Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

trd intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trd intake

if TRD intake is carb-illegal, how do the cars pass emission test? and since they're illegal, why do toyota allows customers to drive off their scion tcs once they install the trd CAI for them?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also do u need an antifouler or someting to pass CEL?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the dealer will try to make money where they can, (hope you know its a re-badged AEM's intake), so that's why they sell it, yes its not carb legal, but if its installed by a dealer you will not void your warranty(someone correct me if I'm wrong), the intake will not pass visual inspections during smoging so you'll have to take it off for that and no you don't need an anti-fouler, that's only for after market header(s).
Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

Just because a part doesn't have a CARB EO number doesn't mean the part is illegal. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board. They make regulations for the state of California, and some other states choose to follow some or all of those regulations. Most states do not.

The TRD intake will have little to no effect on emissions. It doesn't change the airflow enough that the stock ECU can't compensate, so the emissions will be pretty much identical.

I'm not positive about this part, but I'm fairly sure that the intake is considered a standard option - and therefore doesn't need an EO number anyways. However, if you're trying to convince an emissions official (EDIT: or a cop!) who is inspecting your car of this... good luck. All they see is "RICER!"

Last edited by Un4Scene; 07-11-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in Maryland, any one know the legality for this part in this state?

TRD/aem intake seems like the cheapest
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Un4Scene
Just because a part doesn't have a CARB EO number doesn't mean the part is illegal. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board. They make regulations for the state of California, and some other states choose to follow some or all of those regulations. Most states do not.

The TRD intake will have little to no effect on emissions. It doesn't change the airflow enough that the stock ECU can't compensate, so the emissions will be pretty much identical.

I'm not positive about this part, but I'm fairly sure that the intake is considered a standard option - and therefore doesn't need an EO number anyways. However, if you're trying to convince an emissions official who is inspecting your car of this... good luck. All they see is "RICER!"
If a cop pulls you over here in Cali and sees no CARB # on it, he'll classify it as an illegal part, so yes if a part does not have on OE # it is illegal(I guess this depends on where you are at), but I think I get what you are trying to say, not all of these after market parts will fail emissions, just visual inspection.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope MD cops aren't that assy
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
If a cop pulls you over here in Cali and sees no CARB # on it, he'll classify it as an illegal part, so yes if a part does not have on OE # it is illegal(I guess this depends on where you are at), but I think I get what you are trying to say, not all of these after market parts will fail emissions, just visual inspection.
That's exactly what I'm saying, and also that most states don't require CARB EO numbers. For example, here in Nebraska, there is absolutely no emissions inspection at all, and I'd be surprised if most of the cops here even know what an exemption order is.

I'm not saying that the parts are 50-state legal - just that their illegality in CA doesn't mean that they are illegal everywhere. The OP doesn't say what state they're in. Dealers have absolutely no issue with selling these parts in most places. Edited my previous post for you.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-Some states have higher emission standards than others. And with that they create laws/rules that make unlawful to increase those emissions. So they make it Illegal on some parts. Im sure most of this bolt-ons don't really screw with the car's emissions that much. And some cops are nice and let you off, while others will just give ya the ticket.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uhsentc
i hope MD cops aren't that assy
I live in MD, I had the TRD intake when i was naturally aspirated. If you need and MD state inspection to register the vehicle, you might need a stock intake, but for the 2 year emissions testing, you'll be 100% fine. also, cops don't bother you about intake, they might bother you if your exhaust is obnoxious.

also, TRD intake does not void your warranty, but it is considered an off-road racing part, and had only a parts warranty. it is not a factory or standard option, it is a dealership accessory.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
also, TRD intake does not void your warranty, but it is considered an off-road racing part, and had only a parts warranty. it is not a factory or standard option, it is a dealership accessory.
Thanks for clarifying this. I wasn't sure. In the past, some dealer's have built "trunk kits" because they weren't allowed to install "off-road" parts. A trunk kit is basically performance parts that they can sell with the car, but they're not allowed to install them - so they just put them in the trunk for you. I was guessing that since the dealerships are allowed to install these that they weren't necessarily illegal in that respect. I guess I was wrong.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

TRD intake is for "off road use only", meaning not street/carb legal.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mos_Def
TRD intake is for "off road use only", meaning not street/carb legal.
Just because that's posted on a product doesn't mean that the part is illegal. Most aftermarket wheels say the same thing and they are still legal. Hell, I've seen cupholders and seatcovers that had that printed on the tag. That's just a disclaimer so that the manufacturer can't be held responsible if something happens. It has nothing to do with the legality of the part.

I'm not trying to start an argument here. All I've been trying to explain from my first post on here is that the legality of parts is very complicated, and that any single part may be legal in one place and illegal in another at the same time. There is no simple "legal or illegal" answer. Actually, it's specifically because it's so complicated that manufacturers put that disclaimer on everything. They can't know where the part will be used at, so they have no way of knowing if it will be used legally. The only thing that simplifies this system is a CARB EO number. CARB has the strictest requirements of any organization on the continent (if not the world), so if the part is CARB legal, then it is assumed to be universally legal. That being said, CARB doesn't like to certify anything as being legal regardless of it's effect. More than likely, Toyota could submit the TRD intake for CARB certification, but CARB would drag their feet and drown the thing in paperwork for a couple of years, and probably charge an outrageous sum. So why should the manufacturer bother? Most states don't give a squat about a CARB EO number anyways. Most owners don't want to cover the underside of their hood with stupid CARB EO plates for each and every part, and most shops don't want to waste their time putting the plates on. Honestly, I seriously doubt if the people at CARB care one iota about somebodies riced out import. All they want is headlines and government funding so that they can appear to be more important and powerful to all the rest of the beaurocrats who are fighting to get those same headlines and that same government funding.

Yes, unfortunately that really is what it's all about. Nobody actually cares. They just pretend to in an attempt to accrue more money and power. If they really did care then they would have outlawed anything made before 1973, taxed the manufacturers of racing parts for destroying the ozone, and required all freight that's being shipped farther than 100 miles to go by train. . . .

...And I'm not gonna say anything else in case one of them happens to read this and get some ridiculous ideas.