Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Taller 5th gear for the tC? Does one exist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STOP B!TCHIN ABOUT THE GEAR RATIOS
or trade your ish IN!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by FLINT
STOP B!TCHIN ABOUT THE GEAR RATIOS
or trade your ish IN!!!
^^ x2.. thank you...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow... I missed a few posts here and there... He actually took on Engifineer and is Saying all the research RAAMAudio and others have done into this modification is the result of naive idiocy...

It all comes down to those who know and those who don't know the realities of our Scions and Drivetrains and someone obviously have not put the study time into our setup... wow...

For the record I owned and modded a VW TDI and trust me... much different platform.... much different... Gosh.

Did you hear that Toyota controls the US Governments importing board and disallows imports of Diesel technology and Economy Gas Engines to promote their hybrid world domination? Me neither...

These threads only come so often....
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you wanted mileage then you should have gotten another car. If you really want to try and mod your car to get better mileage then go ahead but EVERY car that Toyota makes does not have to be optimized for highest MPG. If you don't like your tC get another car, as simple as that. Please do not come on here complaining about Toyota and saying they engineered the tC wrong when really they just set it up for a different market (guess what not every single 18-26 year old kid looking for a sporty car cares about gas mileage).
Old 08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive in 5th gear all the time and I can come to appreciate that it's not too low when cruising open streets or freeways.

If anyone is really that concerned with the RPMs, they can buy the auto tC. I had one, and it'll send the RPMs looooow. It makes speeding too comfortable. But amazingly, with a hint of sarcasm, gas mileage is the same on both cars. Hmm. Except my city mileage has risen from 22-23 to 26 on average with the 5-speed.

As it's been WELL concluded, quit griping.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Personally, I love the short gearing of the tC, especially at the strip. The gearing allows us to get a good jump on most other cars despite our relatively low horsepower cars. The 3k RPM's while driving down the highway isn't bad, you get used to it. I agree with engifineer, I too enjoy the fact that I don't have to downshift to keep the engine from bogging if I am going up a steep hill or want to pass. When you are in 5th at highway speeds and roll on the throttle, there is still power there. As was said before, if you don't like the snappiness off the line and slightly above normal cruising RPM's, get an auto or a different car.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
If they would have made it with taller gears, everyone would say "man this car accellerates weak!! like a camry!"
exactly.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they could fix all that with a 6th gear. i keep reaching for the shifter, wanting to upshift again, only to realize i'm already in 5th.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

^ Cha Ching..... All about cost... The R&D, Parts, and end cost wouldn't make it worth it for Scion... PLUS, people would then say you have to shift too much, as many 6 speeds are just pains to shift all the time.

If you want to pay.... ZPI is getting that 6 speed for you going here.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I dunno I can pull 33mpg on the higway with the AC on cruising at 80mph. So your gas statement should be taken away. Go buy another car if you feel like you are getting ____ty gas mileage. Quit trying to make a car into something different when it is not possible.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i wanna know how expensive that ZPI 6 speed is gonna be... and is that gonna be somethin that will be hard to install?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

I too would appreciate a 6th gear or a wider gear range. 1st is short for my taste, but then I admit I drive my Tc like a grandma.

Has anyone tried larger tires? I was thinking of purchasing Khumo ASX's 215/50R17 for my stock wheels when my Potenzas run out of tread (currently at 13k, and look to get atleast another 13k no problem).

I know the ASXs are suposed to have a softer sidewall than the stock Potenza RE92's, with the extra .5" sidewall of the 50's I'll probably lose some handling also. However, the overall circumference of the larger tires should result in ~ 4% increase in ratio to the road. I'm hoping to get better highway milage and also get a bit more life out of my tires as there are more options and many tires in the 50 series tend to have better wear ratings.

Anybody see any potential problems doing this? The Tc looks to have a larger than necessary wheel well opening so i don't expect the extra inch of diameter to be a problem, but I admit I'm no expert and do not know what adverse affects an raised ride height, increased tire weight, etc may have.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:37 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

anything over 3% difference in circumference will affect your ride.. not only to mention your odometer and speedometer being off in process