Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: Would you buy this intake?
Yes!
51.46%
No
48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

TC Weapon R Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by putz

gimme some of whatever the hell you are smoking.

aem intake - $250
springs/shocks - $600
exhaust - $350

mcgeorgeparts.com

i gurantee you can install the intake and exhaust yourself. springs and shocks might be a problem, so take them to a shop. $1500 total you should be set...not $7500.
He said his dealer was charging $400/hr labor. It seems incredibly excessive, but I don't know why he'd lie about it. If he wanted those accessories, and wanted them dealer-installed, he would have paid that much.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was under the impression that when you bought the tc and you ordered accessories, they would be installed at port w/ no labor included. as for the $400/hour for labor, if you go anywhere else no one will charge you near that. look around online or make some phone calls and you will save yourself a lot of money. you don't have to go to a dealer and get raped. there are plenty more options out there.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I called my sponsor and i'm prolly going to put my car into the shop in the next week, once i get my numbers back from my MAFci Intake system, then we'll compare cost/hp between all the intakes out now, and ones that haven't been thought of... i expect that the intake that i'll have on my tC will top everyone out there... the only thing that makes people get all wide eyed for is the cost... but i'm going to work on that with them... if your interested in that... check out this webpage...

www.cp-e.com

If intersted, follow this link below, and add your name!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=mafci#330401

Also i'll be sure to let everyone know the dyno results as well as post it up w/ pictures!

:D
Old 10-22-2004, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about cost bro? i can make a cold air intake for you guys w/ a true K&N filter for around 125 - 150 polished.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When we dynoed the vehicle... Baselines as well as intake pulls were both done 2 TIMES. We posted the highest numbers for the baseline and regular intake and then we also posted both pulls for the Secret Weapon. If you are familiar with dynos you know that all dynos are different on HP ratings... We could simply do the pulls on the same dyno and give the gains on the dyno. There is NO OTHER way to check things unless you go to another dyno. Where we are there is only the DynoJet, hence why we offered someone else the offer to dyno it locally elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Reason why having the hood off does effect the dyno.

Your driving around in your car and you pull up to a light. Heatsoak kicks in, everything under your hood is super hot. Now you drive off and the car feels sluggish.

If your dynoing with the hood open, the heat from the engine rises out and doesnt get trapped "under" the hood, cus there isn't one. Its basically leaving cooler air in the engine bay, which is where the SRI pulls in air from. If it were a cold air intake, it wouldnt matter.
Just wondering if you ever thought that while the hood is closed " IN NORMAL DRIVING CONDITOINS" there is air moving into the engine bay and then escaping?

Meaning the hot air is always moving out of the engine compartment?
So if you would like to prove me wrong go ahead and install an temp prbe in your engine compartment and drive around..

The temp will raise when your at a stoplight, which is usually 1 minute, which you can see's no hp gain anyways, the darn thing aint moving. And even if the filter gets heat soaked, it will go away within mnutes, and for cold air intakes the filter too can get heat soaked, from the atomospheric heat.

SO the dyno is not completely accurate to simulate any normal driving conditions, The dyno is merely to give you a idea of how much Hp something can create.

IMO, people who want to buy it, go ahead, people who dont, just keep your thoughts to yourself. The real only way to see the horsepower is to try it yourself.

And for the people who are actively hating, your never going to believe in any other new product, except for what the industry tells you is cool. Be diferent and find out for yourself. Which is why this intake is called the Secret Weapon.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

"Demoneyes"
We make custom air intakes, headers, reservoir tanks, turbo exhaust manifolds.

If you want to come by we will service you in making an cold air intake for you.
Price depends on what length you want the pipe to be, and what diameter.
Raw material you can calculate yourself. Labor is $100 a hour for welding and installation. Take into consideration you need a sensor adapter out of aluminum to make a cold air intake work for your car, the car willnot run without the air flow sensor.

Were in South San francisco, Ca
650-877-8280
Old 10-22-2004, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WEAPONRLEO
"Demoneyes"
We make custom air intakes, headers, reservoir tanks, turbo exhaust manifolds.

If you want to come by we will service you in making an cold air intake for you.
Price depends on what length you want the pipe to be, and what diameter.
Raw material you can calculate yourself. Labor is $100 a hour for welding and installation. Take into consideration you need a sensor adapter out of aluminum to make a cold air intake work for your car, the car willnot run without the air flow sensor.

