Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Supercharger or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Supercharger or Turbo

Originally Posted by natodog

The supercharger runs at 7 lbs. of boost, a supercharger can go past that pretty easily. the whole purpose of the supercharger is that it is under warranty and adds no real additional stress to the motor. Also a supercharger stops delivering power at the higher rpms while a turbo can just keep spooling, a turbo however, has lag time, but after the lag it takes off. and if you get a good turbo, the turbo should have a warranty, i think the ZPI racing turbo has a 5 year warranty on the turbo internals and what not, i think i would go with a turbo just because of the potential they have.
Adding a supercharger does in fact add a new stress to the motor. Aside from the excess air and the high temperature the engine will probably be running at, it is also another accessory for the accessory pulley to pull. Although, the amount of stress due to the supercharger on the engine from the pulley would amount to the amount of stress from running an extra airconditioning core.

Also, a turbo will reach max efficiency while a supercharger can make boost all the way up until redline. This is only if we're talking about the supercharger that is the TRD supercharger. After a while, the turbo will stop being able to make boost because the turbine will be spinning too fast possibly causing damage and excess heat and overall bad things. This is when the waste gate opens and a lot of potential boost is released either to the atmosphere or back into the exhaust stream. A supercharger like the Vortec we have doesn't need a waste gate (at least not yet) as it can handle easily up to 20 psi. A 16G in the stage 0 from ZPI however, probably won't be able to do 20 psi. And as the supercharger is capable of 20 psi, you're right, it can get a lot faster than stock.

I apologize for the nit-picking. It's a habit
Old 11-11-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcymarc
turbo stage 1.. hands down..
i'd love to race your super tho munch, and see where everything stands.. im coming to NY this weekend, maybe we could meet somewhere and get her done..
Let me know when you're in town and pm me. I would love to stomp all over that turbo kit Just remember it's a race so my slicks will be on my car at the time of the race
Old 11-11-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its cool reading everyones theory.
but talk is talk. i see a lot of geeks/honda tech guys yapping about what set-up is faster what parts are better.
take it to the track and race...take vids of it so people will know, show us your timeslips to compare

in the end both sides should just enjoy the boost and make their cars faster. we need to let everyone know that toyota still kicks 4SS
Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

munch; thats cool, im leaving tomorrow around noon, since im making a trip up there and wasnt planning on actually racing, im not gonna have my slicks on the car
but, i'd still like to race your setup. i got a stage 1 too, not a 0, so we'll see if you can keep up at top speeds
and i dont have a video cam, so if you wanna record, and post for the SL'ers that be cool.
by the way, how much hp's are you running at?[/quote]
Old 11-11-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SC VS turbo

I would vote for the SC for the following reasons.

1. Carb legal in 50 state (So Cal being the most inmportant..) Turbo's not legal.
2. Warranty kept
3. You can put a BOV on a charger.. for the nice sound you people are looking for.
4. You can adjust boost by changing pulley
5. Because I have a TRD charger already.

I think TRD did a great job with the kit. Well made and well thought out.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=GENbEu

Patrick David
AIT Racing.com
Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Side note: ^^^ Your name is awsome!!

Question, stage 2 turbo _typically_ runs at what psi? or does that really depend on the turbo setup?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Great thread on this sc / turbo stuff......
Old 11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've heard people mention that turbos are better for straight line and superchargers are better for things like Auto-X. Not saying that turbos can't Auto-X, it all depends on the setup. I wouldn't know since I've never taken my car to the track. Can someone (that actually knows) be so kind as to inform us why the turbo is better for drag and super better for Auto-X, or vice versa?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not that turbo is bad am not saying that but in the over all run the turbos is mutch greater to kill the engine then the super charger is and even with a super charger u are constantly putting boost to red line as of turbo it had lagg and bossts up to 5k rpm
Old 11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcymarc
by the way, how much hp's are you running at?
That I'm keeping a secret .I think I'll be at the track tomorrow running the car in the 1/4 mile if all goes well tonite with my latest install on the car. So I'll know exactly how fast it is. The unichip is a crazy mod for the money .