Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Thinking of adding K&N Typhoon air intake system on TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Thinking of adding K&N Typhoon air intake system on TC

I was just thinking of adding a K&N Typhoon air intake system to replace the old factory one, I know that K&N is a killer brand. Just wondering how good they work, and how easy it is to install.. plus any thoughts on the system in general... thanks

Oh yeah.. if I get it going with the red one with the black filter to match the black, carbon fiber, and red styling I am gonna go for with my engine.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 04-11-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Thinking of adding K&N Typhoon air intake system on

Originally Posted by LordBloodRaVen
I was just thinking of adding a K&N Typhoon air intake system to replace the old factory one, I know that K&N is a killer brand. Just wondering how good they work, and how easy it is to install.. plus any thoughts on the system in general... thanks

Oh yeah.. if I get it going with the red one with the black filter to match the black, carbon fiber, and red styling I am gonna go for with my engine.
Do they make a red version for our car? All I've seen is silver and blue anodized...

Anyways, you'll love it. The install was a little irritating but not too bad. It should take a complete novice about 2 hours at the MOST. You will notice the power increase immediately. Nothing will really happen under 3,000 rpms but once you hammer it over 3k, you will REALLY start to feel and hear the power. Yeah... it's not that big of an increase but it's definitely enough to be noticed. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have heard alot of great things baout the intake i just ordered mine from vividracing.com for $254 with shipping i wanted a blue one but that one seems to be on backorder till 5 years from now jk but its on back order like crazy along with the silver ones just shop around a call their hotline and speak with a person directly dont trust what the site tells you, oh and stay away from autopartswarehouse.com they will tell you they have it in stock just to buy it then they decide to tell you 3 days later!!!! that its on backorder and they cancelled ur order
Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does it help the MPG any?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, if anything you'll lose a bit of MPG efficiency since you'll be on the accelerator so much to hear that GROWL! :D
Old 04-11-2005, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Giravani
No, if anything you'll lose a bit of MPG efficiency since you'll be on the accelerator so much to hear that GROWL! :D

aint that the freakin truth..... i installed mine friday and i love the damn thing... you can really feel it kick in around 4000 rpm's......... I wish they had a red run cuz i would of got that... i paid 235 shipped from hopup, fast ___ shipping.... ordered it last tuesday and recieved it friday...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah just shop around the shipping depends on them and where you live, some places also offer free shipping but 95% might be out of stock on them just look around creative compacts seems to have the best price around $229 i think with free shipping if they are still offering that, and scionsport.com has a couple from what the guy told me today, yeah MPG will go down just for the reason that you will never let off the accelerator but its supoosed to help MPG i guess if you drive like a senior citizen dont worry about MPG the more you add to the car the less youll get no way around it maybe if you live in CA you might worry a little more since gas is high up there here in chicago its about 2.51 for premium grade thats what i run so no biggy takes about $25 to fill up the tank
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The K&N is loud as hell but it sounds mean as hell too!!! I've heard that if vibrates the whole car at full throttle. Thats a little much for my taste but If your looking to heard coming down the street... mission accomplished.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm so... I dont tromp the gas that much so it will help the MPG a lil? cool.. but when I do tromp it it will be a notice hehe... and growl.. good... be a nice mix with the pipes I wanna get
Old 04-11-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

K&N Product Information for 69-8607TB
Intake Kits > Typhoon; Cold-Air; Blue

Built for performance and show, the Typhoon™ Air Intake System is a free-flowing mandrel-bent aluminum tube induction system designed to fit many sport compact performance vehicles. Typhoon intakes come in one of three designs; cold air intakes (CA), short ram intakes (SR), or complete cold air (CCA) intakes which can be configured as either a cold air intake or a short ram intake. They also come in four finishes, polished aluminum (part ends with TP), powder coated blue (part ends in TB), powder coated red (part ends in TR), and powder coated silver (ends in TS). K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction allowing more air flow to your engine. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range. [MORE]

69-8607TB Product Specifications
Product Style: Typhoon
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 6 HP @ 5200 RPM
Color: Blue
Replacement Filter: RU-4960
System Type: Cold-air intake system
CARB Exempt: "For Off-Road use only"
Weight: 7.9 lb (3.6 kg)
Product Box Length: 24 in (610 mm)
Product Box Width: 12 in (305 mm)
Product Box Height: 10 in (254 mm)

Available Information
Installation Instruction Sheet
Dyno Chart - 05 Scion tC 2.4L 5 spd manual - 6.0HP increase
Large Picture
Medium Picture
Small Picture
69-8607TB Vehicle Applications

it says they have red.. and this is off K&N's website
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

despite what the text says...
the red one does not exist...
do a product application search for the tC on the K&N site...
and you'll see only the blue and silver show up...

further try entering the product code of what the red color would be
69-8607TR
(the last letter is the color code)

it'll say product number not found...
maybe they'll release it later?
but for now i highly doubt there are any red ones...
Old 04-11-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe i should get them for false advertisment hehe... nahh
Old 04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Under normal driving conditions you will hear it a little but not as if you where hitting full throttle or at about 3500 rpm when it starts kicking in, but regardless you will still hear it thats why its called the TYPHOON but that aside if you dont want K&N look into the solara CAI by injen from what i heard it fits just some custom brackets you have to make for it cause the ones for that car dont align to the TC but you will still be getting around 6hp i would suggest taht if you want a polished look and sorry to break your heart but yeah the red one does not exist for our cars, but just get some red spray paint with metal flakes and paint it, same way im going to paint my valve cover
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh well... i like the K&N products.. so.. I might have to either wait.. or just get it and paint it yeah... typhoon
Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to vividracing.com i ordered mine one monday and i will be reciving it on Friday pretty fast delivery, but if you want a louder intake sound get an exhaust and release more pressure im looking at the Injen, but then i saw the HKS one so now im stuck on that
Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc05
go to vividracing.com i ordered mine one monday and i will be reciving it on Friday pretty fast delivery, but if you want a louder intake sound get an exhaust and release more pressure im looking at the Injen, but then i saw the HKS one so now im stuck on that
the HKS is sweeeeeet
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys know that the K&N isn't street legal right??? Just wait for the AEM it might be a couple of months but at least its legal and you definitly wont have to worry about hydorlock
Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

FWIW:
I just ordered a blue one from this website: http://www.iraterides.com/sportcompa...namicIndex.asp
and it was only $206.01 SHIPPED. I'll let you know how their service is.

I can't wait! This is one of the few things I've wanted to get for my tC. Not bad for an old-f**t, huh?

UPDATE: I just cancelled my order. I got a nice call from them to let me know the product is backordered. I wouldn't have gotten the order for 2 to 5 weeks and K&N would have tacked on a $25 special order fee on top of my purchase price. Too bad... I was really looking forward to it.

UPDATE 2: If you want to avoid the $25 dropship charge -- and don't mind a long wait, go ahead and order it. Just let them know to not have it shipped from K&N. I haven't seen any other sites with such a good price for the K&N CAI.

UPDATE 3: Blue K&N CAI is on order again. Now the impatience begins. Heh-heh!! I'm saving the $25 add-on charge by not having K&N dropship it.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by utatc7218
You guys know that the K&N isn't street legal right??? Just wait for the AEM it might be a couple of months but at least its legal and you definitly wont have to worry about hydorlock
If you knew anything about this intake you would understand that the mounting location of the filter in the fender well keeps hydrolocking from ever happening, unless you decide to dive the front of your car into a lake. Street legal? What's that?!

Quick Reply: Thinking of adding K&N Typhoon air intake system on TC