIb-T20
Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the WOT pull but you really cant hear half the rasp in this clip... It is deafening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-MIRHYvKVg
Old 03-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Banned
SL Member

DAMN!!! That's loud. It may be the video, but it sounds louder than my Megan Exhaust setup from the header back. And I have the drift spec. I'm planning on getting the OE-RS, but if it's gonna sound the same, then there is no point.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
DAMN!!! That's loud. It may be the video, but it sounds louder than my Megan Exhaust setup from the header back. And I have the drift spec. I'm planning on getting the OE-RS, but if it's gonna sound the same, then there is no point.
You have no idea, man. This damn thing is rediculous! We had it in an open parking lot about 75 feet away from a cinderblock building today with a buddy of mine getting on it a bit and it was echoing off of everything. It is miserably loud.

What is really strange is that at just over 70 mph and cruising it makes almost NO sound whatsoever, not even a drone. But if the throttle fluctuates any little bit its rasp city...

I think I will try to just remove the axleback and see if that helps... straight mid-pipe cant possibly be worse...

EDIT: btw, it is a fair bit louder than the video, especially outside the car. RoyalKustomsXB (Robert) heard it at a small meet we had tonight in Knoxville.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ok... ill just say from expierence from running all three exhausts on the megan set up.... the drift spec is hella loud and sounds just like what your vids sounded like... the oe-rs is not as loud but raspier around 2500-2700 rpm then again at 3500-4000... and the trd sounded horrible on the outside and sorta how yours sounds on the inside... my friends always said it sounded like they were being attacked by a fighter plane and a motorcycle... the resonator imo wont help much with the oe-rs and trd just from my expierences... but thinking of trying it with the drift spec if i can deal with the interior noise... gl tho man, i feel your pain, really i do.... i went thru 6 exhausts and still looking for more til i find the right combo....
Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

i have the Drift Spec and that bad boy is loud. But I'm planning to switch to the OE-RS. But I have a header and no resonator. I'm doing it mainly for the look factor. Cops tend to pull over the slanted look over the OEM style...
Old 03-21-2008, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i know what you mean, but thats why i love the cops in my town, most of them know not to touch my car... gotta love professional courtesy... but the drift spec was so loud on the inside i couldnt even have a convo... the oe-rs without a resonator is just flat out raspy... high pitched tin sound
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

my exhaust sounded almost exactly the same, so i just droped the header for now until I can get the ar25 but if its going to sound like that maybe ill look into something else.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vibrant hi-flow cat replacing the first megan "resonator" or precision muffler axleback will solve your problems.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will the precision muffler make it sound good or just shut it up? I would like an aggressive sounding exhaust like the TRD but when the volume went up, here came the rasp.

A high flow cat in the place of that 24ish inch resonator will make the TRD sound good with the rest of my setup? Or will I be better off with the Evo 2? It seems to be a quiet muffler.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

search precision muffler on youtube, it sounds sweet with a header.

the evo2 is probably the worst sounding exaust on a tc with a header.

I have a vibrant cat on my skunk2 exhaust with dme header and jvt s-pipe and there is no rasp at all. just a higher tone than without the header.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take the headers off, thats your problem, its not worth the minimal gains you get from it. i have the drift spec and its not nearly as loud as you guys make it seem, with headers everything is loud no matter what the combo. Its not nearly worth the money you need to put in it to make it sound good cause you get like what 4 hp from a header??
Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really would like to keep from spending another $400+ to fix what I have already invested well over $1K into. If a high flow cat will really kill the rasp, then I could try that.

I decided to open up the exhaust to work better with my nitrous. I had to do a downpipe for the wideband anyway, so I figured, why not the rest.

I think having already invested as much as I have it would be more cost-effective to move forward to make the header work with my setup.

Also, the header is not braced by the bracket that the stock manifold had, it would not fit, someone told me that may be causing a lot of the raspy "rattle-ness."
Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM

I can offer you the 7inch round PrecisionMuffler.com axle back. The 7inch round muffler set-up should be enough to quiet down that sound you got going on there. It is the same cost as our regular 6inch round axle back but larger and still has a straight through set-up for max flow. You can purchase the regular axle back online and then email us that you want the 7inch round. We will gladly make you one and ship it out asap. :D

Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm getting rid of my Megan header because it sounds like poo, even with the hi-flow cat and Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonator. A friend has a DC Sports header with a Magnaflow resonator and TRD axleback with no rasp.

I'm going back to a stock header, but may get a different header later.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will have my car in the shop all day tomorrow putting in my nitrous kit and it will be quick and easy to swap back my factory axleback, and try my buddies Greddy Evo 2. If neither of those sound decent with my setup I will yank that header out.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS exhaust folly! Suggestions? UPDATED!!!