Were in South San francisco, Ca
650-877-8280
hey i know while the cars moving that air circulates. thus i said when you stop AT A LIGHT the hot air sits.

Also, thank you for the offer, but I have my own connections out here in atlanta. : ) I have companies that do full mandrel pipings *they actually make em not find prebent cut/weld*. Also a company to make any style intercooler i want, hpc ceramic coating, powdercoating, welding steel, aluminum. tig mig. : ) thanx but yeah im set.

best part is since their my friends as well. I really don't get charged much for labor.

P.S someone came up to me with a tc and inquired about a new Intake manifold. Im thinking about it.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Actually it's not U-Bends cut and weld..
These are bent pipes to the scion TC.
And secondly there is a second pipe inside the pipe.
Logically you cannot ut another pipe inside a pipe without cutting certain angles and sections to put that pipe inside.

If you have your own connections by all means do what you gotta do, but i can guarntee this... " I got $150 on it " NO OTHER AIR INTAKE / WHEATHER COLD AIR OR SHORT RAM " WILL BEAT THIS INTAKE SYSTEM.

If you can make a better intake than this one " HORSEPOWER WISE "..
Let'd Set up a dyno showdown. CHeck out the INtake Dyno Showdown from TPR MAGAZINE, And check out the latest issue of TPR MAGAZINE, they test the SW on an Integra Type-R. WWW.TPRMAG.COM

I put my money where my muth is..

And we guarntee " MONEY BACK " this intake will perform as tested.

And one more thing.
If this intake performed this well without any fans in front of it on the dyno after so many passes, wonder how it will do with fans in front of the car to simulate driving conditions?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WEAPONRLEO
Actually it's not U-Bends cut and weld..
These are bent pipes to the scion TC.
And secondly there is a second pipe inside the pipe.
Logically you cannot ut another pipe inside a pipe without cutting certain angles and sections to put that pipe inside.

If you have your own connections by all means do what you gotta do, but i can guarntee this... " I got $150 on it " NO OTHER AIR INTAKE / WHEATHER COLD AIR OR SHORT RAM " WILL BEAT THIS INTAKE SYSTEM.

If you can make a better intake than this one " HORSEPOWER WISE "..
Let'd Set up a dyno showdown. CHeck out the INtake Dyno Showdown from TPR MAGAZINE, And check out the latest issue of TPR MAGAZINE, they test the SW on an Integra Type-R. WWW.TPRMAG.COM

I put my money where my muth is..

And we guarntee " MONEY BACK " this intake will perform as tested.

And one more thing.
If this intake performed this well without any fans in front of it on the dyno after so many passes, wonder how it will do with fans in front of the car to simulate driving conditions?
wasn't implying anything about that being cut/weld. I meant how most people go to shops who only take prebent and use whatever they need, i got access to more than just that. that was all.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said... they charge $400 an hour for labor installation. I do live in Manhattan, so labor costs are always excessive.

As for installing the parts myself... I used to be a mechanic (the type who fixes machines in factories, not cars), so I could probably do most of it myself... if I didn't live in Manhattan. Can't really pull the car over on the West Side Highway and start yanking out manifolds.

The springs/struts cost that much because they told me it would be a two man job to install them, and take 4 hours. $400 x 2 x 4 = $3200 for labor on the installation.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see why every one is making such a problem out of this. There was an intake on a stock rsx-s that gained 22hp at the wheels. How is 12.9peak impossible? I just don't see why everyone is so against making horspower. As for the price, if you look around for SOME high-q intakes, the prices ARE over 200. Differen't car's have different prices as well so keep that in mind. The AEM intake for our car is around the same price so how is this intake "over-priced" if it costs about the same and makes more power?

What I'm more curious about is the metal piping. Would vendors (including WR) consider selling heat wrap to keep the pipe somewhat cooler? Or should I send it out to be coated? I wrapped some pipes on my 02 turbo civic and it helped a great deal.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dude, someones trying to bone you dry! The national average for labor at a Toyota dealership is $79 hr. It ain't no harder to install in Manhatten than in Peoria. At $400 an hour I doubt they would get any business.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Tcguy
I don't see why every one is making such a problem out of this. There was an intake on a stock rsx-s that gained 22hp at the wheels. How is 12.9peak impossible? I just don't see why everyone is so against making horspower. As for the price, if you look around for SOME high-q intakes, the prices ARE over 200. Differen't car's have different prices as well so keep that in mind. The AEM intake for our car is around the same price so how is this intake "over-priced" if it costs about the same and makes more power?

