Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC with Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Times

Originally Posted by jjp
I didn't make myself clear. My estimates for times are based on the naturally aspirated model, with a camry engine, in a near camry weight car. According to Carsdirect.com, the weight of the camry LE (2.4 litre I4) with 5speed manual is 3,086 lbs. Acceleration times should be slightly faster than the base camry, due to the weight difference.

As for the supercharger, who knows what that thing will do to acceleration times. The simple number of 200hp does little until we see torque delivery of this hypothetical engine.
I couldn't agree with you more. Everything here so far is primarily theory & speculation; the idea, IMHO, is to create a theory based on as many facts as possible, rather than just spew forth random information like an uncapped fire hydrant. (I'm just speaking generally by the way; this is in no way directed at you personally)

If you want to look at things closer in class; The Mazda3S (hatchback) 5speed weighs 2826 lbs, and on a good day's hitting 60 in 7.4 seconds, at 13 ft lbs less of torque, same hp. The 3s Sedan weighs about 100 lbs less, so it's at 7.3 seconds. Not really a significant difference, unless you're at the track.

I'd think the N/A Tc will come in around those times, and you can knock a good 1/2 second off with the S/C. Theoretically, if you were to pit the N/A cars I'd used here against each other in a drag track race, it'd come down to a driver's contest. As you'd justly stated, we can speculate more on the S/C when we get more info, but I'd put good money on the numbers being right around there, which makes it a bargain, IMO.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow.. i was just thinking...If someone came out with a turbo kit for the TC... and you bought the Trd s/c on your car you could in theory twin charge it... But that would involve so much other stuff.....

Just trying to spark :D in your guys.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member

Somebody said something about a SC pulley only adding a couple of HP. That's not true. Maybe you were confusing a smaller SC pulley with an underdrive pulley. A smaller SC pulley is usually good for a few psi, which equals out to 7 - 10 hp per psi depending on the motor. I would guess that the stock pulley is only about 5psi or so based on the power gain. A 7psi pulley would probably be about as high as you would want to go without an intercooler. With intake, header + exhaust. were talking about 230 - 240 flywheel ponies. Not too bad.

2000 Celica GT-S (sold)
1988 Celica All Trac (rare rocket)
Old 01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member

:D I just read the post again and it did say 3 - 5psi not HP. My bad.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, all of you seem dissapointed in the supercharger not adding major horses, but i think you forget. many people that will buy this car are going to be 30 something corporate people that know nothing about cars. i work for toyota so i see all sorts of tards coming in complaining about stuff that is perfectly fine. if scion gives mainstream america an assload of power that they could overrev and blow stuff up with they are asking for disaster. someone would crash, lawsuits, blah blah. they have to keep it down to cover their asses.

they leave room for tweaking (posts on this thread) but they leave it up to people and the after market to handle.

my major question is, if you get the supercharged tC are you forced to use premium gas? i want the power, but im not trying to pay an extra twenty cents a gallon.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtech
my major question is, if you get the supercharged tC are you forced to use premium gas? i want the power, but im not trying to pay an extra twenty cents a gallon.
The answer to your question is YES. You will need to use premium gas to run any forced indution car
Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20 cents is really nothing for gas.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

okay, all of you seem dissapointed in the supercharger not adding major horses, but i think you forget. many people that will buy this car are going to be 30 something corporate people that know nothing about cars. i work for toyota so i see all sorts of tards coming in complaining about stuff that is perfectly fine. if scion gives mainstream america an assload of power that they could overrev and blow stuff up with they are asking for disaster. someone would crash, lawsuits, blah blah. they have to keep it down to cover their asses.

they leave room for tweaking (posts on this thread) but they leave it up to people and the after market to handle.

Well first off, you're an a$$, becuase I AM a 30-something corporate person who knows quite a bit about cars, and strive to learn more about them each day. Who made you the qualified expert on that? Who do you think develops these cars, 18 year olds? Or do you think all it takes is a high school education to become an engineer qualified enough to design these vehicles? Obviously you're not getting paid well for your expertise, as the extra .20 in gas for the Sc seems to be able to kill your pocket. Maybe I'll start a fund for you for extra gas and a decent education out of my pocket change, just to shut you the hell up.

Excuse the rant, folks, but when I see ignorance, I speak my piece about it.

Secondly, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Nissan, etc. have plenty of cars with fantastic power that are on the streets right now; they don't have to hold back. And there isn't a lawyer in America who can build a case against a manufacturer for building a car that's "too fast"; it's your choice, you know what you're getting into, nobody forced you to buy it. If you can't drive it, don't buy it, or learn how to beforehand. That's why traffic laws exist: the government's GLAD you've got 300 hp; keep under 60, let it out at the track, or it's your ___. Also keep in mind there's a reason why insurance rates are nearly 60% higher for drivers UNDER the age of 25. Try not to burst a blood vessel trying to figure out why.

Thirdly, it's because of the aftermarket as a whole that Scion has hit the mainstream as a great value platform that you can keep as is, add to with the backing of a warranty, or bypass altogether and fix up it your damn self, American style. Entirely the point of Scion.

If you want to contribute to this board, do us all a favor and post what dealership you work at, so we can avoid taking our cars to your underpaid ignorant a$$.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default some useful information

Got this off of a Mazda3 forum. Very informative for all you mod-crazy folks out there. Here's the copied post and link itself. enjoy.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopi...r=asc&start=15

On a normally aspirated engine, it's all about tuning the intake and exhaust with relationship to intake and exhaust valve timing to achieve optimal results.

Engine make power by combusting fuel and air. If you can cram more fuel and air into a engine, then you make more power. At low RPMs, the primary concern is that the velocity of the intake charge is low.

