Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Should I replace some part in the engine? (advice & Ideas welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Question Should I replace some part in the engine? (advice & Ideas welcome)

Hey everyone, so right now I am saving some money to do some mods to the interior but I still want to keep my engine in good shape. I have no engine mods @ all yet but I was wondering something.

I don't know all to much about engines it's reseraching, asking and reviewing that leads me to certain mods but I have never seen anyone talk about the health of the engine.

1: If I change out the spark plugs in the car, does this help @ all?
2: If I change the oil filter to a filter that only take synthetic oil will this be better for the car?
3: I am thinking about replacing the car air filter but what is the difference in replacing this and getting a ait intake? I know dumb question but don't know or should I just do both?

I am wondering what else I could possibly do that will help the health of the engine maybe change something out, replace a piece for a better aftermarket, the car is not giving me any problems at all just want to do some changes if they are worth it

by the way the car is a 07 TC with 77k miles on it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

1. Some difference due to being at 77k miles. Factory one's are rated for 100k, but if you got the money laying around, might as well. Use factory number denso or ngk at any auto-parts.

2. Oil filter difference is only related to filtration count and/or how long you want to do the oil change intervals. Ex. Purolator pure one could easily take you 5-7k without problems, is a good cheap filter and could be used with a decent conventional oil or synthetic like Pennzoil ultra, Castrol edge, Amsoil OE, etc. In the other hand you could use a mobil one filter, amsoil Eoa filter, etc and do 10k+ miles and have awesome filtration. But, are you willing to do long intervals or past 5-7k? Also for such long intervals, you are going to need an oil designed for that, ex Mobil one 15k/extended performance, amsoil xl or signature series etc. Regardless, there is no such thing as filter for synthetic oil only.

3. Cold air intakes do give a some extra horses and a cool growling sound. It's not like you'll be able to cut down huge numbers at the 1/4 mile, it all up to you.

If it is auto, give it a tranny oil flush and replace it's filter. Also use the type IV oil it recommends. Bleed the brake system if you can, should be done once a year anyways but no one does it. I'll type more as I remember, but don't forget that there's a pretty little manual inside the glove compartment (mine does) that shows you in detail at what milage certain things need to be serviced and/or replaced.
If you don't have one got to: http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/2005..._scion_SMG.pdf

Last edited by Carlanga; 11-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rule number one I am taking you old school mechanics way of doing things if it aint broke to dont fix it!!!
rule 2 spark plugs are a must pending on which ones you go with regular copper types every 50k or so.
belts every 75-85k is trans fluid every (75k ish or earlier!!!)
engine stuff i gotta look to see if its timing belt or chain but either or i am beign told to change it right about nowish 106K
air intake to be quite honest with you just get a KnN filter for your stock box that you dont ever have to change again just every 2-3 changes re oil the filter and clean it!!!
take it from me if you put a CAI in your vehicle you will loose mileage Take it from someone who has had one in and out of his car and it does depend on which company CAI you go with.
if your using Synthetic oil in your car like me I am also using same i use Castrol Edge or Syntec my personal preference with no less than a FRAM TG or PureOne oil filter may use when have the cash Mobile one Filter with mobile One Oil I like Castrol Synthetic or Mobile One Again Personal preference
Spark plugs what scion you have matters what plugs you use I have Toyota Plugs Why scimp on something that helps your engine but if your car requires Iridiums you can change those every roughly 100k but i like to change mine out every 30kish
any other questions feel free to write me call me or whatever for advice 571 575 1491 I also work in the auto industry just for your info. or email me at pseudotoad@yahoo.com
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I don't care for oiled air filters personally, I've seen maf sensors deteriorate way too quickly, because of improper oiling and they generally do not filter as efficiently. Stick with dry ones if you can, also +1 on the accessories belt. Inspect for cuts and wear, I replaced my wife's tC belt at 75k and it was still good, but it never hurts.

When was the last time you replaced the brake pads?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 AM

Wow, thanks for the info guys, great help. I will be doing most of this real soon next couple of days or so.

Brake pads, well I bought the car at 73k miles and I have yet to do anything, that is why I was asking so much because I figure already time for a oil change and my days off are coming up so might as well do some other things and I have yet to do anything to the brakes.... they arent making any noise or causing problems...should i be changing them?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do NOT use copper plugs.
Spend the money and buy Iridium and donut RIGHT.
Like some have said, be sure ALL your maintenances are up to date. It won't be cheap, but it's an investment in your car's future.
If you want a bit more pep, buy a NAME brand short intake. It's simple to install with basic tools. I personally trust Injen or AEM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by stclive
Wow, thanks for the info guys, great help. I will be doing most of this real soon next couple of days or so.

Brake pads, well I bought the car at 73k miles and I have yet to do anything, that is why I was asking so much because I figure already time for a oil change and my days off are coming up so might as well do some other things and I have yet to do anything to the brakes.... they arent making any noise or causing problems...should i be changing them?
only if they are close to the end of the wear markers, more than likely the one's in the front will be a lot lower than the back.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use synthetic oil on my car. I race my car, and it's inexpensive insurance.
On the cars that Scion specs synthetic, they have 10,000 mile oil change intervals. During race season, I change every 5000 miles. During the winter, I let it go a little longer.