Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Exhaust ticket CA [Update]

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think you really have much to worry about. Course I remember my first ticket that I fought. (tailgating I was a only 15 then, stupid cop) In your case I would simply bring the documentation that you recieved from the parts stores you went to. As long as each paper backs up the other, stating that it passes emissions and such then you should be fine. Plus I would bring up the fact that the exhaust is sold by TOYOTA, a well respected dealership. Its not like you bought it from GREDDY, which isnt a dealership but a parts supplier. If the judge does find it to be illegal than I would recommend them to take it up with the dealership. Honestly in my opinion the cop was just looking for an easy ticket and didnt think you would put up a fight. Here in washington, if the cop doesnt show up for the hearing the case is dismissed so there is a strong chance that he wont even waste his time. However just in case he does I would bring detailed photographs of your exhaust sytem, from header to exhaust tip, and show that the only thing that was upgraded was, as a stock option performance option, was the rear part of the exhaust.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just made a binder of the TRD 2011 catlog. Not only I'm going to have that in there; but I'm also going to track down my dealer documents when I got my 1st one installed & I'm going to throw in last November's emissions pass notice. Do a snap shot of it on the car with my license plate in clear view, and also the muffler side view with the "Walker Toyota PT400-52840" in clear view. Print out those pictures by 8x10 size.

"See officer, it says 50 state legal, dealer sold it to me and installed, and its been through emissions; which it passed."

I'm probably going to get another one this summer. And it wouldn't hurt to have some proof in the car anyway. If I have to fight it; I'll bring into court with me.

I know a guy with RS 5 that got nailed for the TRD. His friend knew his factory sticker tag was in the glove box. So he busted it out and pointed it out. Cop dropped it right there.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Just one more reason I won't ever move to CA...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try going to the dealership and getting something
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
I just made a binder of the TRD 2011 catlog. Not only I'm going to have that in there; but I'm also going to track down my dealer documents when I got my 1st one installed & I'm going to throw in last November's emissions pass notice. Do a snap shot of it on the car with my license plate in clear view, and also the muffler side view with the "Walker Toyota PT400-52840" in clear view. Print out those pictures by 8x10 size.

"See officer, it says 50 state legal, dealer sold it to me and installed, and its been through emissions; which it passed."

I'm probably going to get another one this summer. And it wouldn't hurt to have some proof in the car anyway. If I have to fight it; I'll bring into court with me.

I know a guy with RS 5 that got nailed for the TRD. His friend knew his factory sticker tag was in the glove box. So he busted it out and pointed it out. Cop dropped it right there.
Now that is awesome !!!! Very nice
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is ridiculous if you ask me. You shouldnt have to pay ANYTHING, due to the fact that the exhaust is legal. Can't you just plead not guilty like you could to any other ticket? Than when you show up in court, show them the document from Toyota, and any judge in his right mind will immediately dismiss the case without cost.

**SIDENOTE** Im glad I live out here, we can run straight downpipe/headers/whatever and none of the cops care.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
This is ridiculous if you ask me. You shouldnt have to pay ANYTHING, due to the fact that the exhaust is legal. Can't you just plead not guilty like you could to any other ticket? Than when you show up in court, show them the document from Toyota, and any judge in his right mind will immediately dismiss the case without cost.

**SIDENOTE** Im glad I live out here, we can run straight downpipe/headers/whatever and none of the cops care.
That's how I feel also.. Instead they should give me money for the cop's stupid mistake, making me waste gas because the court is in Los Angeles (30 miles away). Also for making me look like a criminal in front of the judge. I did plead not guilty for it. And if the officer does not show up I'm going to ask fr another court Date to make sure he looks stupid. And also for what they did to me, I'm going to ask the judge for a notice to show the cops each time they pull me over for my exhaust. Which means I could run another exhaust
Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if you can call up Scion 800# and tell them what happened. See if they would send you some type of letter saying its legal. They have their own professional grade letter paper with Scion logo seal on the upper left hand corner.

When I wrote them "Thank You" letter back in July; they gave me "Thank You" letter reply letter on this purplish paper with silver Scion logo seal above the Torrance, CA address.

They will probably tell you to call TRD.

