Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Exhaust ticket CA [Update]

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Exhaust ticket CA [Update]

Ok i have searched, posted on some threads and no answers. I have a 05 Scion tC with a TRD exhaust. I recently got pulled over by LAPD for my exhaust.I had i paper printed that states the exhaust is legal, and he said "This is just a printed out paper, i need something from the judge". He gave me a fix-it ticket. I dont want to go get it inspected by the CHP, ect due to the fees they charge. I dont have to pay to get my book legal exhaust checked. So ive been from dealer to dealer to ask them to give me anything concrete to show the judge. They all give me printed out papers like the one I showed the cop. My court date is on the 25th and wanted to ask you guys what shoukd i take to court?
By the way ive tried calling TRD and Scion Corps already. They just say to take the judge the printed paper.

Update*
So i went to court with a specification sheet and a certificate that was faxed by TRD and pictures of the exhaust on my car. After 5 months of extensions, the cop thinks that im trying to get him to not show. He does show up. I go to the court room and wait till my case was next. Cop then calls me out of the court room and asks "Why are you fighting this case". I tell him that my exhaust is book legal. He then asks for the things that im going to show the judge. I felt a little powerless and bothered at the moment. So i end up showing him. Blah blah blah he tries to make me get scared telling me im going to lose. I tell him ok. Go sit back down and a lawyer happens to be next to me. I tell him my situation, and he tells me i have a good case. Cop comes again, this time to where i was sitting. Asks to see the pictures and the certificate. He then starts to argue with me again. Telling me that he wrote on his notes" He had a permit for a modified exhaust". I then get angry and tell him "You were wearing a damn helmet and i happen to pass you in an intersection that is really busy ,many cars and busses happened to be next to me". Lawyer next to me calms me down by saying that i shouldnt argue with the cop. By the way the Judge was having a good day or something, because he was cracking little jokes and working deals on getting the fines reduced so i felt lucky to have him. Next thing you know, the cop calls me out and tells me,"Were going to a different court room to have our case handled". At the moment im clueless and follow. We enter a courtroom and i felt out of place in there. It was quiet, only like 2 people were in there, 3 sheriffs chatting. Not even the judge was in seat. Judge comes out and cop explains his story and so did i ,after. I ask the judge for a paper from court that states ive been pulled over and blah blah so that it wont happen again. He refuses to. I ask the cop "Can i have something so that this wont happen again". He tells me to show the cops the paper i showed the judge. I was like WTF. He tells me that cops are always going to harrass you even if its legal or not. BullS__. So basically what they said "Even if i won my case or not, doesnt mean the exhaust is legal. Somethings need to change to stop this from happening again.
Sorry for writing my story of my life.

Last edited by frankiietc; 01-26-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you tell them that it was stock from the dealer? That is technically true! I also have papers showing legality, so I hope if I get pulled over the cop would accept it.

Were you doing anything to warrant the pull over?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm

Your exhaust just needs to make the decibel requirements set forth by the law. Make an appointment with the state ref. It's free. They will do a decibel test. Make sure your entire exhaust system is intact (no headers, straight pipes, etc.). They do not care about intakes, so if you have one, don't worry. Once that's done, bring your corrected ticket and proof to the window at your local courthouse and pay the $25 fix-it ticket.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesnt Matter.

I got a State Ref ticket for Axle-Back Exhaust I have an Automatic...Not loud at all...I cleared the State Ref got the Legal papers saying I was SMOG & Decibel ok.

Went to my Court Date...Judge looked skimmed through it and was like "Well still going to fine you".

basically its up to the Judge and if he's an **** or Not too.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude that fing blows.... there has to be some law to protect us from dumb ___ judges.. the exhaust is legal and stock option from the dealer. on my trd 5.0 it came stock not even as an option. I would be more then ____ed if i got a ticket for something that came stock on my car. I would appeal the ticket. get a lawyer and sue the city for making the mistake. it cost money but maybe when your lawyer gets involved he can get the city to pay the legal cost. I don't know thinking about it gets my blood boiling. So tired of law enforcement in general. We need huge reform in all aspects of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The point is, why should I have to get my exhaust checked when it's legal by book. It's a fact that it's legal.
I don't have time to go to the DMV because I go to school full time .
@delft I feel the same way you do, it pi__s me off that even after I show him a printed out paper, and tell him everything in a polite way, even that I'm going to plead not guilty, and he still gives me the ticket.. There should be a law where cops that are not informed about exhausts, ect can't give you a ticket. I can't wait to make that cop look like an idiot in front of the judge. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show up..
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, that law doesn't even make any sense!

