Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Engine Swap

With plenty of modification I think that it would be possible to fit a 3SGTE JDM 94-98 Celica engine w/ 5sp tranny into the tC.

3SGTE: Turbo and Intercooled

255 hp/6000rpm
225 tq/4000rpm

Have seen this swap for $1299

Someone that has a ton of cash just laying around should do it. You could easily do this for the price that Scionspeed.com is selling their Turbo kits for. And your reliability factor wouldnt take a %#$@.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tha would be cool, but why buy an 05 scion, for like 17000 then switch an egine out right away,, y not just mod the tc with stage two or 3 turbos
Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see the point of going to a smaller engine just because it can be done. With forged internals, the 2AZ would be a workhorse under moderate amounts of boost probably easily surpassing the power potential of the 3SGTE. A 5-speed <-> 6-speed swap (Celica GT-S) would be more interesting to me.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's not the point, there are always places that do insane crazy swaps on brand new cars, it's no different than Signal Auto Salon taking a Brand new 350z and slapping a old SR20DET out of a silvia, (went from a V6 to an in-line 4)???? why, because it's different, and no-one has done it. Why spend $5000 on Scionspeeds Turbo kits when you can spend that much on a completely different engine that was built Turboed from the factory that puts out the same HP and TQ as the turbo kits???? That engine is very reliable, although, so would the 2AZ that is in the tC, if you built it for a Turbo, but then you would end up spending twice as much in order to keep it reliable and dependable for daily use.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
I don't see the point of going to a smaller engine just because it can be done. With forged internals, the 2AZ would be a workhorse under moderate amounts of boost probably easily surpassing the power potential of the 3SGTE. A 5-speed <-> 6-speed swap (Celica GT-S) would be more interesting to me.
Try explaining that to the 200,000 240SX owners who swapped in a SR20DET and are now making 275hp with a 2.0L, rather than the stock 155hp 2.4L. It's a no brainer to use the 2.0L turbo over the 2.4, as turbocharging any stock N/A motor is a lot more risky and way more expensive. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Throw the turbo 6-cyl engine in from the late model Supra, now we're talking, although I'd doubt it would fit. Then again if they can fit a 4.3L into the IS300 then they can fit a 6-cyl into the tC, just take a little fabbing.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kamikazi
Try explaining that to the 200,000 240SX owners who swapped in a SR20DET and are now making 275hp with a 2.0L, rather than the stock 155hp 2.4L. It's a no brainer to use the 2.0L turbo over the 2.4, as turbocharging any stock N/A motor is a lot more risky and way more expensive. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
Why's that gotta make me ignorant, huh? That's why I said 2AZ with forged internals or did you glance over that part? I don't give a damn about a Nissan, comparing their engine's to Toyota's engine's is like apples and oranges. Be careful who you call ignorant.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Throw the turbo 6-cyl engine in from the late model Supra, now we're talking, although I'd doubt it would fit. Then again if they can fit a 4.3L into the IS300 then they can fit a 6-cyl into the tC, just take a little fabbing.

For one, the IS300 is allready RWD, you would have to convert the tC to RWD, that would cool however.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That would be sweet except that supras are rwd and the 2jz engine is mounted longitudinally where as the tC is fwd and had a transversally mounted engine. The conversion from fwd to rwd would be damn expensive seeing as the tC doesn't have any channeling for a drive shaft to go under the car.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why's that gotta make me ignorant, huh? That's why I said 2AZ with forged internals or did you glance over that part? I don't give a damn about a Nissan, comparing their engine's to Toyota's engine's is like apples and oranges. Be careful who you call ignorant.

your ignorant! Yes I read your post, but go get out a calculater and start adding up all of those parts, internals, Turbo kit, ECU, Tuning, Dyno runs, ect....... and then you tell me what is more efficient!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For one I wasn't talking about the monetary aspect of said modifcation. You said something about having a ton of cash, well if I had a ton of cash I'd look at building up the engine I already had instead of doing some bull____ swap with an engine that would need some fabbing just to work with the tC. I guess your overlooking the ECU work that would be involved in your swap the can easily tack on some cost right there. Why does a person necessarily have to be ignorant just because they have a different POV than you, who made you king of all that is gas powered?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the main difference from the 240sx and our tc's is that all 240sx are old cars with old motors. our cars are brand new. 240sx owners swapping a old motor for an old motor is no problem, but swapping a new motor for a used motor makes no sense. am i saying swapping motors is useless... no i am not, im simply saying that used motors are less reliable than a brand new motor. can these used motors be had for cheap? hell yes, but most of the time you do not know where and how they have been taken care of by their previous owner. their reliability factor is down the ____hole. if you do swap a motor, that used motor WILL potentially cause more harm than good.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For one I wasn't talking about the monetary aspect of said modifcation. You said something about having a ton of cash, well if I had a ton of cash I'd look at building up the engine I already had instead of doing some bull____ swap with an engine that would need some fabbing just to work with the tC. I guess your overlooking the ECU work that would be involved in your swap the can easily tack on some cost right there. Why does a person necessarily have to be ignorant just because they have a different POV than you, who made you king of all that is gas powered?

