Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

throttle delay

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default throttle delay

Well i was driving my friends Si today and it felt much different than my car, but one thing i wanted to know and realized is that their throttle is much more responsive, and he told me mine was really delayed, after noticing this and driving my car i noticed that it was, i was wondering why this is?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe it's because we dont have a throttle cable. Our Throttle response is controlled by the ECU, that is where the delay comes in.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drive by wire.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah gotta love drive by wire.. they should offer a better software update to remove that.. they did for my parent's sienna.. and about 60-70% of the lag is gone..
Old 07-11-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm maybe they will lets just pray they do.But i think It's more annoying with the MT.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member

I know the delay can be a little annoying at times... but can't you just adjust to it and get ready to punch it a little bit sooner?

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but maybe I am alone on this one.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

delay = removed if you have a good grounding kit, my groundfusion kit is a 4g 8 point system and the delay is gone. One of the best mods for the buck in my opinion, that and the redline hoodlift kit.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car has the delay and it sucks bad! I also have hesitation from 0 throttle to just a light normal acceleration... it is very noticable in 2nd gear. I would like everyone to try it and let me know what they feel. 5spd only. Try this.. Pop it into 2nd and rev to around 3k and let it fall back down to 2k with the foot all the way off the throttle then tap the gas and bring it back to 3-3500 rpm and see if there is a hesitation (not the drive by wire delay) but something like a bad AFR or something. I am taking my car into the dealer soon because something isn't right.

Mr_Lore, where do I get that kit? I have been meaning to snag one or make my own and see if it helps the delay problem too. So you are saying if you blip the throttle while standing still the car will actually blip like a car that has a throttle cable?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah there is a big delay. at low speeds sometimes i hit the gas hard, and 1 second later the car would jump forward really hard. its annoying
Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mr_lore
delay = removed if you have a good grounding kit, my groundfusion kit is a 4g 8 point system and the delay is gone. One of the best mods for the buck in my opinion, that and the redline hoodlift kit.
where can u get a grounding kit? does it matter if your car is auto or manual?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboMe
where can u get a grounding kit? does it matter if your car is auto or manual?
groundfusion.com and I think theyre still running a 10% special in the commerce sponsored sales section of this site. $65 if I remember right.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I grounded mine at 4 points this weekend with 8 Ga. with a kit i made for about $15, and took about 30 mins of my time. It made a HUGE difference in the throttle response. It also seemed much smoother at higher RPMs. I strongly recommend it.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^^^ I'm a little new to this so bare with me....what exactly does this do.... and how is it installed??? Also on the website groundfusion.com it has this written under warrenty:
"Due to the fact that these are racing parts we all want to use, putting this much stress on your everyday driven car and race vehicles could cause other parts to fail. "

So needless to say what could go wrong with this kit and how likey is it. I would love to rid of this delay and help the actually ride of my car but i dont know what this is really???? Any help, explainations, pros cons..please thanks
Jason
Old 07-11-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
^^^^^ I'm a little new to this so bare with me....what exactly does this do.... and how is it installed??? Also on the website groundfusion.com it has this written under warrenty:
"Due to the fact that these are racing parts we all want to use, putting this much stress on your everyday driven car and race vehicles could cause other parts to fail. "

So needless to say what could go wrong with this kit and how likey is it. I would love to rid of this delay and help the actually ride of my car but i dont know what this is really???? Any help, explainations, pros cons..please thanks
Jason
interesting... i dont see how a grounding kit could cause other parts to fail. can anyone explain? they prolly just put that there for liability reasons?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it is there just to protect their butts. I bet on their website that warning is on everything they sale, say for example you buy something that really puts stress on your engine like a turbo, then other parts could fail. A grounding kit won't make other parts go bad. Im prolly gonna do this mod too as it helps with all cars.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, there is something about drive by wire that makes a driver feel so detached from the throttle. Coming from a 2002 Civic Si which had a throttle cable, the tC's response is much slower.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan

Jason
Though i've done alot of electronic-related installs, i'm by no means a pro... so if this is incorrect someone please correct me.

Basically your car is only grounded from the battery in one spot. A ground wire kit basically allows you to even out the voltage in your car, allowing electronic components to work faster and more efficient. I installed 4 wires. From my battery, to the driver side body and from my battery to my rightmost ignition coil to the bolt on top the valve cover to the passenger side body . I can post pics if needed.

It'll be pretty hard to ruin something by installing this kit, unless there is a short somewhere.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heliotropic is on the right track. It's not so much a function of working faster, as it is a matter of efficiency. In car audio arenas, they upgrade the "big three." These are

• Battery to Alternator (+)
• Battery to Body Ground (-)
• Chassis to Engine Ground (-)

These upgrades lower the overall resistance in your charging system, allowing for more stable voltage and better current flow.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there alot of different systems out like this? Which is recommended or all the they all the same sh**? I've been hearing alot about them lately. That would be great to increase response, and smooth idle.

Just say this on e-bay? Looks any good? Opinions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The throttle Response is NOT delayed that much.... Yes, I agree that it is not as responsive as a throttle cable, there is no way that it takes a second to react. It's more like a quarter of a second.....if that.

I havn't had any problems trying to launch, or even knowing how hard to hit the throttle. It's just something to get used to.

Quick Reply: throttle delay