Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Shifting is very slow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Persocon
the rpms rise when you push the clutch in is because you took the strain off the engine quickly and the heavy flywheel is carrying some of the momentum from when you accelerated.
so you can just do
Originally Posted by InfideL
my solution is to let off the gas first...and THEN push the clutch pedal...not doing it at the same time
or drive granny style like me with everybody behind me changing lanes lol
One correction though, rpms do not rise when clutching due to the flywheel weight. That is against all laws of physics. They tend to stay the same, but not rise. Unless there is something physically acclerating the engine (combustion) the engine speed will tend to stay the same (due to the rotational mass) and then begin to decay. It is the same misconception that people use that if you accelerate very rapidly (like in a drag race) and push in the clutch, the car continues to accelerate for a second. That is physically impossible and does not occur. Inertia describes static properties (constant speed, whether it be 0 or any other static value) not constant acceleration. Accleration stops the instant you stop applying force to create it.

If the rpm is rising when you press in the clutch, it is due to one of the following:

1) The acclerator was still partially depressed at the time the clutch was disengaged

2) The idle air control system (which on this car is controlled through the throttle by wire actuator if I am not mistaken, not a separate solenoid like cable type systems use) is preventing the idle from dropping as quickly as you expect.