What I'm more curious about is the metal piping. Would vendors (including WR) consider selling heat wrap to keep the pipe somewhat cooler? Or should I send it out to be coated? I wrapped some pipes on my 02 turbo civic and it helped a great deal.
Real cars, have expensive intakes, we are a eco box with style, our intakes shouldn't be able to touch 250 dollars

A Honda S2000 has an expensive intake....why? Because it is a real car as compared to us. A BMW has an expensive intake, most have to be custom, why?...because money makes money. If you pay a lot for your car, your gonna pay a lot to mod it. Its always the case. If you buy a Honda Civic, you can get parts anywhere for cheap...why?...cuz the car is cheap, parts shouldn't be expensive, losing consumers because of cost is just bad marketing.

Plus, now that I've seen these guys talk to us (referring to Weapon R) I won't buy an intake from them. We wanted answers all they could do is try to prove us wrong, which they didn't do a very good job at. You just lost your precious $250.00.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
Real cars, have expensive intakes, we are a eco box with style, our intakes shouldn't be able to touch 250 dollars
I'm not even going to touch on that one....

Anywho, doing a little price per horsepower comparison, assuming gains are correct:
(rounding price and gain est.)

Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake:
$250
9.5hp (avg of 2 runs)
$26 p/h

Weapon R Standard Intake (or whatever standard intake CC refered to early)
$160
6hp
$27 p/h

TRD Supercharger
$2600 (Carson Scion Listed Price)
40hp (est) - 50hp (est)
$60 p/h - $52 p/h

Seems like a pretty fair price to me, comparatively speaking. A well engineered part is a well engineered part, regardless of if it goes on a "real" car or not. Yes, the TRD Supercharger price and gains are estimated, but more then likely, the price p/h will be higher when the final product is released. Do a price per horsepower for other products out there right now, and I'm sure you'll see similar results.

I have a question for Weapon R and/or Creative Compacts, are these results SAE corrected? I ask because I see "uncorrected" listed in several places on the Dyno, but I'm not sure what the uncorrected is referring to.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD

Some people need to realize that the cost includes much more than the parts... and it is like that for everything.. not just intakes.

your also paying for the engineering time that went into designing something like this, the testing, the quality, the proof of concept, the maufacturing overhead, the risk incurance, .. the list goes on.

C
Old 10-24-2004, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scion owners, be ware.

these cars were designed, manufactured and marketed for guys who want to trick their ride on a budget. soon, the market will be flooded with small name parts promising huge gains at moderate prices.

do your homework, ask us dudes here at scionlife and don't be a sucker. because if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

not trying to know the secret weapon intake, this is applicable to all new products.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Iceman, Hotshot, those are the names I trust, why?...cuz they gave my old cars nice gains, without some bull____ price. I paid 130 for my Iceman, and it was just as good as this weapon r....so ummm....that price for our eco box is to much, anyone who thinks 250 is a fair price for two pieces of metal inside each other, should get an MRI,
Old 10-25-2004, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bout a few comments made...

Do not say that expensive intakes are made for "Real" sports cars. Do they get special plastics and metals? I can see the real CF intake that's out for the M3, but what's different between the plastic/metal pipes between cars? All I see is that the know they can charge more, because people who can afford an expensive car can usually afford a more expensive intake.

On the 250 note.. mentioned on one of the last posts...

I hade a 95 eclipse when i was 15-16 and the AEM CAI on that was 245. That car definately does not assume the role of a true sports car.

I do a lot of businesses and am pursuing a degree in business... The reason why the Weapon R is close to the price to AEM's... is because AEM is it's only competition. They make more power then AEM and charge about the same price. See the marketing advantage? Why should they charge less? If people want the most HP per dollar, Weapon-R outperforms the one competitor so people will choose that. My 2 cents... Sorry
Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just looking into AEMs and DC Sports dyno testing procedures, and they always have the hood up and a fan at the front and rear of the car when they dyno their products. I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers of Weapon R’s final production intake w/ their exhaust system.

Quick Reply: TC Weapon R Intake