Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is starting to sound like an underdrive pulley thread.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
TWO WHOLE HORSEPOWER

You dyno'd a margin of error. 2 horsepower is less additional power than breaking out the back window, dropping trow, and lighting a fart out of the back of the car.

This is another useless modification. I bet a ground-wire kit will have a more positive effect...bwahaha.
Obviously you don't know much about dyno's and power, power at the rear wheels is something valuable, so $100 for 2-3 rwhp is definately worth it, so I will be looking to pick one of these up for the TC.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

These spacers were designed with a HELIX and with the help of a TAPER for 2 reason. Tapering the of bore adds more pressure like the nozzle of an air gun or the nozzle of a water hose. By adding the taper and helix together on this particular part, the air is better guided by the helix directing it into the runners of the intake manifold. This will force the air to compress more, while forcing the incoming air to move forward and outward. Spreading it throughout the the entire intake manifold, without having to turn the 90 degree into the runners. The taper also helps catch more air as it passes through the helix. Giving you a faster air delivery and power.

Here's a link to the forum I usually post in:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/show...hlight=nmuk152
There you will see all the feebacks for the one I made for the sentra. I know the sentra and the scion are two different cars, but here you will see that it does prove gains.

BTW, Testing is going to be done by Shawn at Church Automotive Testing in WILMINGTON CA. I choose Shawn because he is a very knowledgeable guy, whom shop has appeared on many Import Magazine.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

You need to send one to us here on SL and let the skeptics take a few dyno runs with it... I'd love to take a shot at getting anything out of it with a few cars here...

If I can get hp out of it on another local tC here, I'm sure you'd sell a few more... expecially cause I have nothing to gain, as I'm F/I and don't need it.

I'd give it a fair shot.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by nolanspawn
As stated I think the only way these would be any kind of a gain would be if they were made of a phelonic material. That would only benefit if the intake manifold was made of aluminum and the throttle body had coolant running through something like an IAC to control idle.

Josh
I didn't use the phenonlic in this particular part, however, I've used on the others, and it didn't gain much of a difference. Phenolic is only good for blocking off heat not dissipation. But I might consider making them in the one here, since I see that the IM is a plastic material. But you'll looking at around 75.00 shipped.

Please no more response until post up the results.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
You need to send one to us here on SL and let the skeptics take a few dyno runs with it... I'd love to take a shot at getting anything out of it with a few cars here...

If I can get hp out of it on another local tC here, I'm sure you'd sell a few more... expecially cause I have nothing to gain, as I'm F/I and don't need it.

I'd give it a fair shot.
Sure! I do that next week.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions

If I can get hp out of it on another local tC here, I'm sure you'd sell a few more...
Seeing as testing is taking place in Wilmington, CA, I'm in the L.A. area as well and could volunteer my stock tC for independent testing.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aandf1978
Originally Posted by mattvs
TWO WHOLE HORSEPOWER

You dyno'd a margin of error. 2 horsepower is less additional power than breaking out the back window, dropping trow, and lighting a fart out of the back of the car.

This is another useless modification. I bet a ground-wire kit will have a more positive effect...bwahaha.
Obviously you don't know much about dyno's and power, power at the rear wheels is something valuable, so $100 for 2-3 rwhp is definately worth it, so I will be looking to pick one of these up for the TC.
Obviously you don't know how little 2hp matters. AWD, RWD, FWD, whatever. 2 horsepower cannot be felt, seen, or accurately measured on any kind of dyno.

And in response to the underdrive pulley comment, I disagree. Underdriving the crank pulley >does< something. This spacer is nothing different than a set of grounding wires or a damned turbonater.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

interesting......watchin too.....
Old 09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

watching
Old 09-02-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know an underdrive pulley >does< something. I have one. You must not understand what i meant....The thread is filling with arguements about if a TB spacer would provide gains. Its starting to sound like people arguing about if an underdrive pulley can be damaging your engine.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I say just let me take a few stock tCs up here to my dyno shop and we'll give it a fair shot and see what happens... It's an easy, easy install and might not even cost me anything to run...

I can't see many other reasonable solutions to the dilema outside of one of the SL veterans really giving it an outside perspective and test-shot.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^it remind me of the "tornado" can u dyno the tornado too cause da commerical dyno a bmw and show 20+ hp
Old 09-03-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ I had one in my Eclipse before I realized it really sucked. I think the logic behind this products are,

Obstruct the air path to the engine enough that the ECU sends less fuel and VOILA better MPG! I see it like that.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id like to give this a try. Could it do any harm other than leaving me with $75 less?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ You talking about the tornado? If so, please do search. Doesn't work, it's all in your mind.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The smoother the flow the better after and before the TB. This way it flows through the manifold. Only time you want air disruption is when you are running alcohol and it will mix better with the air and ignite, however this is at the head/injector area.

I have made these, just no for the TC. I incorporated several ports around the spacer itself for Nitrous, or any vacuum line you may have ie FPR, Boost, Wastegate..etc.

The horsepower is not incredible, but depending on your application it can work.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would like one to install my meth/water injection nozzle into. So if anyone has one readily available let me know via PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those wanting one of these i will personally make a tornado and sell it to u... just think of how much powAr u will have w/ both these mods together!!!

Quick Reply: tC throttle body spacers