" No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle"

an internal combustion engine is very loud by nature, any type of exhaust system muffles the noise an engine makes, no exhaust system amplifies the noise an engine makes, they just do a more or less effective job of suppressing the noise it makes.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did not modify my TRD exhaust to amplify noise.. It came like that stock.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frankiietc
I did not modify my TRD exhaust to amplify noise.. It came like that stock.
nobody is saying you did.

what i am saying is that an engine, no it's own, running without an exhaust system is super loud. the purpose of an exhaust system, in addition to redirecting the flow of exhaust gases, and running it through a cat, is that it quiets down the exhaust noise, which is really really loud. so any type of muffler or resonator is designed to quiet the noise the engine makes. not amplify it. they just might not quiet it down as much as the oem exhaust system.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm

Your exhaust just needs to make the decibel requirements set forth by the law. Make an appointment with the state ref. It's free. They will do a decibel test. Make sure your entire exhaust system is intact (no headers, straight pipes, etc.). They do not care about intakes, so if you have one, don't worry. Once that's done, bring your corrected ticket and proof to the window at your local courthouse and pay the $25 fix-it ticket.
dude, it's a $108 fix now.. not free at the ref.. trust me, i went there 2 months ago and had to pay that. =\
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member

Damn That's BS, the TRD exhaust isn't even that loud.. Cops's are always looking for any reason to give out a ticket.. Hope it get's overturned man..
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkTC
dude, it's a $108 fix now.. not free at the ref.. trust me, i went there 2 months ago and had to pay that. =\
damn that sucks...glad I got my sh__ signed off when I did then.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah robert, you're real lucky.. lol
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All you need to do is take your paperwork in. Be confident but respectful to the judge. Explain yourself and if it doesnt go in your favor you could always appeal...i think. I have legal representation so I'll run it by lawyer and see what he says. Also if your not wanting to contest, you did put contest right ?, then you can do it by mail. Just mail your defense statement explaining what happened and I would add pictures of your exhaust. A video of your exhaust would hurt either. Also send in your specs paperwork on the TRD exhaust in with it and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HOLLOWMANGT69
All you need to do is take your paperwork in. Be confident but respectful to the judge. Explain yourself and if it doesnt go in your favor you could always appeal...i think. I have legal representation so I'll run it by lawyer and see what he says. Also if your not wanting to contest, you did put contest right ?, then you can do it by mail. Just mail your defense statement explaining what happened and I would add pictures of your exhaust. A video of your exhaust would hurt either. Also send in your specs paperwork on the TRD exhaust in with it and see what happens.
I already went to court to plead not guilty. So there going to bring the cop to say his side of story. Sorry but its my first time fighting a ticket. Hopefully these printed out papers are more than enough:/
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fewjative
Did you tell them that it was stock from the dealer? That is technically true! I also have papers showing legality, so I hope if I get pulled over the cop would accept it.

Were you doing anything to warrant the pull over?
He was on a motorcycle so you know that explains it all
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
lol, that law doesn't even make any sense!

" No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle"

an internal combustion engine is very loud by nature, any type of exhaust system muffles the noise an engine makes, no exhaust system amplifies the noise an engine makes, they just do a more or less effective job of suppressing the noise it makes.
Illinois, and basically all other states in the union state the same thing. It basically says you cannot have a vehicle with an exhaust louder then stock. Basically it would be upto the judge over wether or not it violates the law. No matter how poorly it is written, its till the law. You can argue it either way.

Edit: Motorcycles are a different story. Most will argue the loud exhaust will aid in them not being run over. Once again, all personal preference.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^what would you recommend to take to court?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I've been pulled over four times with my old TRD. They never gave me problem which made me believe that I would get away with something better like Agency Power.

Traded the TRD for AP. Turns out, I get a warning with it. Got it fixed but never reported it. Threw back on the AP. Got nailed again by WI state trooper; he gave me 200 dollar fine.

So I'm running "Black Betty" aka OEM.

Me, personally. I would walk into my dealership and walk to the parts counter. Asked them if they can scan the TRD part catlog page of the exhaust. (its VERY HARD to type up a catlog page to fake it) If they couldn't; me personally since they know me. I'll asked them if I can borrow it for an hour and scan it home.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
Well, I've been pulled over four times with my old TRD. They never gave me problem which made me believe that I would get away with something better like Agency Power.

Traded the TRD for AP. Turns out, I get a warning with it. Got it fixed but never reported it. Threw back on the AP. Got nailed again by WI state trooper; he gave me 200 dollar fine.

So I'm running "Black Betty" aka OEM.

Me, personally. I would walk into my dealership and walk to the parts counter. Asked them if they can scan the TRD part catlog page of the exhaust. (its VERY HARD to type up a catlog page to fake it) If they couldn't; me personally since they know me. I'll asked them if I can borrow it for an hour and scan it home.
Well I've tried to go to the parts counter at different dealers and all they give me is a printed paper that states the TRD is legal but that's it. Nothing more concrete:/

Quick Reply: TRD Exhaust ticket CA [Update]