Its not fair that you were given crap when its legally stated that its "legal."
Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been pulled over for my TRD exhaust here before also. I argued with the cop for about 5 mins stating that the exhaust was legal and he was saying it was way over the db limit I finally just pulled the paper out of my glovebox, showing i had purchased and had the TRD exhaust installed at the dealership and he paused for a min. He then said "Ok ill give you the benefit of the doubt". I was like WTF its right there on PAPER! There are just some cops that try to find any reason to f___ with you.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
I wonder if you can call up Scion 800# and tell them what happened. See if they would send you some type of letter saying its legal. They have their own professional grade letter paper with Scion logo seal on the upper left hand corner.

When I wrote them "Thank You" letter back in July; they gave me "Thank You" letter reply letter on this purplish paper with silver Scion logo seal above the Torrance, CA address.

They will probably tell you to call TRD.

Its not fair that you were given crap when its legally stated that its "legal."
Well i called Scion Corperate and theres nothing that they can do about it. But by the time they send me that letter it might be past the 25th.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyPnOtIk
I have been pulled over for my TRD exhaust here before also. I argued with the cop for about 5 mins stating that the exhaust was legal and he was saying it was way over the db limit I finally just pulled the paper out of my glovebox, showing i had purchased and had the TRD exhaust installed at the dealership and he paused for a min. He then said "Ok ill give you the benefit of the doubt". I was like WTF its right there on PAPER! There are just some cops that try to find any reason to f___ with you.
Yeah it all depends on the cop. This isnt my first time getting pulled over for it. All the other times the cops stood corrected. But i got a corrupted LAPD officer that was obviously arrogant and didnt want to admit defeat. My story relates to yours. I showed him the paper and he said "well i need one from the judge"
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What areas in Ca are you'll getting pulled over at?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Covina, downtown LA
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Won my case woo
Updated first page
Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!! man thats some bulls-t!!
congrats on your win by the way.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionCREW
WOW!! man thats some bulls-t!!
congrats on your win by the way.
Yeah but what can I do? Maybe next time a officer gives me a ticket for my exhaust, i'm getting a lawyer to counter-sue for harassment because that's how I feel! Pulling me over for it and letting me go is a diffrent story.
Thank you sir btw
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frankiietc
Ok i have searched, posted on some threads and no answers. I have a 05 Scion tC with a TRD exhaust. I recently got pulled over by LAPD for my exhaust.I had i paper printed that states the exhaust is legal, and he said "This is just a printed out paper, i need something from the judge". He gave me a fix-it ticket. I dont want to go get it inspected by the CHP, ect due to the fees they charge. I dont have to pay to get my book legal exhaust checked. So ive been from dealer to dealer to ask them to give me anything concrete to show the judge. They all give me printed out papers like the one I showed the cop. My court date is on the 25th and wanted to ask you guys what shoukd i take to court?
By the way ive tried calling TRD and Scion Corps already. They just say to take the judge the printed paper.

Update*
So i went to court with a specification sheet and a certificate that was faxed by TRD and pictures of the exhaust on my car. After 5 months of extensions, the cop thinks that im trying to get him to not show. He does show up. I go to the court room and wait till my case was next. Cop then calls me out of the court room and asks "Why are you fighting this case". I tell him that my exhaust is book legal. He then asks for the things that im going to show the judge. I felt a little powerless and bothered at the moment. So i end up showing him. Blah blah blah he tries to make me get scared telling me im going to lose. I tell him ok. Go sit back down and a lawyer happens to be next to me. I tell him my situation, and he tells me i have a good case. Cop comes again, this time to where i was sitting. Asks to see the pictures and the certificate. He then starts to argue with me again. Telling me that he wrote on his notes" He had a permit for a modified exhaust". I then get angry and tell him "You were wearing a damn helmet and i happen to pass you in an intersection that is really busy ,many cars and busses happened to be next to me". Lawyer next to me calms me down by saying that i shouldnt argue with the cop. By the way the Judge was having a good day or something, because he was cracking little jokes and working deals on getting the fines reduced so i felt lucky to have him. Next thing you know, the cop calls me out and tells me,"Were going to a different court room to have our case handled". At the moment im clueless and follow. We enter a courtroom and i felt out of place in there. It was quiet, only like 2 people were in there, 3 sheriffs chatting. Not even the judge was in seat. Judge comes out and cop explains his story and so did i ,after. I ask the judge for a paper from court that states ive been pulled over and blah blah so that it wont happen again. He refuses to. I ask the cop "Can i have something so that this wont happen again". He tells me to show the cops the paper i showed the judge. I was like WTF. He tells me that cops are always going to harrass you even if its legal or not. BullS__. So basically what they said "Even if i won my case or not, doesnt mean the exhaust is legal. Somethings need to change to stop this from happening again.
Sorry for writing my story of my life.
Congrats on your win. ok two things. One I can see how maybe the cop would have thought you were trying to make him not show with extending 5 times. lol. Thats a bit much but I'm sure you have your reasons. Second, that is complete and total crap that he would ask to see your documentation. That is harrassment. I understand that you felt a little powerless but as a citizen who is in the right you have TONS of power. Never feel like your a second class citizen when your holding documentation that proves your innocent. For that officer to ask you, "Why are you fighting this?" that was his first mistake. The whole reason of going to court is for the judge to review the facts and make a decision. He went out of his jurisdiction and harrassed you trying to make you feel like an idiot for trying to defend yourself. Unfortunately I dont think you would still be able to sue him for this due to the fact that you didnt have an attorney. However if your able to track down the attorney who was there that had calmed you down you could get some information from them. I have PRE-PAID LEGAL, which is great cause they go to court for me. However not for non-moving violations, such as MODIFIED EXHAUST INFRACTIONS. Instead they just write up a letter for me and then I mail it in or take it to court. Either way its great o have. Besides it kept me out of a possible very bad ticket and HUGE FINE!!! I'll let your imagination figure that one out.

