Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ss clutch line!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ss clutch line!!

hey guys i have another question for ya i was woundering since i have the act heavy duty clutch would it be a good idea to put the steel braided clutch hose on it insted of the stock rubber one cause every once in a while the cars hard to shift an it like to grind once in awhile wen i go it to 3rd!!! cause i see dezod has one for like 36 bucks
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stiffer clutch will cause your oem brake line to expand .so yes steel line would defenetlly be the best way to go.. price between $35-$75
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I have an ACT HD clutch and had the same 3rd gear grind, initially I had swapped the tranny oil to a thick gl-5 75 5w-90. Once I made the change to Amsoil gl-4 75w-90, it was a complete different animal and so smooth. I noticed the grind was more common when cold. Is it the same for you? I have an ss clutch line laying around that never got installed, I wasn't impressed with the performance of the ss brake line. I wonder if it will really make a difference.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it started after i changed the fluid i put in amsoil gl-5 75-90 it never did it be for and before i chaged it the kid before me put atf fluid in it and there was only half a quart i orderd the ss clutch line from dezod this morning so hopefully that help o and yes it seams to be worse wen it cold like in the morning is that cause of the fluid or is it just do that wen its cold!!?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
I have an ss clutch line laying around that never got installed, I wasn't impressed with the performance of the ss brake line. I wonder if it will really make a difference.
You did not notice much difference in SS brake lines? Did you feel a difference at all? Was looking into these and have been curious.

Btw OP, I would suggest a new SS clutch line and did you replace the slave cylinder too? Just curious.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent put a new slave cylinder in it i bought the car this way so im just trying to upgrade it so it better!! lol should i change it!!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TotalChaos
You did not notice much difference in SS brake lines? Did you feel a difference at all? Was looking into these and have been curious.

Btw OP, I would suggest a new SS clutch line and did you replace the slave cylinder too? Just curious.
Just like you I was expecting a huge change, but it was just minimal. It could be because our lines are pretty short and don't have enough real-state for expansion. It's possible it could be different with the clutch line. She was design longer probably to prevent it from breaking, because of the engine rocking back and forward.

Spanky- bro we have identical background. When I installed the quaife lsd last year, I went ahead and put in some gl-5 amsoil ep 75w-110. Why 110? Because until about four years ago, 75w-90 used to cover oil thickness between low 10's to mid 20's centi strokes. Now the scale is divided between 75w90 low 10's to high 10's and 75w-110 high 10's to mid 20's.

Anyways I noticed that even when it wasn't cold, the car would grind 3rd. Decided to go with the thinner gl5 ep 75w-90, which made a bit of a difference, but the grind was still there. Tried one last time and went back to amsoil gl4 75w-90, which is what I had pre lsd and it fixed my problems. I never had a problem with it pre LSD with the gl4, I just tried the ep's because of the "protection" of extreme pressure additives. The thing is when I originally opened up the tranny to install the LSD, everything looked like new in there, so there was no reason to doubt the gl4's protection.

Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have to put a new throw out bearing in cause the guy be for me put the act on in and it has taken a crap all ready theres only about 10000 miles on the clutch if that it was put in the begining of summer so im just guna order the redline mt-90 gl4 stuff o and i need a new passanger side cv axle lol
Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

gl with the bearing, had the same experience with those low quality nsk stock imitation bearings. OEM is the best for that
Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea that what i was reading last night that the act one is junk cause mine whineing wen i push in the clutch this darn car is one problem after another!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kinda fluid should i put in it after changeing the line!
and dose it go in the brake master cylinder!