Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Switching Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Switching Over

I'm probably posting this in the wrong section. But i have been wanting to do this for a while. I have gotten my last complimentary oil change last month. Now i am wanting to use synthetic oil. I know it doesn't really give me any horse power. But it engines that run on synthetic oil run a lot smoother.

So my question is, what are some steps i should take to make this process a lot smoother?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Change oil. that is it. You can change back and forth between synth and dino at any time really. So on your next oil change, use synth and a good filter.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just find a good brand of oil and a good filter and go from there. Like engifineer said you can switch over at anytime and will be ok in doing so.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the process is that simple? I dont have to start using regular to sytec blend to synth? Just like that. Sounds so easy.

Has any one here on Scion Life switched over to synthetic oil?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

^^ Many have, including myself; I use Mobile 1.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I switched on the first oil change to Mobile 1. I have purchased a couple of used cars and switched over to synthetic at 70k - 100k before with no issues. All of my cas run Mobile1, so those I bought used all get switched. I have rebuilt engines in my own cars before, stuck some dino oil in first (due only to cost), ran it about 1000 miles and switched to synth and have never seen an issue. You are fine to switch with no extra steps.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just change the oil and filter, plain and simple.

I believe the story goes... In much older engines (60's and 70's), either you started with conventional or switched very early. This had to do with the older headgaskets actually using gummed-up dinosaur oil as part of the seal, whether by design or just a defect.

Whenever the user would switch to synthetic, it'd break up those seals, and BAM!, headgasket leak.

Absolutley not a concern with newer motors, though.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can some one give me any info on how to change the oil. I know how to change the oil. My question is like how many miles till my next change when i go synthetic. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

recommended is 5k.... synthetic will surely last that long, so dont worry about it
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is a GOOD oil filter? I am changing my oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic this weekend. I need to know what and where to get a good oil filter.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Any filter pretty much that doesn't say Fram on it. Fram filters are hands down the worst filters out there, do a google search on it. I would just buy a genuine toyota, but if you don't do that, stick to a purolator, mobil 1, or anything made by Wix.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much for a good oil filter, if price really does tell quality. I might just go with Mobil 1 since I'm using their oil.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I run a mobil 1 on my cummins turbo diesel and it runs me 9.99 at Checker (Kragen) Auto Parts, so I would imagine its $7 or less for a TC. You can order toyota filters at trdsparks for $3.xx per filter and I imagine they are under $10 at the dealer. If cost is a concern use any filter made by wix, the least expensive wix I know of is the supertech filters you buy at Walmart, they are about $2, and yes they are better than Fram.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

anyone know the diff b/w the genuine toyota filter and the TRD performance one? any significant diffrence?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've used AC Delco filters in the past. A few friends took a bunch of filters apart to look at the construction (I think we did Fram, Delco, Pennzoil, Wix, and Purolator). I'll definatly agree with staying away from Fram. The construction sucks. And I work for the parent company of Fram
Old 11-03-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The TRD high performance filter claims to trap more dirt, flow better, and handle higher pressures. However the TC 2.4 engine isn't going to produce high enough pressure to destroy an oil filter anyhow. As far as trapping dirt and flowing good, the filters I mentioned a couple posts back will all suffice.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! I just checked Sparks and the TRD High Flow Oil Filters cost $13.00 compared to the Toyota Oil Filters that cost $4.00. Why is there such a big gap in pricing? Is the TRD really that top notch of a product? I better be expecting maximum horsepower gain and increased everything under the hood...probably not, but why do you think the price is so high?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

cause its TRD. lol. and mind the similar products that TRD has to other products on the market, just labeled TRD. at least thats what i think
Old 11-03-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i recommend wix, but like everyone else said, stay away from Fram, absolutely crap filters
Old 11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TongMan
Wow! I just checked Sparks and the TRD High Flow Oil Filters cost $13.00 compared to the Toyota Oil Filters that cost $4.00. Why is there such a big gap in pricing? Is the TRD really that top notch of a product? I better be expecting maximum horsepower gain and increased everything under the hood...probably not, but why do you think the price is so high?
There's a supposed TRD frenzy, just like the "mugen" frenzy over at the honda boards. Slap a sticker on it, and there ya go.

Sometimes, name is more important to people than the product. Like jaguars. Nothing special about the car, other than the fact it's a jag.

The TRD filter might be a "better product," but honestly, genuine toyota filters are probably the best option for your car. You're welcome to spend your money as you see it, but it'll get really expensive in the long run for practically nothing.

Quick Reply: Switching Over