Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Supercharger or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Supercharger or Turbo

i was just wondering what do u guys thing since am making a final decision
eighter a supercharger or the turbo , if any 1 has 1 of those 2 on the car already how mutch boost is it pushing or how mutch do u think they will give u plz get back??
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

This seems to be the big question lately... It has me thinking twice myself...

TRD Supercharger: $2900 + labor
ZPI Stage 0 Turbo: $2800 + labor

Both pretty close... Stage 0 will make about 40whp more power than the supercharger.

Pulley kit, injector, air/fuel management will boost the TRD supercharger up to match the Stage 0 in peak power.

ZPI Stage 0 to Stage 1 upgrade to get intercooler, injector, emanage, boost increase... Not sure how much that will run.. but that will be a good 40-60whp increase in power.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZPI stage 1 or 2. Go for it.

Cya
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

t u r b o
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were to get one now I would choose the Supercharger for warranty. If I were to get turbo I would wait until the warranty runs out.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

S/C if you want you want your warranty....

TURBO if you get sick and tired of "ricers" laughing at you
Old 11-10-2005, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC

You obviously have never rode in a car with the TRD supercharger. All the ricers see is my taillights and my 4GETHNDA license plates. I say go with the supercharger you will not be sorry.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch

You obviously have never rode in a car with the TRD supercharger. All the ricers see is my taillights and my 4GETHNDA license plates. I say go with the supercharger you will not be sorry.
Ahem....do some research.....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91567

Old 11-10-2005, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so you drove a stock trd supercharged car woopty doo and you told the guy to with the turbo for the rice effect of saying I have a turbo with a bov lol. I will smoke any stage 0 kit out there right now hands down . I'm waiting for someone with a stage 0 turbo kit that will take me up on my race offer so I can finally put this debate to rest. If you want a turbo go with it but ill never give up my supercharger.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not bagging jimminie christmas! i wouldn't give up the S/C either......

to each their own!

noice tC by the way
Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so you drove a stock trd supercharged car woopty doo and you told the guy to with the turbo for the rice effect of saying I have a turbo with a bov lol. I will smoke any stage 0 kit out there right now hands down . I'm waiting for someone with a stage 0 turbo kit that will take me up on my race offer so I can finally put this debate to rest. If you want a turbo go with it but ill never give up my supercharger.
ZPI Stage 1, end of conversation as far as your arguement with trd s/c vs. turbo.

I'm glad you like the trd s/c, but i wouldn't waste my money on it. Its weak. And if you modify it than you loose what you wanted, a warranty. Besides, if its tuned correctly and you know you did everything right, or know the person(s) that worked on your car did it perfectly, then you have nothing to worry about.
Cya
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or of course he wanted a supercharger because he didn't want a turbocharger.. there's always that too..
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

but wont righter one of those void the warrenty?????
Old 11-10-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Turbo's are better for 4 cylinders because of how they produce the horsepower they are more efficent and it is a much better price Thanks the supercharger (IMO)
Turbonetics stage II all the way if you dont mind dropping 5.3g's
Old 11-10-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
ZPI Stage 1, end of conversation as far as your arguement with trd s/c vs. turbo.

I'm glad you like the trd s/c, but i wouldn't waste my money on it. Its weak. And if you modify it than you loose what you wanted, a warranty. Besides, if its tuned correctly and you know you did everything right, or know the person(s) that worked on your car did it perfectly, then you have nothing to worry about.
Cya
I don't care about a warranty that's not why I brought the supercharger sorry bro. I brought it because I wanted it. I also do my own work on my car. I don't need other people doing anything to my car. I've been in this high performance game for far too long. My car is a monster right now and it will only get better as I get more parts from my supplier. Like I said before if you want the turbo get it, but I will never put a turbo kit anywhere near my car. Superchargers rule when they see 10psi and better
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances

Cya
I don't care about a warranty that's not why I brought the supercharger sorry bro. I brought it because I wanted it. I also do my own work on my car. I don't need other people doing anything to my car. I've been in this high performance game for far too long. My car is a monster right now and it will only get better as I get more parts from my supplier. Like I said before if you want the turbo get it, but I will never put a turbo kit anywhere near my car. Superchargers rule when they see 10psi and better
As far as i know, you can get the ZPI kit without having them install it. People tend to go up there since they can get it installed faster vs. waiting in line. I'm not saying superchargers aren't great, i might be s/c'ing my box. But, when you want big numbers, turbos are going to be more effient and easier on the motor/tranny vs. superchargers. Which is why people tend to go turbo vs. super.

Cya
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Supercharger or Turbo

Originally Posted by Magic
i was just wondering what do u guys thing since am making a final decision
eighter a supercharger or the turbo , if any 1 has 1 of those 2 on the car already how mutch boost is it pushing or how mutch do u think they will give u plz get back??
The supercharger runs at 7 lbs. of boost, a supercharger can go past that pretty easily. the whole purpose of the supercharger is that it is under warranty and adds no real additional stress to the motor. Also a supercharger stops delivering power at the higher rpms while a turbo can just keep spooling, a turbo however, has lag time, but after the lag it takes off. and if you get a good turbo, the turbo should have a warranty, i think the ZPI racing turbo has a 5 year warranty on the turbo internals and what not, i think i would go with a turbo just because of the potential they have.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a great topic to debate, honestly i think it all comes down to preference. S/C or turbo, everyone has a different mindset for either of these.

Personally, I would go with a turbo, not because of the obviouse power gains (but is a major factor), but becuase of the wicked sound these things give off when spooling up. Tuned correctly, a turbo could spool up fast as hell.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo stage 1.. hands down..
i'd love to race your super tho munch, and see where everything stands.. im coming to NY this weekend, maybe we could meet somewhere and get her done..
Old 11-11-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcymarc
turbo stage 1.. hands down..
i'd love to race your super tho munch, and see where everything stands.. im coming to NY this weekend, maybe we could meet somewhere and get her done..
Guys....THAT would be a video that shuts down bandwidth for whoever hosts.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo