Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Is the TRD Exhaust legal in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is the TRD Exhaust legal in VA?

I was pulled over by our locals finest this past weekend because my exhaust is too loud. I purchased the TRD exhaust through my dealer, which I assume means it is legal. I cannot imagine they could sell this exhaust if it is not legal. The cop did not ticket me but he said I will continually be pulled over for a potential noise violation. I contacted my dealer and they of course will not provide a letter or get involved which concerns me. I live in Northern Virginia. Does anyone know about the TRD exhaust and any potential legality issues?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the TRD exhaust is 100% legal. cops might keep pulling you over, but inform that that it is a dealer installed option, and it is a toyota/scion accessory. if need be, go to the scion website, and print out the detail of the TRD exhaust, and keep it in your car at all times to show a cop if u ever get pulled over for it again.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm pretty sure that in virginia anything louder than stock is illegal.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i'm pretty sure that in virginia anything louder than stock is illegal.
that is correct, they also go by the look of the exhaust. it must be "stock looking" so to say. but it is a toyota accessory, it is 100% legal.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Wow.. move to other state man. TRD exhaust is not that loud. Geeez. My 85 supra is 2X as loud as my tC when it had TRD and I never once pulled over. They should stop all those Harleys because they are sooo loud.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
Wow.. move to other state man. TRD exhaust is not that loud. Geeez. My 85 supra is 2X as loud as my tC when it had TRD and I never once pulled over. They should stop all those Harleys because they are sooo loud.
i agree. i was pulled over for my draxas exhaust (i live in MD), and i informed the cop it is 100% legal. it has a hi-flow DOT approve cat, resonator, and is a little louder than the trd exhaust. none the less, he gave me a repair order, and i go tit signed over by in inspection mechanic because like i told the cop, it was/is legal.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in virginia and I visit my sister in Falls Church every once in a while....and I've never had any problems with my car up there. I believe Virginia as well as other states have a 93 db limit, which the trd should definitely be under. I mean, I have header back exhaust with the trd, and I know mine is louder than yours when I'm accelerating, but might be quieter when idle. Regardless, you should see how it is in Southern Virginia, where I go to college, I got pulled over for 35% tint at least 3 times! But, I've only gotten one ticket for the tint, so finally I had to go legal to 50% in the front, freakin Virginia cops got nothing better to do. Well my advice is, if you are really that self-conscience about your exhaust around cops, if you have manual, just put the damn thing in neutral till they go their usual "50 mph" around you, or just don't accelerate as much around them. But check on that DB noise level law, cause I'd like to know for sure as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know someone in my state that got pull over because of the TRD exhaust.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Land of the FREE my ****!!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my god dude don't even get me started on the VA State Police. We have the most retarded exhaust law I have ever heard. It has to be stock or "stock-like" anything else is illegal, no exceptions. This means that the cops are allowed to use their ignorant judgement as to what is legal or not.

I would have the dealership write you a letter stating that it's a factory option and take that to court to get out of that $85 ticket.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah man....the TRD def looks like the stock exhaust, just a bigger tip...so you should have no problems with getting out of that ticket. Just take pics of both exhaust, or have your car compared to a stock car and that judge will probably laugh at that cop for wasting his time.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...10000000000000

State Traffic Laws
http://public.findlaw.com/traffic-ti...e-traffic-law/
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
the TRD exhaust is 100% legal. cops might keep pulling you over, but inform that that it is a dealer installed option, and it is a toyota/scion accessory. if need be, go to the scion website, and print out the detail of the TRD exhaust, and keep it in your car at all times to show a cop if u ever get pulled over for it again.
doesn't matter if it's installed by the factory. my brother couldn't pass inspection in new jersey because of the factory tint. they made him take it off. he had it for 2 days, went to inspection, and failed.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
doesn't matter if it's installed by the factory. my brother couldn't pass inspection in new jersey because of the factory tint. they made him take it off. he had it for 2 days, went to inspection, and failed.
Factory Tint??? The glass is BUILT with darker glass (privacy glass) my friend (on xB's, SUV's, Vans, Etc.). are you sure your not refering to the DEALER installing tint? If the dealer installed tint, thats still aftermarket tint.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I contacted the fine folks at TRD, Inc directly (since the dealer wanted nothing to do with this) and they are sending me a letter to carry in my car stating the exhaust complies with state and local noise ordinances in 50 states.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

niiiice....
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Tenax1970
I contacted the fine folks at TRD, Inc directly (since the dealer wanted nothing to do with this) and they are sending me a letter to carry in my car stating the exhaust complies with state and local noise ordinances in 50 states.
very good. glad TRD could help you.