Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
If someone OUTSIDE of a sponsored guy... like one of us who has access to a reputable dyno can run this... I'd like to see it... an independant dyno would do well...

I've searched and read and read and anyone who is not selling TBS's says that they do nothing to increase power or economy... Popular Mechanics, the EPA, and many other reputable and solid organizations have tested and confirmed that there are little to no gains...

On a old-school carburated engine, I could see the advantage, as the fuel and air can have a bit more space to atomize, but just spinning air into our intake manifold and up to the injectors, it seems a little neccesary to prove...

I hope one of the guys that ran our independant intake dyno comparisons can pick this up... then we'll know. Until then...

Call me senor skeptical.
I'm with him, everytime I've heard about them all anyone ever says is that it sounds nice but not gains what so ever. Though, on a old carburated engine I also can see how it might help, just not ours.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure why you can't see it helping, I mean I know that we have 4 cyclinders, but the Mustang GT I had before my TC, which was Fuel Injected, the same principle as ours, I threw a throttle body spacer and saw gains of 2 rwhp and did see a couple miles increase in mpg. So this should be the same RIGHT????
Old 09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 09-01-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I'm not too familiar with mustangs but I know when I had my civic (Which I think that engine is closer to ours than a stang) other owners said it was nothing more than a visual effect for the engine. First hand accounts and nation magazines give a damn good reasonable doubt that it doesn't help. Also did you get your stang dyno'd after because (not to be an a$$) it could just be all mental and how you drove after slapping it on.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep had it dyno'ed, a couple parts at a time, Cold Air Intake, then Throttle Body, then spacer, then at the end finally did the SCT Xcalibrator, final result with everything else I did, layed down 292 rwhp and 355 ft/lbs of torque. Everything that I have ever seen about spacers have always said that they do make an increase, not sure what you all are talking about, then again I am new to the forgein world and 4 cyclinder world.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah see that might be it, it might work well with American but for foreign I've only heard negative. Having the smaller engine could play a part, but my guess is on how foreign engines are built compared to the American.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

These spacers were designed with a HELIX and with the help of a TAPER for two reason. Tapering the of bore adds more pressure like the nozzle of an air gun or the nozzle of a water hose. By adding the taper and helix together on this particular part, the air is better guided by the helix directing it into the runners of the intake manifold. This will force the air to compress more, while forcing the incoming air to move forward and outward. Spreading it throughout the the entire intake manifold, without having to turn the 90 degree turn into the runners. The taper also helps catch more air as it passes through the helix. Giving you a faster air delivery and power.

Here's a link to the forum: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/show...hlight=nmuk152

Somewhere in that thread, I received alot of guys reported back with alot of great feebacks, most of them were through Privated messages.

BTW, I will have the dyno sheets ready by 9/9/06, so wait just alittle bit longer and I'll promise you it'll be worth your time. DYNO testing will be done by SHAWN at Church Automotive Testing, which has feature in many performance mag. Very reputable/knowledgable man.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

watching
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On that dyno, what type of car is that being tested?

If it's a tC then those are awesome gains.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TWO WHOLE HORSEPOWER

You dyno'd a margin of error. 2 horsepower is less additional power than breaking out the back window, dropping trow, and lighting a fart out of the back of the car.

This is another useless modification. I bet a ground-wire kit will have a more positive effect...bwahaha.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the intake manfiold on the TC was made of cast aluminum, I would definately say if these were made from a Phelonic or ThermaBlok material it would definately have the advantage of decreasing heatsoak.

Josh
Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nmuk152
Here's a dyno sheet, with my car running on a dirty maf:
I just noticed that was on an SE-R.

It looks like more then 2hp to me..
Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Man... This is going to corrupt our forum as well....

Do a google search on Throttle Body Spacer Forum and you'll see many, many forums with people who debated this for pages, and ultimately references to Popular Mechanics, EPA, and at many Dyno numbers showing no gains on Fuel Injected Engines....

I have yet to see a reliable and independant dyno that showed any reputable gains... and I've searched ALOT.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't heard anything about this either way, I'm just liking that dyno.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As stated I think the only way these would be any kind of a gain would be if they were made of a phelonic material. That would only benefit if the intake manifold was made of aluminum and the throttle body had coolant running through something like an IAC to control idle.

Josh
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

wonder how come no one has made an Intake Manifold Gasket.

Had one for my type S. it was like a proven 3 hp.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

How can you prove 3 HP? That's WELL within dyno variances in the same conditions...

Once again..... Independant, Outside testing is the only solid proof for anyone who knows our engines.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

watches.....

wat price range are we looking at for the spacer ?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
How can you prove 3 HP? That's WELL within dyno variances in the same conditions...

Once again..... Independant, Outside testing is the only solid proof for anyone who knows our engines.
Well. not even to get into temp conditions and other variables...i will hunt down some proof for you. give me a few.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

TPS run around 75 bucks or so from what I've found.

Quick Reply: tC throttle body spacers