Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

throttle delay

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Could someone please put a digital multimeter to their battery terminals after the car is cranked, and give me the voltage readings (Please be truthful).
I will try to remember to do that before I put in my Optima yellow top... and after as well.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jaydub
Originally Posted by Rivulent
Could someone please put a digital multimeter to their battery terminals after the car is cranked, and give me the voltage readings (Please be truthful).
I will try to remember to do that before I put in my Optima yellow top... and after as well.
what size yellow top are you getting? because i will be getting a yellow top as well
Old 07-27-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Not to pull away from the insane Grounding kit tendancy in this thread, but my throttle response cut WAY down after my megan header install with Injen intake. I almost flew out of my garage and hit a car cause I just touched the pedal and vrrrooommm. I'm considering a yellow top (half just for looks) and a nice looking ground kit, but I'm idling consistently now and throttle response is WAY better than my turbo golf with DBW, so I'm satisfied currently.

I'd seriously be cautious about DBW being too influenced by grounding... or "stronger" spark giving you faster throttle response. that computer is taking readings and performing throttle adjustments faster than you or I can even think about it... I bet it's more the engine's desire to get air/fuel and kick it out the other end that causes your delay.

At least that makes simple basic mechanical sense, outside of all the expertise.

I'm a big fan of a nice looking engine bay, so hit up the wires, grab an intake, and sport a nice header setup and walla! less lag!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why no red top?
Old 07-27-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

If there's an optima Red Top application for the Tc, I might be game. The yellow tops have gotten more attention for the sport compact market, so that's where I'm leaning.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from www.optimabatteries.com

If your battery is used in vehicles that demand extra reliability and performance, or if you just take pride in getting the best performance out of your vehicle, OPTIMA RedTop batteries deliver the performance you demand.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from www.optimabatteries.com

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

it seems the yellow top is if you're running massive number of accessories.. i'd stick to the red top (as a matter of fact i installed my red top a week ago )
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what suze optima battery do we require? i wanna get a yellow top as well because of the sound system i am installing. (2) 700W amps, and eventually one amp for the speakers
Old 07-27-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't know there was a size LOL

get a standard optima yellow top. nothing else too it.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

isnt that like 75/35 or something like that?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes

it's hard to find other sizes in stores
Old 07-29-2005, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member

I have purchased and installed a groundfusion grounding kit also. It acutally did seem to help a little bit. The change wasnt extremely dramatic but it was worth it IMO.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used the michoku uber grounding system, i built it myself. it cost me like 8 bucks and 20 minutes of my time. and well worth it, the lag is almost completely gone.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think this delay is over-exaggerated. sure its noticeable by cable comparison but barely noticeable. i have no faith in the grounding kit having an effect on throttle response time. its one thing any good electrical engineer should know, any short comings in ground consistency could cost you your circuit design. in this case, the myth of grounding kit is just a bunch of bologna
Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
Originally Posted by Diluvium
Originally Posted by Hitm@n
You think home depot would have evrything i need? about how many feet should i get?
And can someone show what grounding points where used?

LOL home depot... quote, it says "home" not "car"...
you obviously have no idea about electrical work. you could build the kit for dirt cheap. given it's not going to be blingarific unless you really take your time but it'll be just as functional and 1/5th the cost.
The sad thing is, a lot of people don't seem to know that many of the 'Custom' car products sold on ebay are from Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

"Custom" Kit Grill Mesh, for example.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what worked for me: a Fidanza flywheel. No more throttle lag at all, just nice clean heel/toe action and crisp shifts. The car does accelerate better too, and if you put it on an inertial dyno (Dynojet), it would say it makes more power even though it doesn't.

I too have no faith in any grounding kit, especially after seeing the numbers above. Less than a 2mV drop? Out of 14,400mV? Even as a percentage, theres a decimal an zeroes in front of that number. Just put antiseize on your ground bolts and call it a day. Oh, and if grounding is so big a difference for your engine, why not do the same treatment to all the positive leads? Certainly there are a few mV to recover there too.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude
i think this delay is over-exaggerated. sure its noticeable by cable comparison but barely noticeable. i have no faith in the grounding kit having an effect on throttle response time. its one thing any good electrical engineer should know, any short comings in ground consistency could cost you your circuit design. in this case, the myth of grounding kit is just a bunch of bologna
READ THIS!!!
Save your time and money.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1931076

oh look. this isn't just a myth about TCs, but mazda's too. this doesnt apply to a lot of honda's (cable throttle) so there's' quite some bashing on grounding kits in the honda forums, but either way maybe this hocus pocus isn't bogus after all.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if the same fix still applies to the '07 tC. I know there have been some little changes from the '05 up to the '07. I have an '07 and throttle delay is something which has been bugging me somewhat. Was it worse on the '05, or did Toyota just never do anything to fix it?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's still hocus pocus. Just because people from Honda-tech think somethings true, I'd be more inclined to argue the opposite.

See what lo bux racer said.

Quick Reply: throttle delay