Anyways congrats on your win.
I still feel bad for you though with the cop giving you crap.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HOLLOWMANGT69
Congrats on your win. ok two things. One I can see how maybe the cop would have thought you were trying to make him not show with extending 5 times. lol. Thats a bit much but I'm sure you have your reasons. Second, that is complete and total crap that he would ask to see your documentation. That is harrassment. I understand that you felt a little powerless but as a citizen who is in the right you have TONS of power. Never feel like your a second class citizen when your holding documentation that proves your innocent. For that officer to ask you, "Why are you fighting this?" that was his first mistake. The whole reason of going to court is for the judge to review the facts and make a decision. He went out of his jurisdiction and harrassed you trying to make you feel like an idiot for trying to defend yourself. Unfortunately I dont think you would still be able to sue him for this due to the fact that you didnt have an attorney. However if your able to track down the attorney who was there that had calmed you down you could get some information from them. I have PRE-PAID LEGAL, which is great cause they go to court for me. However not for non-moving violations, such as MODIFIED EXHAUST INFRACTIONS. Instead they just write up a letter for me and then I mail it in or take it to court. Either way its great o have. Besides it kept me out of a possible very bad ticket and HUGE FINE!!! I'll let your imagination figure that one out.

Anyways congrats on your win.
I still feel bad for you though with the cop giving you crap.
Thank you. And for a second I was going to ask for his business card because anything can happen. Yeah I agree! But these corrupted looking LA courts will not accept defeat! I asked everyone, after I won my case, that what should I do to not have this happen again. And one sheriff was a really big idiot. With his attitude even when I asked nicely. "Nah even if you won your case doesn't mean your exhaust is legal they will still harass you for it until you take it off" I got that answer a couple times!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still if you can prove it in court then your fine. Plus if you do get another ticket and a different judge rules differently I'm pretty sure thats not legal at all.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cops out here are absurd.. I moved out here from Ohio about 4 years ago, and its crazy to be honest. Last new years eve I was pulled over 4 times in the 2 mile drive home from work (I'm a bartender). So while being harassed and sobriety checked for smelling like booze (I don't even drink). Cop notices my exhaust tsudo catback.. makes me start my car so he can hear it. So I go start it up, and he claims he has a decibel meter.. so he's standing behind my car with what looks like an ink pen, while some drunk driver jerk nearly runs him over.. At that point all I could do was say "glad to see our tax dollars hard at work". Cop shot me a dirty look told me to go the f__k home, and went back to his cruiser to chase down the drunk. I mean I did some really dumb stuff in Ohio when I was young and got plenty of tickets for my behavior.. but out here it seems way way overkill for absolutely nothing! I'm glad you won your case.. when I get ticketed for mine which I know eventually I will. All of you have given me some great ideas for fighting it.

Quick Reply: TRD Exhaust ticket CA [Update]