Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: Would you buy this intake?
Yes!
51.46%
No
48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

TC Weapon R Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by DemonEyez
ehhh anyone read what i wrote about the dyno??
I guess not

The dyno sheet looks funny - it's very hard to distinguish between these multiple shades of pink.

As for low baseline HP - it all depends on a dyno. One will show 149whp, another will show 119 - it's all about the skill of a dyno operator, if they did SAE correction, if their temperture/air pressure sensors are working, etc. Too many variables. I guess performance parts gains should be measured in %, not HP - cause every dyno will be different.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my guess is they had a rat stuck in the stock intake which is why it dyno'd at 126. then the short ram didnt really create more power it just didnt have a rat in it so they dyno'd where its supposed to be. : )
Old 10-21-2004, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Scion Owners... I am going to try to answer as many questions as possible... Try to calm these very uneasy waters which are filled with lots of assumptions....

First things first... Did the intake gain the HP that is claimed? YES. Not only is it proven on a Dyno, but the car we installed the intakes on his and tested is not even ours and the Original Owner was at the dyno. We are aware that the torque curve is showing a loss of 2HP and we do believe it was simply a Dynojet Error or because of the heat. We are looking to re-dyno the production intake with our exhaust kits sometime next week or right after SEMA.

Now what I will do, since I am a ClubTC Forums member, is try to answer as many questions here as I can without advertising. So I hope I answer all your questions. If not, hit me up over there or by E-mail.

Zac: Short Ram Pipes are usually a $100? Only if you are trying to by the el cheapo BOMZ Racing Intakes off Ebay. I stock AEM and one of the cheapest we have is for the cougar which still comes in around $129. The intake that we are promoting is a WR Secret Weapon Intake.. The intake is ONLY comparable to the AEM V2 Intakes. Even though they are a short ram intake style, they are producing alot of power without the need of having to go into the fenderwell or risk of hydrolock.

3IGS: As posted in this thread... we do have the dyno sheets and they have been posted. When we did the dyno, we did leave the hood popped because this dyno facility did not have any fans in the building to simulate the air crossing the front of the car. Again just like I stated to Zac, I am sorry you feel that $240 is steep when AEM is asking $249.95 for preorders with no dyno numbers and IS just pipe. SW is not just one pipe.

Scott17: Please advise on the problems of the MAF Sensor being too close to the filter. Simple piece that took about 3-4 days to get right to create the HP you are seeing and dyno testing to make sure it produced what we wanted? Each intake takes about 1-2 hours to make due to the 2 pipe design (One Outer and One Inner)

Kaeon: 13hp is because the intake is a special design, Its not your typical Short Ram.

Ghaly: Our regular short ram did gain about 6hp on the dyno. The intake we are promoting at $240 is producing 13hp. If its a scam, I would like to know how so and why you assume this when you have never dealt with us.

Smurf3642: See other responses..

For those who think this is all a scam or sketchy.. I dunno what else to say. Our company nor did Weapon R have anything to do with the DYNO pulls or reporting. The car that was dynoed both baseline and with the intakes was lvnurs9's car. The dyno was done at a business that is not owned by either of the two companies involved. If someone else would like to dyno it within 5 days of getting the intake, I can offer to them at a great discount. Just call me or e-mail me... We will do whatever it takes to prove we are making 12.91hp out of this intake. However there is no way we can reduce the price of the intakes. If you want a cheap $150 intake, find one. At this time only WR is producing intakes. We do offer the basic short ram intake for $159 Shipped and that intake gained 6hp... Your decision... I am very confident that the AEM will not produce like the Secret Weapon
Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any way to get a torque gain instead of HP gain with CAI..?

Never really studied into air intake systems...

If you guys are doing another Dyno with your modification, please post a before and after dyno pic Please...

If you have a before and after pic to fullproof back up your claims (not accusing of thme being false) you will have numerous buyers in hours (I do not deny it)...

:D

This will be my first engine mod if I can see a better understood Dyno sheet...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry we will not be redynoing the intake.. We are not going to continue to take intakes on and off for another dyno sheet. We have done everything within reason to prevent anything that would make people think they were fake or what have you and the only thing left is to try it yourself. Like I said if someone else wants to dyno it, PM me and I can offer you a discount on the intake. Hopefully this will be one of your "members" and maybe then you will believe it. Honestly I have personally seen this on every forum... including the cougar boards and yet to this day, the #1 selling intake for the cougar is the Weapon R with over 15 intakes a week... Not bad considering there is an ebay intake for $40. Point is no intakes on the market are producing the power WR is. TPR Magazine actually did an INTAKE Test on Hondas and other cars and WR won all the tests...

