Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Shifting is very slow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Shifting is very slow!!!

Hello, I just purchased a 2007 TC and I have a question about the manual transmission. I am an experienced stick driver, but not very technical in terms of how I am going to describe this, but here goes...

When shifting, as I step on the clutch, I notice the RPMs raise and there is a delay before I am in the next gear. It isn't a transmission problem or anything, it just seems like the clutch and shifting are too slow. Why do the RPMs raise a tiny bit when I step on the clutch? What can be done to address this?

Thanks so much for any help. And please remember, I am not very technical on cars so a simplified answer would be fantastic!!! Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:25 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

combination of throttle lag from the drive-by-wire and the hydraulic clutch.. it seems... or just the lag...

you can't really do anything but get used to it... i have and i'm fine driving it now.

yea..... it's weird... i know... but you'll get used to it.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default 07' scion tc transmition

Guy's is crazybut i have the same question???? why the rpm are going down so slow???? i have the same tc07' with injen cols air intake and sp2 greddy exaust.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as sqallLheart says, try to get used to it. I'm coming from driving a few Honda's but now I find myself shifting slowly and in a very "lazy" way. Some also say it's due to components in the drivetrain that are heavy (ie: flywheel).
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Short throw shifter will help you get used to the lag a bit faster. You'll be able to shift a little quicker taking up most of the lag before the rpms drop. Helped me.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STS will help you shift faster, but doesnt help the RPMs come down faster.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the point. The faster they drop, the more of a jolt you get in the next gear. If you can keep your rpms high, you'll catch the next gear in a high revolution making it smoother and a more positive shift.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only reason causing the rpm to drop slowly is the rotational mass of the internals. Some cars have heavier flywheels and other rotating components than others. A lightweight flywheel should eliminate this (but also hurt you a little on launch). I personally cannot see why the rpms dropping more slowly would make it harder to shift. But in either case you should be able to adapt quickly. After about an hour, the limiting point to how fast I could shift the tC was the throw. I can easilly shift it as fast as I can move the shifter with no issues, you just have to adapt to the car you are driving.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:01 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Agreed.

If you can get the shift down to only pushing the clutch about 3 inches to disengage and re-engage the clutch while shifting, your shifts will be quick and you'll only lose about 500 rpms in the gap. Not to mention, double clutching while downshifting helps keep you gears engaging smoothly and positively without a huge jolt.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for the response everybody. its not that i am having trouble driving the car, it is a very easy stick shift to drive, but i find it annoying. i dont like the sound of the rpms rising so much when i hit the clutch. im not into racing or anything like that, i just dont like it.

i guess i will get used to it, but i wanted to hear everybody's thoughts.

thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RPMs shouldn't raise any when you push in the clutch unless you're dragging your foot on the gas. Try letting off the gas a bit earlier than usual and then hitting the clutch and shifting.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ I know exactly what he is talking about. I have the same thing, when I accelerate and go to shift, when I put the clutch in the engine keeps accelerating making this very unnecesary sound.

After the third day of driving I realized it was timing the gas to the clutch. It not only delays to rev up but it delays to rev down, meaning if your accelerating and push the clutch in the engine will still accelerate, and with its slow moving internals etc., I found that I had to push the clutch in later than I would have normally or let the gas off sooner.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my solution is to let off the gas first...and THEN push the clutch pedal...not doing it at the same time
see what i mean?
try it out it works for me
of course doesnt make the car any faster but it wont have that rpm raise like you said
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

thanks, i will try changing my timing between letting off the gas and stepping on the clutch. ill let you know how it goes. again, i am a pretty experienced stick driver, but i have never seen this before with any of my previous cars. thanks again everybody.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NP, have fun
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you just need to get used to another kind of car. i dont think the sh ifts are slow at all if you know how to work it right.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rpms rise when you push the clutch in is because you took the strain off the engine quickly and the heavy flywheel is carrying some of the momentum from when you accelerated.
so you can just do
Originally Posted by InfideL
my solution is to let off the gas first...and THEN push the clutch pedal...not doing it at the same time
or drive granny style like me with everybody behind me changing lanes lol
Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member

When I want a smoother ride (Or when my girl isn't complaining of motion sickness)

(going to explain this the best I can)

As I am about to shift, I keep my foot on the gas just a tad bit, so when the clutch disengages, the RPM's slightly shoot upward, which by the time they fall back, I am already in my next gear.

ex.

Shifting at 4k, RPMS shoot to 4500, when I complete the shift, its back at 4k.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly. Smoother shifting occurs when you're at higher rpms b/c the engine rpms are more closely matched to the gears and you don't have to worry about the synchros taking the brunt of the shift and jolting you. Also, when she's sick (i know this b/c my gf has a broken tailbone)..........I double clutch upshifting sometimes as well. It's a downshifting technique but helps in smoother upshifts as well.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all these methods probably do lead to a smoother ride, but still depends on how the clutch is engaged. IMO, to get the tC to be smooth, you'll need to drive gingerly.
So, higher RPMs make for a smoother ride? But it also has to be closely matched. It helps that the tC has fairly close ratios or else this RPM hanging around would not help!

Quick Reply: Shifting is very slow!!!