Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Stylis exhaust review and modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stylis exhaust review and modification

OK, the header back system is on. As far as Gabe's portion of it, I'd have to give it a 99%. Very nice system, all the peices were the right lengths etc. All around good deal.

Now... the 1% - and even that wont count for the vast majority. The system is bolt-on - which makes it easy for you DIY'ers out there. Me, I don't like bolt on. As said before, the last time I went halfway on anything was in the 10th grade and she got dumped for it. The system required some modifications to convert to a weld-on. If you don't have or have access to a muffle shop, there aint no way in hell you'll do the mods.

Gabe's got all the tubes so well size matched that they slip together TIGHTLY, so tight in fact you have to shave a metal burr if it gets in the way as it will interfere (this is GOOD.. for clamping). TIGHT = no exhaust leaks, which would be very annoying sounding. BUT, for the sake of WELDING, we had to flare all the expanded ends MORE on the pipe maching so there would be an air gap that we could run a good MIG bead inside of, that way we would have full weld penetration on both tubes and an air tight joint. We cut most of the inlet tube off the muffler and made for a short mounting point that would take a weld nice and not cause a lot of airflow distubance going into the muffler chamber.

The extended header spring bolts Gabe will send you... - REQUIRED. You must use them , do not lose them before you install them.

All his tubes were mandrel bent, so the corners had a nice smooth radius and weren't bunched up on the inside radius's. The crimp-bent tubes are the factory style with the accordian looking fat rolls on the inside edges of the corners. Those ripples cause A LOT of turbulance and exhaust interference. Gabe's exhaust has none of those in it.

Also - Gabe - you lost part of the 1% becuase when my pipes arrived they did not have the yellow racing strip spray painted on them - I PAID FOR THAT YOU BASTARD! I'll have to paint my own.

Problems that had nothing to do with Stylis' exhuast. The front O2 sensor did not have anti-seize compound on it and the threads completely stripped off once we managed to get that bastard out (with a freaking OA torch turning the O2 bung cherry hot). New O2 sensor, $125. We may be welding on a different mounting braket at the exhaust tip to 1. keep the exhaust system from bouncing (if that seems to happen at some time) and 2. to keep the tip for centered. The system weighs more than the stocker it replaced and therefore seems to shift a little - but that's to be expected, the stock system was feather lite and looked like Kate Moss on a diet - way to skinny.

Other 'problem' (that has nothing to do with header back part) is that the system sounds a little "buzzy" from around 2k-3k RPM, which I'd prefer it didn't, but kind of expected. Gabe even warned about it even though I expected it also. The buzzing really has a lot to do with that the system is attached to a DC Sports header and it has an open intake - the entire system pretty much breathes TOO WELL.

All in all A++. I'd buy it again - and will if we get rid of one of the other driveway toys and buy another.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:15 AM

I am glad you were happy with the system. I actually test fitted your system, before I sent it out. I just forgot to paint the stripe And I do tell everyone of the dangers of noise before I sell anything, so remember to head my word! :D OOO, Man. Who is next in line for the best system in the scion nation!! :D

Old 08-19-2004, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are the bends mandrel bent or hydraulic press? they look like hydraulic press, but it does look tight though. do you(stylis) make and or sell just the center section(between the axle and header) of the exhaust? if so how much? hope to see some pics of the install windowtint.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by _666_jesus_999_
do you(stylis) make and or sell just the center section(between the axle and header) of the exhaust? hope to see some pics of the install windowtint.
The center section is not for sale, you would have to buy the whole system if you want the center section. Sorry.

But yeah windowtint, where are the pics? :D

Old 08-19-2004, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
do you(stylis) make and or sell just the center section(between the axle and header) of the exhaust? hope to see some pics of the install windowtint.
The center section is not for sale, you would have to buy the whole system if you want the center section. Sorry.

sorry for asking.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for asking.
don't be, it never hurts to ask, as long as you've done a search and someone isn't waiting to use your computer and they're holding a baseball bat...

he can't sell the middle section only for warranty issues, if he doesn't know what's going on after the middle part, no idea if it may damage or be damaged by the axle back...
Old 08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fixA
sorry for asking.
don't be, it never hurts to ask, as long as you've done a search and someone isn't waiting to use your computer and they're holding a baseball bat...

he can't sell the middle section only for warranty issues, if he doesn't know what's going on after the middle part, no idea if it may damage or be damaged by the axle back...
thanks for the explanation thats all i needed to understand.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey STylis, I have an automatic and I would like to get an exhaust but I really don't want the ricey sound. Is there any exhaust systems out there that has a deep sound like american car would make.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by kidkamel
Hey Stylis, I have an automatic and I would like to get an exhaust but I really don't want the ricey sound. Is there any exhaust systems out there that has a deep sound like american car would make.
no import can have an american car rumble, but the manifold back system is great for a low rumble. Just remember that headers make everything loud, and if you don't want to get an exhaust system to that extreme. Might I suggest the PrecisionMuffler.com Auto Axle back for your pleasure. It is for sale at www.precisionmuffler.com Check it out today! :D

Old 08-20-2004, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL. The only pics I've ever taken with the xB were when it was brand new a few months ago and completely unmodified - not even the JDM fogs yet... I have THOSE on a picture host site, but problem is if I post the link, then ANYONE can rummage through the 20some other albums and see all kinds of pics of my kids, wife, pets, my houses, my cars, basically a lot of things I'd rather not. I hate that photo hoster but have to many pics on it to dump it now.

Believe it or not, I have not taken one single photo of any mods on the box.

I'll get around to it...
Old 08-20-2004, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by windowtint
LOL. The only pics I've ever taken with the xB were when it was brand new a few months ago and completely unmodified - not even the JDM fogs yet... I have THOSE on a picture host site, but problem is if I post the link, then ANYONE can rummage through the 20some other albums and see all kinds of pics of my kids, wife, pets, my houses, my cars, basically a lot of things I'd rather not. I hate that photo hoster but have to many pics on it to dump it now.

Believe it or not, I have not taken one single photo of any mods on the box.

I'll get around to it...
You should check out the photo booth forum for other photo websites to host your mod pics only. :D I know that we would want to see the mods on the list you got!

Old 08-20-2004, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Precision Muffler Manifold back too and I gotta say... that I should have listened to Gabe.

The power is there and it is worth it at highway speeds, but in the streets it's buzzy as hell due to the headers.

And who ever posted it, you're right, they are press bent, but it's not a sloppy job like I've seen done at other shops. I've actually sat next to Gabe and was a total pest while he hand fitted every single piece and inch of pipe for my box. I gotta say that this guy actually takes pride in the products that he puts his name on. And he pretty much knows what he's talking about when it comes to the axel and manifold back systems he sells.

Thanks for the system Gabe!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bB Local Boy
Thanks for the system Gabe!
Your welcome Chris, I am happy to hear that you love your system. :D