Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission::"who drives their car hard?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by childdamien
just a reminder this technique takes a little practice to get right...and is unnecessary when comming to stop signs stop lights and vice versa, like posted before... use your brakes they are cheaper to replace, if you are engine braking to stop. now if your on the track or your running your favorite circuit of backroads learning how to properly downshift is key for faster times and less clutch wear, like the previous guy said its just a blip of the throttle and whether your heel toe downshifting or if your right foot is too big for that you can learn how to by just slippling the right half of that foot to the gas....practice practice practice, or you can say bye bye to your clutch...
Exactly, it is a bit of practice to learn just how much and when to blip. You may get some jumpy shift a couple of times but after a while its smooth as silk.

Can be used fequently in real driving situations. Is perfect for passing on the highway, getting on an off ramp, cruising through EZ-Pass booths.

If you thrill-ride, or go to track days, LEARN how to do it properly.

I also agree, stop signs and redlights, use your brakes. Our revs don't drop quick because of the heavy flywheel. So it's not super effective anyway unless youre in the upper rev-band (4k+)
Old 05-07-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmmm,

this is all so interesting, i drive hard on my car and i only got 5k miles on it. I shift every tym @ 5000 rpm n somtimes smash on it until the rev limiter kicks in. The smell of my clutch burning occured soo many times. LOL i shud take it easy den!!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frisk00Azn
Hmmm,

this is all so interesting, i drive hard on my car and i only got 5k miles on it. I shift every tym @ 5000 rpm n somtimes smash on it until the rev limiter kicks in. The smell of my clutch burning occured soo many times. LOL i shud take it easy den!!

wow....all the posts you keep comming with all stun me....you had one about octane the other day that drove me nuts.....im guessing you got the car new?....well you should have driven it pretty easy for the first 500-1000 or so miles andthen changedthe oil and tranny fluid.....but ill bet you didnt, you should never have to drive it to the rev limiter when your hp/torque drops off well before that.....and you should have probably stopped driving the way you did when you smelled clutch the first time.....LOL should learn how to drive a stick den....hahahaha, have fun replacing it at 20k miles
Old 05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He will snap something sooner or later, don't worry. Just hope it doesn't happen on a highway.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive my 5-speed pretty hard.. I've ran it down the track about 40-50 times.

21,000 miles and it shifts like when I first got it, no clutch slipping or grinding. (knocks on wood)

For anyone who's having shifting problems, I would recommend the TWM short shifter, it really helped me.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
This made me
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, the problem is too many autos out make many ppl lazy so they dont learn how to properly shift. I learned how to drive in guatemala when i was 11 and they pretty much only have mt cars. On my old 87 nissan maxima, which i still drive have close to 300k miles on it and is only on its second clutch that i replaced at 170k miles. It still runs good but slips like once a month. Seals might be going since they are lik18 yrs old. My tc is auto only cuz my mom cant drive stick.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Transmission::"who drives their car hard?"

Originally Posted by SiknesS
i got 49000 miles... and my tranny is already leaking man... this is ridiculous...
450 to get it sealed up...

i went to toyota.. and they are gonna diagnose it if its under warrenty or not..

if i gotta replace it... might as well throwin a clutch and a flywheel...

but has anyone else had these problemos??

So wait were those two trannies covered under warranty?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't drive my car hard at all. i figure that i'd like to keep it at least 5 years (thats when it will be paid off)
i do tend to downshift to 4th before i get to the off ramp on the highway. i should probably stop doing that
14k and no major problems yet. knocks on wood
Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member

nevergivein, i think your safe man....like you said you dont drive your car hard...and just your occasional downshift to fourth from fifth wouldnt be enough to cause any sort of problems....