I was talking about if you had the money to buy a Scionspeed turbo kit for $5000 to install on your stock 2AZ engine to gain 100hp or so, then you could take the same or less amount of money and swap in a Celica 3SGTE engine that is stock with 255hp and even if it is old and has 80,000 miles on it(depending on the place you get it, most come with around 30,000), it will still be a hell of a lot more reliable than a stock 2AZ with a huge aftermarket turbo kit running 8psi+.

As for the ECU, the engine comes with a complete wiring harness and ECU, plug and play, you would switch them out completely, it would be a matter of running the wires through the firewall. It's all stock, you dont need to tune anything.

And im not the king of anything, everyone has their limits.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well name calling aside, with the 2AZ's relatively low compression, it should be able to handle 8psi with no worries. The StageII kit @ $4,200 will bring the car up to around 305hp, of course you'd need an upgraded clutch to handle it. Now of course time will tell with that kit, but they've put that car through hell and the engine hasn't even developed a leak. Right now they've got it boosted to 17psi pushing 426whp and it's still holding (for long who knows), we do know the stock halfshafts can't hold that kind of torque but the 2AZ has proved so far to be quite tough.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with you on that, Scionspeed has put that engine through hell and back, and it is still running, but like you say, who knows for how much longer. That is longer than any Stock Honda engine has ever lasted on that much boost.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

swapping a motor involves more than taking the old one out and putting the older one in.
Many 240 owners swap because it's "COOL" or the fad.
Try a KA-turbo'd set up... the power there is grand and cost's less than finding/ordering/shipping/fabbing in/buying a new wiring harness/testing/refitting/flashing/testing/ AND Paying someone to do all that a sr20.

So in theory, it's a neat-o idea, but uncoventional and impractical.

As many here say, spend the cake on what you got. When that blows... check your engine swap options.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I know a guy that did this on a 2001 Celica GT-S. He owns a shop and is professional and it cost him 90 hours and almost $20,000 after he was done. He did fully build the motor and it was 546whp but keep the time in mind.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
swapping a motor involves more than taking the old one out and putting the older one in.
Many 240 owners swap because it's "COOL" or the fad.
Try a KA-turbo'd set up... the power there is grand and cost's less than finding/ordering/shipping/fabbing in/buying a new wiring harness/testing/refitting/flashing/testing/ AND Paying someone to do all that a sr20.

So in theory, it's a neat-o idea, but uncoventional and impractical.

As many here say, spend the cake on what you got. When that blows... check your engine swap options.

That's strange, I go to the track with 20 or so people from the az240sx.org forum, and most of them have SR swaps, they all helped each other do them, I have helped do some, and I have done many a swaps on Honda's/Acura's. NONE of them have a KA turbo set up, some have talked about it, but after researching, most have found that the SR swap is the easy way out when it comes to cost, and reliablity. So I guess it really just comes down to personal preference.

Oh and here, it's no fad to swap in an SR, there are about a dozon guys running RB's in there 240's, and since we are all track *****, if you want to drift, a KA wont cut it.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell that to the KA T guys pushing 500hp
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
Tell that to the KA T guys pushing 500hp
Well at least in Phoenix, every KAT guy has blown up at least once. The "biggest" KAT in town did 535rwhp, and has been rebuilt about seven times over the last five years. Hang out with the Honda guys.. they blow them up. Hang out with the RX7 guys, all the N/A-->turbo guys have blown up, same for 75% of the 350Z guys who to TT kits, they blow up too. What makes you think the 2AZ is any different, because ScionSpeed's car hasn't blown up yet? Gimme a break. Whatever.. All I'm saying is that if the 3SGTE fits (which it should), factory turbo is much better than turbocharging a Camry engine. 10 years ago no one thought it was possible to put an H22A in a Civic either.

Quick Reply: tC Engine Swap