I can't stress enough.... as impressive as the 12.91hp raise is... It means nothing compared to the constant 6hp gain across the powerband.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone re-post the dyno sheets? The pics are broken..
Old 10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our site is just down for a lil bit.. we are awaiting to find the glitch why all the webservers are down.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any reason to doubt the claims of this intake. and $250 for 13HP is a STEAL! The only problem I have is the base dyno numbers. The other stock dyno I saw read 141.5 Torque and 149.9 HP. What would cause this rather large discrepensy in stock dyno numbers?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like i said. : ) their intake sucked up a lil rat.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait, so is there any gain with torque??
Old 10-22-2004, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

$240 doesn't sound like too much to me, especially since my Scion dealer quoted me $1200 for the AEM intake.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont mind paying 240..its not that much i love the hp gain..

but am i guaranteed that much cause he said the hood was up during the dyno allowing cooler air than if the hood was down..

also the torque looked like it went down once installed..looking at the dyno.

help me out creative compacts hehe :D
Old 10-22-2004, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by neverspeakawordagain
$240 doesn't sound like too much to me, especially since my Scion dealer quoted me $1200 for the AEM intake.
That would have had to come with a coupon book for 10 BJs or something! 1200?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think I'm gonna wait and see if Hotshot, or Iceman produce anything, 240 is steep, I don't care what business BS you pull, 240, and technically its more like 250 is way too much, even with your pipe design...wow a pipe inside a pipe! Sorry if I sound like I'm ragging on you, you have to defend your product, its your job. But if you think 240 is a low price for this intake, you are sadly mistaken. Like others said, 150 is a more realistic price. I will wait a few years if thats gonna be the price.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Originally Posted by neverspeakawordagain
That would have had to come with a coupon book for 10 BJs or something! 1200?
No, no BJ's... but it does include labor for the installation, at $400 an hour. I do live in NY.

I wanted to get the intake, exhaust, and springs/shocks, but including the labor, that would have added about $7500 to the price of the car ($1200 for the intake, $4000 for the springs/shocks, $2000 for the exhaust that's supposed to be like $500) ... just can't see spending half again as much as the car's worth on mild performance mods.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Sorry for the whole scam thing, but I think the hood on or off makes a difference.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah please someone do a dyno with that intake and get discount and let us know then we will get em...

How about a group buy will creativeCompact will give us some discount for group buy let's do it
Old 10-22-2004, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hood open versus Hood closed may mess the dyno up? haha that is real funny. I could see if we were on the dyno all day testing intakes and the heat was BUILDING up under the hood... Howver... We made 5 pulls, during the 5 pulls we did them in the following order:

Stock, Regular Intake, Secret Intake, Secret Intake.

So even basing the assumption the hood open allowed colder air, EVEN Though the temp barely changed between intakes, it means nothing basing the temp of the motor.

On most dynos they use a fan in fromt of the car to SIMULATE driving conditions and we had no fans. It sounds like many of you are just looking for excuses to not believe that we are really making power out of the intake. But its your car, modify it the way you want.

Finally for those of you who are still complaining about price (Even though AEM is $249.95), bare in mind we still have the Regular Intake available which is producing 6hp is available for $159 Shipped.

Thanks
James
Old 10-22-2004, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to say, but i dont think ANY Aem intake costs 249.95 or your a moron to pay that much.

most websites/places sell the AEM for the tibs for 210 - 220. too bad for them i can get it for 170.

Reason why having the hood off does effect the dyno.

Your driving around in your car and you pull up to a light. Heatsoak kicks in, everything under your hood is super hot. Now you drive off and the car feels sluggish.

If your dynoing with the hood open, the heat from the engine rises out and doesnt get trapped "under" the hood, cus there isn't one. Its basically leaving cooler air in the engine bay, which is where the SRI pulls in air from. If it were a cold air intake, it wouldnt matter.

Also, i know you can't really dyno with the hood on, im sure you have to plug up wires for the RPM signals. But still thats why people are saying this, so don't knock on the people who might be your customers.

Regardless, you have never explained to us why the baseline dyno was so low. You know for a fact yourself that 22% drivetrain loss is way too much. Unless the vehicle is an automatic. Which you haven't clarified.

Also, you should reset the ECU before every pull. and do a baseline at the end as well putting the stock box back on.

Don't say that we are looking for excuses not to believe you when your dyno sheets themselves have a few issues you need to clairfy. Such as the why the baseline is so low? isnt it possible that since you did one baseline run, that run was flawed and really it dyno'd at around 135 if you would have done more? that alone would wipe out your entire "gain". Also you lose torque. You said there was something fishy about that yourself.

Now trust me, i know that NOT having a hood on, or at least having it open is normal dyno procedure. but, its still your job to talk to us politely and not just say were looking for excuses. Your here to convince us, not to tell us were paranoid.

P.S your still right, AEM and INJEN are overpriced as well. Its why i only paid 130 for my own AEM intake in red. <--- got in a good deal.

btw? did you reset the ECU before each run?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wanted to get the intake, exhaust, and springs/shocks, but including the labor, that would have added about $7500 to the price of the car ($1200 for the intake, $4000 for the springs/shocks, $2000 for the exhaust that's supposed to be like $500) ... just can't see spending half again as much as the car's worth on mild performance mods.

gimme some of whatever the hell you are smoking.

aem intake - $250
springs/shocks - $600
exhaust - $350

mcgeorgeparts.com

i gurantee you can install the intake and exhaust yourself. springs and shocks might be a problem, so take them to a shop. $1500 total you should be set...not $7500.

Quick Reply: TC Weapon R Intake