Here is how an factory exhaust system works: As the cylinder reaches top-dead-center on the non-combusting cycle, there is some over-lap during which both the exhaust and intake valves are open. With back pressure in the exhaust system, a tuning effect occurs where the exhaust gas pulse from the previous combustion cycle help pull exhaust gas out and draw in fresh intake charge into the cylinder just before the exhaust valve fully closes. Then as the cylinder expands, the momentum of intake charge flow is maintained and the result is a more "full" cylinder, thus you have improved combustion. At high RPMs, however, the restrictive nature of an exhaust system with back-pressure overshadows its benefits, thus you see the high RPM HP gains when going to a low-restriction exhaust system.

On a system where back-pressure is eliminated, the cylinder does all the work of pushing exhaust gas out and pulling intake charge in. At TDC, there is no benefit from the previous combustion cycle, thus the intake charge is not being drawn in. Only when the cylinder starts to expand does the intake charge starts to fill. Thus there is less time for the cylinder to fill, and consequently less fuel/air in the cylinder. As a result, low end output falls.

The fact that a back-pressure based system scavanges energy from the previous combustion cycle makes it a good idea.

So what's the best scenario? Just like we have dual stage or infinitely variage intake runner systems, we should have an adjustable exhaust system where it presents some back pressure at low RPMs and then open up to low restriction at high RPMs.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ConnerrySE01

Well first off, you're an a$$, becuase I AM a 30-something corporate person who knows quite a bit about cars, and strive to learn more about them each day. Who made you the qualified expert on that? Who do you think develops these cars, 18 year olds? Or do you think all it takes is a high school education to become an engineer qualified enough to design these vehicles? Obviously you're not getting paid well for your expertise, as the extra .20 in gas for the Sc seems to be able to kill your pocket. Maybe I'll start a fund for you for extra gas and a decent education out of my pocket change, just to shut you the hell up.

Excuse the rant, folks, but when I see ignorance, I speak my piece about it.

Secondly, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Nissan, etc. have plenty of cars with fantastic power that are on the streets right now; they don't have to hold back. And there isn't a lawyer in America who can build a case against a manufacturer for building a car that's "too fast"; it's your choice, you know what you're getting into, nobody forced you to buy it. If you can't drive it, don't buy it, or learn how to beforehand. That's why traffic laws exist: the government's GLAD you've got 300 hp; keep under 60, let it out at the track, or it's your ___. Also keep in mind there's a reason why insurance rates are nearly 60% higher for drivers UNDER the age of 25. Try not to burst a blood vessel trying to figure out why.

Thirdly, it's because of the aftermarket as a whole that Scion has hit the mainstream as a great value platform that you can keep as is, add to with the backing of a warranty, or bypass altogether and fix up it your damn self, American style. Entirely the point of Scion.

If you want to contribute to this board, do us all a favor and post what dealership you work at, so we can avoid taking our cars to your underpaid ignorant a$$.
that was said good. :D
Old 01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have in front of me papers from a meeting my dad was in with people from Scion. Now I may be reading this wrong but if not, the supercharger will not be released till the SEMA las vegas show in November. Just thought all of you might like to know that.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha. that rant was funny. thanks for the laugh
Old 02-05-2004, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member

ok guys, i did not read the entire thread but i had a question concerning a comment a friend made to me. maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me.

i seriously doubt trd will be releasing a s/c for the vvti... they've had problem supercharging the vvti motors... any supercharger that trd has released has been for non-vvti engines... something about the heads... the vvti's are notorious for floating valves....if they do decide to release some sort of supercharger, it'll probably be through their aftermarket division, kazuma, and kazuma doesn't retain any sort of toyota warranty...
-mark
Thank You! :?:
Old 02-05-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just upgrade the pulley. most likely the stock boost is gonna be real low
Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverxb
just upgrade the pulley. most likely the stock boost is gonna be real low
Sorry, but where you responding to my post or someone elses?
Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont kno but they've already released a supercharger for the 1zz-fe vvti engine found in the Corolla/MatrixXR/Celica GT so theres no problem at all. The tC will have a Supercharger available to it if you're friend wants to believe it or not.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by reclusedx
i dont kno but they've already released a supercharger for the 1zz-fe vvti engine found in the Corolla/MatrixXR/Celica GT so theres no problem at all. The tC will have a Supercharger available to it if you're friend wants to believe it or not.
true about whether he believe's it or not. i was just wondering about it. i didn't want to run into an trouble later on down the road!
Old 02-05-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
ok guys, i did not read the entire thread but i had a question concerning a comment a friend made to me. maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me.

i seriously doubt trd will be releasing a s/c for the vvti... they've had problem supercharging the vvti motors... any supercharger that trd has released has been for non-vvti engines... something about the heads... the vvti's are notorious for floating valves....if they do decide to release some sort of supercharger, it'll probably be through their aftermarket division, kazuma, and kazuma doesn't retain any sort of toyota warranty...
-mark
Thank You! :?:
the only problems seem to be with the returnless fuel system.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gstuiep
AGREED!!! Thats what a supercharger is all about!!! If i wanted hp id get an N/A abd turbo it...i want torque! Get me from light to light as fast as possible :D
:
thats what the turbo would do
get you from light to light as fast as possible....
Old 02-05-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="ikonXone"]
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
ok guys, i did not read the entire thread but i the only problems seem to be with the returnless fuel system.

a problem wich even aftermarket companies quickly solved on the 1999 mustang GTs when they introduced returnless fuel lines on them.

shouldn't be a problem.

worst case you add a return line.

still

paying 19k then some extra couple grand for a supercharger to have like 60 horsepower less than a stock neon srt4, AND not have an LSD is silly

=)

///

Quick Reply: tC with Supercharger