Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

souping up an auto - tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by djct_watt
3. If you are equipped with the newer 5spd auto, you're in luck. . . and yes, a 4spd auto may have a more practical 1/4mi application, but when you are talking about the levels of power necessary to make less gears more effecient. . . I highly doubt the motor itself or the tranny would be able to withstand that much power.
There is no 5 spd auto transmission for the tC, that was infact a printing error by scion.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninjaKid
Originally Posted by Diluvium
the actual term is "SUPE" not "SOUP"

its SUPED UP , supeing
not SOUPED UP , souping

your car is not FOOD....

if it was actually spelled as soup then i might as well say "SHAKE AND BAKED UP!" or "SHAKING AND BAKING UP!"
*ahem*

from http://www.word-detective.com/071503.html

Dear Word Detective: I've long heard people talk about "souping up" their cars (i.e., tweaking the engine to make it more powerful). I always assumed that this was spelled "suping up," my understanding being that it indicated the car was being made "superior" or "more super" or something like that. Much to my chagrin, however, I've recently learned that I've been spelling it wrong all these years and that it is, in fact, spelled "souped" and not "suped." Well, fine. I don't have a problem acknowledging that I was wrong (although I do think my preferred spelling has a lot going for it). What I haven't been able to find out, however, is where the phrase actually comes from and what, if anything, it has to do with the old Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. -- Barry, via the internet.

I agree that your spelling "souping up" as "suping" makes a lot of sense, and you'll be glad to know that we have the origin of the term to back us up.

In the beginning there was "soup," the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom (yuk) kind, a word which we inherited from the French "soupe," which, like its English relative "sop," originally meant bread soaked in broth. Eventually the broth itself, often with bits of meat and vegetables, came to be known as "soup" in English.

Almost as soon as "soup" appeared on our menu, we began developing figurative meanings for the word, and "soup" has been used as slang for everything from fog to the ocean to a difficult situation ("In the soup"). One particularly interesting use in the context of your question, appearing around 1900, is "soup" as slang for nitroglycerine or other explosives.

"To soup" as a verb originally meant, not surprisingly, to provide someone with soup, but around 1931 "to soup up" appeared, meaning to modify the engine of an aircraft or motor vehicle to increase its power and speed. In part, this use may have been rooted in "soup" as 1930s slang for the stimulants sometimes injected into racehorses to make them run faster. But a more immediate source (and the reason your spelling makes more sense) was probably the fact that the preferred method of "souping up" an engine was to add a "supercharger," a device designed to force additional air into the cylinders and boost power. It is also possible that the simple adjective "super," as you guessed, may have figured into "souping up."
DO NOT DARE TO BANDY WORDS WITH ME, SIRRAH!

so we're both right. kinda. tomato, tomata.

the person who wrote that in the quote should literally go to google.com, search "suped up" and e-mail the web masters saying that they are spelling "souped" wrong...

check souped up on google and youll see nothing but cooking... lol
Old 07-28-2005, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you have a short shifter for an auto? saw off an inch off of that metal stick? lol..jus wonderin..
Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

You gotta shorten up the throws, ya know! Save a few tenths of a second when you shift from P to D.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
the person who wrote that in the quote should literally go to google.com, search "suped up" and e-mail the web masters saying that they are spelling "souped" wrong...

check souped up on google and youll see nothing but cooking... lol
yeah, but common usage of a word doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. for example, most people use the phrase "chomping at the bit" when the actual phrase is "CHAMPING at the bit". then again, a lot of the words that we use today had entirely different meanings as little as a century ago. over time, common usage can entirely change the meaning of words / phrases!

ok, NOW you can call me ****. i did write a college term paper on this, though.